Do I really need Adobe CC if I have Lightroom 5+ & Photoshop CS 6?

My annual renewal is coming up.  Is there anything in Adobe CC that I don't have already with the above programs I already have?

I really detest monthly subscription fees on my cards.

L

My annual renewal is coming up.  Is there anything in Adobe CC that I don't have already with the above programs I already have?

L

No  :)

Photoshop is a massively overpowered tool for pure RAW/Photo processing, especially when you consider LR can do 99% of stuff you need. So unless you use a lot of image manipulation or 3d rendering then I would say you'd safely get by with CS6 for some time to come.

Of course, Adobe at some point may stop updating CS6 for new OS's which would force us to sign up to CC or, look for an alternative. I'd rather look for the alternative than go subscription though!

L

Photoshop is a massively overpowered tool for pure RAW/Photo processing, especially when you consider LR can do 99% of stuff you need. So unless you use a lot of image manipulation or 3d rendering then I would say you'd safely get by with CS6 for some time to come.

Of course, Adobe at some point may stop updating CS6 for new OS's which would force us to sign up to CC or, look for an alternative. I'd rather look for the alternative than go subscription though!

I think you're right. I think that new program in Beta might be good too. I also have Pixelmator....

So,I'll take some time out for awhile from Adobe CC

Upped you +1

L

What format are you using to save your files? If you're working in CC and saving them as .PSD you should check to see if you can open them in CS6.

I thought I read somewhere that only some features are backward compatible.

One thing I like about Lightroom 5 is the Upright/Vertical/Level  feature which CS6 lacks. Of course you can always pre-process in LightRoom 5 and then finish in PS.

fD

I use LR4 and CS4. Provided that Adobe continues to offer LR as a standalone product it will be possible to update to the version that provides compatibility with your latest camera. To date it has been possible to update any version of LR to the latest offering. I guess it depends upon whether or not you need the bells and whistles of the latest version of PS, but suspect that few do.

What format are you using to save your files? If you're working in CC and saving them as .PSD you should check to see if you can open them in CS6.

I thought I read somewhere that only some features are backward compatible.

One thing I like about Lightroom 5 is the Upright/Vertical/Level  feature which CS6 lacks. Of course you can always pre-process in LightRoom 5 and then finish in PS.

I save in DNG format in Lightroom. I do all post processing in Lightroom unless I need to got to Photoshop CS6 to remove something or do a quick composite.

I think I only open up Photoshop about once a month yet use Lightroom every day.

L

I just tried to cancel Adobe CC and they don't let you 'just cancel.' They need to put you thru hoops first. Click around a few screens and then you have the option of forum,chat or call. So,I'll have to waste even more time tomorrow to cancel.

Nothing I dislike more than a long goodbye! Adobe,can't you just let me out of here?

How can I miss you if you won't go away?

L

Never been tempted by subscription to Adobe CC and continue to use CS5.1 and LR4. What I'm not too sure about is whether Adobe continue to provide back compatible RAW conversion for newer camera models although that's not a problem I've encountered yet.  Maybe if I buy a new camera I will find that I can no longer open the files?      

I just tried to cancel Adobe CC and they don't let you 'just cancel.' They need to put you thru hoops first. Click around a few screens and then you have the option of forum,chat or call. So,I'll have to waste even more time tomorrow to cancel.

Nothing I dislike more than a long goodbye! Adobe,can't you just let me out of here?

How can I miss you if you won't go away?

L

L

Photoshop (CS6 and later) is far superior to Lightroom for its graphics so much quicker for checking for spots etc.. I don't do heavy image manipulation or compositing but I like to do local contrast adjustments in my images and Photoshop is far superior in this regard - making and saving selections to use as curves adjustment layers (although the grad filter in Lightroom is very useful). I also do a lot of panoramas so Photoshop is not optional in my current workflow. It's hard to envisage a real alternative to Adobe (LR+PS) but it would be nice to see a really good one to provide some real competition - a raw converter, database and quality image editor all in one.

I'm still with CS6 but I did try out CC for a few days in late 2013 and there were no features in it that I needed which were not already in CS6. The ability to use ACR as a filter is good but this can be done just as easily by closing the file, working on it in LR, re-opening and saving. And had the same hassle as Linda cancelling my subscription. Making it difficult to cancel is a tactic I found very annoying. This seems to be getting more common for trial products.

Linda

Interesting comment you hate subscriptions on your card every month, a couple of years ago I would have agreed, now not so sure.

Looking into the future I see most 'serious' software SAaS (Sold As a Service) with regular subscriptions, Adobe was one of the first, now MS Office is there and I had an email from my accountant recommending various on-line accountancy services, again with monthly subscriptions.

