Why do people use incorrect and/or non-realted keywords?

Hmm. Arizona is a bit far west for wigwams . . . although in addition to tepees the Apache lived in wickiups, that look a lot like wigwams. And . . . we're not that far from pueblo housing. Keywording, like life in general, is a series of many small decisions. Where possible, I like simplicity. 

Have a look in AoA how both wigwam and teepee/tepee/tipi are being used by clients. It's clear that some (most) tipi/teepee users know what to look for. The wigwam users don't. Or have not been educated yet to use the politically correct teepee/tipi.

wim

The only AoA search I see for "Wigwam" or "Tipi" is 'Wigwam Hotel Arizona,' which ironically, has Tipis ;)

Try setting the date as far back as possible, which at this moment is Jan 1st 2014.

tepee - 5

teepee - 49 (some teepee beans)

wigwam - 41 (including peas & AFB)

wim

If we want our images to sell, our keywording must anticipate misapprehensions and mis-spellings on the part of our customers.  Most of us here on the far side of the Pacific must be utterly ignorant of the wigwams/teepees distinction.  By all means, set people right with a note in the Description field.  Informal or colloquial geographic names - like those of the NYC neighbourhoods/neighborhoods (!) - are a particular problem with certain other very large stock libraries which allow the photographer very little input in keywording.  'Lower East Side' or 'Central Australia' don't appear on too many maps, but it is unhelpful to stick rigidly to official nomenclature. 

You can write the most important keywords in the essential and main - and the less correct ones, however, necessary for the image to be found mostly in the comprehensive - and explain how things are in the description.

This is true, but Jill's point is that if other people put the wrong words in Essential (over which she has no control), her images, though sensibly keyworded, will still suffer.

Alan

That is a nasty one, funny though. But will the publisher's image editor ever trust that photo agency again, and what about possible legal proceedings?

You see minor mistakes all the time. I notice them most often when a foreign photographer / tourist takes photos in Copenhagen. Strøget / Stroget f.inst. seems to be the most widespread pedestrian precinct in the world. (The street goes from the city hall square to Kongens Nytorv (King's New Square). But searching on Alamy for strøget / stroget you will find images of The Little Mermaid, Nyhavn, and much more.

The discussion reminds me of the old one about the guy who went to a psychiatrist and said, "Last night I dreamed I was a wigwam and the night before I dreamed I was a teepee.

And the doc says, "You're two tents."

The discussion reminds me of the old one about the guy who went to a psychiatrist and said, "Last night I dreamed I was a wigwam and the night before I dreamed I was a teepee.

And the doc says, "You're two tents."

:lol:

That is a nasty one, funny though. But will the publisher's image editor ever trust that photo agency again, and what about possible legal proceedings?

A search for Dorchester on Alamy turns up this one: C18DWC

Alan

Alan

A search for Doncaster yields this... archaeopteryx-DTF69X.jpg

C18DWC - has 'Dorchester' in the keywords, but for DTF69X, in the description it says it's a watercolour by John Dorchester.  How do you get round that?  I thought the description wasn't searchable?

C18DWC - has 'Dorchester' in the keywords, but for DTF69X, in the description it says it's a watercolour by John Dorchester.  How do you get round that?  I thought the description wasn't searchable?

In my example the search term was DONCASTER (which is in the keyword, but not so far as I know relevant to Doncaster),  not Dorchester

It's by John Doncaster, not Dorchester.

Alan

A search for Doncaster yields this... archaeopteryx-DTF69X.jpg

Must have had Dorchester on the brain, sorry!

Archived