Heads Up: LR6 is out

I know, it's crazy, Ed. It's due to our particular circumstances and our inability to get out of a contract here in Germany. We should be able to switch in the summer, by which time Lightroom should have downloaded! (It's actually now saying 9 hours 43 min.)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally upgraded my Lightroom 4 & Adobe CS4 to the new CC versions. Only used them a few times, but both initially seem much faster, as some other commentators said on a thread I can't find.

Finally upgraded my Lightroom 4 & Adobe CS4 to the new CC versions. Only used them a few times, but both initially seem much faster, as some other commentators said on a thread I can't find.

Yes. PSCS5 and later have the ability to use much more RAM than earlier versions which make them much faster if working on even moderately large files and amazingly faster if working on panoramas assuming one has sufficient RAM on board. CS6 had a brand new graphics engine which makes the graphics way faster if the graphics card is compatible. Lightroom 6 is definitely faster in some respects than earlier versions but they really need to improve the graphics I think. 

Yes. PSCS5 and later have the ability to use much more RAM than earlier versions which make them much faster if working on even moderately large files and amazingly faster if working on panoramas assuming one has sufficient RAM on board. CS6 had a brand new graphics engine which makes the graphics way faster if the graphics card is compatible. Lightroom 6 is definitely faster in some respects than earlier versions but they really need to improve the graphics I think. 

TBH mine only has 4GB of RAM, so it was fine when I had a relatively small back up a few years ago and smaller file sizes. Even having my back up on a different drive wasn't helping, but both seem much faster at the moment. So for those thinking of upgrading, my initial workflow is much quicker

The new version really seems to benefit from my graphics card too (nvidia supporting CUDA).  The facial recognition functions are... interesting but massively time consuming and only of use if relevant.

Been using the HDR for a number of jobs and definately has benefited from turning off the GPU use. I assume this is because of the reported (by Adobe) lag with previews associated with non-CPU working. Pity as I liked the instant response to sliders with GPu but it's far more critcial to me to not be wasting time with GPU issues with the HDR.

Clearly Adobe can make use of the GPU very well in other software but in LRCC, it's not plain sailing...pity!!

1024 cuda cores going to waste.... :(

Just upgraded on CC and everything seems fine.  It upgraded while I was having breakfast.  :D

Marvin, is the upgrade not automatic with CC? Which I have.... I'm confused. I keep getting notifications, but when I click on the supplied link, it takes me to the page where you have to buy it. Is the upgrade free for CC users or do we have to buy it? And is the download automatically done or do I have to actively download it? I assume so, reading your post.

I thought the whole idea of subscription was the monthly fee covered upgrades.

Just upgraded on CC and everything seems fine.  It upgraded while I was having breakfast.  :D

Marvin, is the upgrade not automatic with CC? Which I have.... I'm confused. I keep getting notifications, but when I click on the supplied link, it takes me to the page where you have to buy it. Is the upgrade free for CC users or do we have to buy it? And is the download automatically done or do I have to actively download it? I assume so, reading your post.

I thought the whole idea of subscription was the monthly fee covered upgrades.

Click on the Adobe Creative Cloud application and you'll can choose to upgrade, as will all apps. Important as it doesn't force you to upgrade until you're ready.

Mike

I'm going to show my stupid in all it's glory. When you say CC app, what are you talking about?

What is the app? What I click on to open LR? I think not....

I went to Finder/Applications and clicked on Adobe CC. If that's what you're calling the App. I see two things and one of them is the uninstall icon. I double clicked on the other one above (looks like a cloud) but it doesn't open or do anything.

Gahhh, I hate this technical stuff!

Betty, the red icon with a white cloud should be your path to updates/trials etc. It should be in program files or as a shortcut on the desktop. If it's not working, you need to reinstall. Not sure with OSX but you also should have an extension manager for third party softwares that need to be applied by that route.

Also make sure you update PSCC to 2014 otherwise your LRCC will have to create proxy TIFFs when you move between latest LR and CC.

I'm using the trial version on OS10.10 Yosemite.

In the grey bar that runs along the screen there is a Creative Cloud icon on the right hand side (Looks like the infinity symbol).  Click that and a menu appears. Clicks apps and it should have LR listed under installed apps.

The other way to get there is via the Apps folder as you describe above. As Geoff says it might be worth reinstalling.

Michael

Well, I mustered out of the army and rejoined. I crawled through a minefield, under barbed wire, while dodging bullets from all directions. This was all through a thick fog, so I was never quite sure if I was doing it right. I came out on the other side, in a safe zone, and there was a mean guy, snarl on his lips, standing in front of me, arms crossed over the word "Adobe" written across his chest.

He ordered me to go back the way I came. I bellied though all the above bad things again, and there I was, where I started. Somehow, don't ask me just exactly, I found a new path and made it through to the safe side again.

Once there, the bad man had turned into an angel with the words "upgrade successful" written across her chest.

All kidding aside, I think I'll go design a new rocket. It'll be easier. Thanks for all your suggestions and help!

Betty

Edited to add...this whole boondoggle was caused by my deleting the Adobe app after installing CC the first time. Nowhere did I ever see "Do NOT delete this app, you will need it in the future!"

So I kept it around for a bit, didn't like it cluttering my desktop and sent it to Trash. Then I checked PS and LR to see if everything still worked. It did, so I emptied trash.

It was only after reinstalling the app today that I recognized it was what I had at one time.

Now you all can remove your hands from your foreheads where you just clapped them.

Archived