For me a quick thump in the air calculations says it has not cost that much, I never have the hassle of 'updating' and for some applications it is transparent between my desktop, smartphone and iPad

For me it will be the future, as I said a couple of years ago not sure if I liked the idea but today far happier with it.

Linda

Interesting comment you hate subscriptions on your card every month, a couple of years ago I would have agreed, now not so sure.

Looking into the future I see most 'serious' software SAaS (Sold As a Service) with regular subscriptions, Adobe was one of the first, now MS Office is there and I had an email from my accountant recommending various on-line accountancy services, again with monthly subscriptions.

For me a quick thump in the air calculations says it has not cost that much, I never have the hassle of 'updating' and for some applications it is transparent between my desktop, smartphone and iPad

For me it will be the future, as I said a couple of years ago not sure if I liked the idea but today far happier with it.

A major downside to subscription is that you no longer have the use of the software if you cancel the subscription. So it's permanent if you need the software. And they can and usually do increase the price over the initial offer.

I'm Still happy with CS5, it does everything I need. A bother with Bridge that comes with CS5 though is the fact that it's ACR doesn't support files from my D750. I use Bridge for my file organizing and it's annoying that my RAW files are now just .NEF icons. I can work around it with the Nikon software that came with the camera, but it is a bit frustrating. That said, I'm not going to upgrade anything just for that little glitch -my workflow remains DxO Optics 10 with final touches in CS5.

Colin

I'm done buying new cameras, so compatibility in the future won't be a problem. I can do what I need to do with LR5 and CS5. However, Linda, you are ever the restless equipment buyer . . . so the Cloud might be essential for you (or maybe not).  ;)

I use Capture 1 Pro (I also have LR 4 but no longer use it) and PS CC5 will remain usable for TIFF files until it will no longer run on the current operating system. Previous experience suggests it will continue to run for several generations as long as I do not need to reinstall it. The installer would not work on a post WIndows XP operating system (even though PS had been running happily on Vista until I had a HD failure) which forced me to upgrade last time. If that happens again I will use Elements,GIMP or something else for the odd time I need a photo editor.

I'm done buying new cameras, so compatibility in the future won't be a problem. I can do what I need to do with LR5 and CS5. However, Linda, you are ever the restless equipment buyer . . . so the Cloud might be essential for you (or maybe not).  ;)

Well,I think I am over my bout of Gear Acquisition Syndrome at least for awhile. I think I'd rather buy more real estate than cameras for awhile.

If I get another camera in the near future,it may be the Nikon D750. I would have loved if the Sony A7 line had worked for me but I just don't feel the love for their line of lenses at this time and don't want to rely on adapters.

L

I'm Still happy with CS5, it does everything I need. A bother with Bridge that comes with CS5 though is the fact that it's ACR doesn't support files from my D750. I use Bridge for my file organizing and it's annoying that my RAW files are now just .NEF icons. I can work around it with the Nikon software that came with the camera, but it is a bit frustrating. That said, I'm not going to upgrade anything just for that little glitch -my workflow remains DxO Optics 10 with final touches in CS5.

Colin

You could consider Lightroom for its database capabilites as well as resolving the llittle glitch, especially if rumours that it is going to be subscription only are true. Bridge can be painfully buggy. I used it for years until late 2012 when I gave LR a try and I've never looked back. It is vastly better than Bridge as a database/organiser and has the same raw converter.

Colin

You could consider Lightroom for its database capabilites as well as resolving the llittle glitch, especially if rumours that it is going to be subscription only are true. Bridge can be painfully buggy. I used it for years until late 2012 when I gave LR a try and I've never looked back. It is vastly better than Bridge as a database/organiser and has the same raw converter.

I hate Lightroom for a database. I have over 1.3 million photos archived on various drives and I've used Mediapro since the early 1990s when it was iview. Everything is cataloged there. I never liked Bridge and do not use it either. Mostly Lightroom for captioning and editing. My plug ins I can use Standalone and I have other post processing programs I like as well.

So is this how Adobe gets ya sucked in for Creative Cloud? I tried to fire up my version of Photoshop CS6 and it isn't happening. Crashes when launching and now I will have to reinstall everything.

Oh they just stink all the way around. It worked before I started the 'cancel Adobe CC' process!  

Adobe you are desperate demons!

Grrrr.....

L

Thanks for relaying your experiences with CC Linda.

I use Lightroom 4 for importing; PS6 or occasionally 5 for editing, as my workflow revolves around layers which Lightroom dosen't, to my knowledge, support; and an early version of Elements, dosen't support 16bit, for a final check on the jpegs before upload.

If I have files from an unsupported camera I use the Adobe raw converter to change them to psds.

The CC may be nice and handy for organisations but for individuals like yours truly, it just ain't necessary. I also resent that you could have used CC for years and paid hundreds of £/$ but if you decide to terminate the agreement you are left with nothing. Adobe needs to rethink and give another option.

