Sign in to follow this  
Alamy

Alamy blog - Photographing Longevity

Photographing Longevity - thoughts on the trend of contemporary photography depicting seniors.

Read more...

Are selfies OK? B)

Love your humor John! I was thinking the same.....about me.

All my contemporaries have either moved away, have become alienated from me, or died. 

senior-citizens-sightseeing-in-rome-B4X4

Are selfies OK? B)

Love your humor John! I was thinking the same.....about me.

Thanks. I guess I missed my calling.

Welcome to the next big thing in the stock photo world: "Long-in-the-tooth-imo."

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1

All my contemporaries have either moved away, have become alienated from me, or died. 

Nonetheless, you're still around and snapping away, Edo.

Definitely a timely blog post. In Canada, one in five people is over age 65 (at 66, I'm now in that group), and the proportion is expected to increase steadily. Many people are also postponing retirement to well beyond 65, perhaps indefinitely due to economic pressures.

Edited by John Mitchell

I was just admiring the agility of these seniors, who also walked an entire parade.

vancouver-canada-22nd-february-2015-colo

Caught this scene in a small Italian town

europe-eu-italy-italia-pensioners-retire

This one sold recently, taken in the Florida Keys

an-older-couple-watches-the-sun-set-by-a

Edited by Michael Ventura

Retirement… Well, could be:

Playing lazy lizard on deserted sandy beaches.

two-retired-people-relaxing-on-whitehave

Reading books alone in public parks while some others are rushing to go to work.

beautiful-mature-woman-reading-a-book-si

Having fun with grandchildren.

grandchild-and-grandmother-having-fun-to

Going to Heavy Metal festivals with favorite granddaughter… \m/

hellfest-festival-EG00YA.jpg

Olivier

Edited by Olivier Parent

Oh, and though there are no seniors in these, when talking about longevity…

hospital-bed-C3DBM0.jpg

hospital-bed-C3AK32.jpg

Olivier

pensioners-playing-bowls-masham-yorkshir     early-evening-in-the-olde-ship-hotel-sea

Game of Bowls, or a quiet pint and a chat in the pub, that's the life!

Elderly people often need a companion...

prizewinner-welsh-collie-at-village-dog-

...or a wheelchair...

elderly-woman-in-a-wheelchair-admiring-y

...or an ice cream

ice-cream-kiosk-with-woman-enjoying-an-i

Alan

Ah, old age ^_^ Would it mean stop working and having plenty of time to relax and enjoy life

or ............ would it mean still working your butt off 'cause you can't survive on your measly pension :(

No and Yes, in that order.

Alan

• Upvote 2

Or you have time to work on the Hot Rod

senior-citizen-in-roadster-hot-rod-isola

Some women in our local society work hard well into their old age. This is just one Asian senior who I see, all day, every day, collecting cans and bottles for their 5-cent deposit. 

old-asian-woman-gathering-soda-cans-and-

Ah, old age ^_^ Would it mean stop working and having plenty of time to relax and enjoy life

or ............ would it mean still working your butt off 'cause you can't survive on your measly pension :(

Alan

True enough, but it is possible to combine the two -- i.e. work can be play. At least that's what I'm hoping.

True enough, but it is possible to combine the two -- i.e. work can be play. At least that's what I'm hoping.

That's what I hoped too, but in reality it's becoming a chore that I would rather not have to do. Despite still enjoying my work there are so many other things I want to do as well.

Alan

That's what I hoped too, but in reality it's becoming a chore that I would rather not have to do. Despite still enjoying my work there are so many other things I want to do as well.

Alan

I hear you. You do look a wee bit stressed -- or at least pensive -- in your new avatar photo. B)

Your never to old to play in the street!

old-man-playing-chess-in-shoreditch-mark

Parm

Despite still enjoying my work there are so many other things I want to do as well.

I hear you. You do look a wee bit stressed -- or at least pensive -- in your new avatar photo. B)

Definitely not stressed! That was an example of those other things I want to do - I was listening intently at a poetry evening.

Alan

Despite still enjoying my work there are so many other things I want to do as well.

Definitely not stressed! That was an example of those other things I want to do - I was listening intently at a poetry evening.

Alan

Aha! That explains it. I used to write a lot of poetry, even had some published. However, my muse abandoned me. Perhaps it will return in my later years.

image-of-kate-omara-take-at-the-misty-mo

I am lucky to be able to regularly photograph actors and actresses from the theatre, TV and film,  some of whom have  had a long career in the business and consequently come into the category of longevity. The image of Kate O'Mare is an example,  although Kate is sadly no longer with us,  she did have a very long and illustrious career.