I'm late to this, but hope it helps anyway.

RAW Conversions

The biggest issue I'm aware of in staying with your older Adobe software arises when you buy a new camera.  For any release of LR or ACR, Adobe eventually stops releasing updates; at that point, those versions of LR and ACR lose the ability to read RAW's from new cameras.  That's also the point at which Bridge loses the ability to extract/construct a thumbnail for RAW from newer cameras.

You can use the RAW converter that came with your camera, or another RAW converter such as Phase One's Capture One.  Neither of these approaches will enable older versions of Bridge or LR to create thumbnails for newer RAW's, but your older Photoshop will still be happy to process any compatible format your RAW converter is able to produce (think .tiff).

DNG Format

I would not save anything in DNG format - but that's just little old paranoid me.  Most camera vendors add proprietary information to the RAW files, and Adobe will embed that in a DNG along with the rest of the proprietary RAW, even when they do not know how to take advantage of that information for RAW conversion.  The vendor's RAW converter can and usually will use the additional information; Adobe acknowledges the reality of this situation, but can't do anything about it if the vendor won't disclose existence and functionality of proprietary extensions.

Other Compatibility Issues

The biggest cross-version compatibility issue I'm aware of with the various flavours of Photoshop relates to .PSD files; you should go into Photoshop Preferences and set the option to maximize .PSD compatibility.  LR in CC does not understand older format .PSD files; you can fix the problem by setting the compatiblity option, and then re-saving .PSD files that LR rejects.  LR has done a pretty neat job of identifying problem files when I have them, and the fix is easy if laborious.

For context

I'm running CS4 Extended and CC, trying to figure out how to integrate LR into my workflow.  I make large stitched images outside PS, and regularly read large .PSD and .PSB files into Photoshop CS4 and CC for post-processing; no compatibility problems.  File size usually dictates I use .PSB files, but LR does not catalog them; go figure.

Regards

Lionel

. I also resent that you could have used CC for years and paid hundreds of £/$ but if you decide to terminate the agreement you are left with nothing. Adobe needs to rethink and give another option.

Not quite nothing. If you use Lightroom and end your subscription, you will still be able to use Lightroom, but the Develop Module will be disabled.

Adobe released this statement some time ago;

With the latest update to Lightroom 5.5 I believe we’ve also addressed a lingering concern in the community: What happens to my photographs after my membership ends? With Lightroom 5.5, at the end of a membership, the desktop application will continue to launch and provide access to the photographs managed within Lightroom as well as the Slideshow, Web, Book or Print creations that we know many photographers painstakingly create. The Develop and Map modules have been disabled in order to signal the end of the membership and the need to renew in order to receive Adobe’s continuous innovation in those areas. Access to Lightroom mobile workflows will also cease to function.

. I also resent that you could have used CC for years and paid hundreds of £/$ but if you decide to terminate the agreement you are left with nothing. Adobe needs to rethink and give another option.

Not quite nothing. If you use Lightroom and end your subscription, you will still be able to use Lightroom, but the Develop Module will be disabled.

Adobe released this statement some time ago;

With the latest update to Lightroom 5.5 I believe we’ve also addressed a lingering concern in the community: What happens to my photographs after my membership ends? With Lightroom 5.5, at the end of a membership, the desktop application will continue to launch and provide access to the photographs managed within Lightroom as well as the Slideshow, Web, Book or Print creations that we know many photographers painstakingly create. The Develop and Map modules have been disabled in order to signal the end of the membership and the need to renew in order to receive Adobe’s continuous innovation in those areas. Access to Lightroom mobile workflows will also cease to function.

So all the investment in post-production processing on those images is also effectively lost if you don't renew; that too is stored in the catalog. That will be 100s or more likely 1,000s of hours of work - how much is that worth? As to the innovation it is npt essential - all the images in the catalog at the end of the subscription will have been processable as your cameras up to that point will be supported. Main innovation that really matters is support for new cameras. They should allow you to continue to use the version you have at the end of the subscription. I guess you could buy the desktop version (if it still exists) when you end your subscription but unless it is heavily discounted that would be Adobe taking the ****!

That is why I don't subscribe and use Capture One Pro.

So all the investment in post-production processing on those images is also effectively lost if you don't renew; that too is stored in the catalog. That will be 100s or more likely 1,000s of hours of work - how much is that worth?

That is not correct Martin. The development settings are held in sidecar xmp files and can be opened by any program capable of reading the xmp files. This would include Adobe's own DNG converter and the DNG files could be opened in any program capable of reading DNG.

Perhaps you are confusing Lightroom with ACR. In ACR, you have a choice of storing the development metadata in the ACR database or as sidecar xmp files. The latter option is definitely preferable for future proofing.

Archived