First couple of sales....

OK, other than one sale that I had before I opted out of "novel use", I finally had my first two sales through Alamy and I hope that many more are to follow.  While I suppose it doesn't really matter, I'd love to know where my photos ended up and I really don't know how you folks find them.  In general, when you all find your sold items, how do you go about the search? I tried Google images and didn't find either one (other than a link back to my Alamy lightroom for one of them.

Under my sales, one of them says nothing but the gross payment (before Alamy took their cut) was $175.  It was a photo of a dark phase rattlesnake under a rock outcropping.  The second one says, "iQ sale, educational book, editorial print and digital use, one time use only, in context re-use permitted for life of title".  This was a photo of a purple Sea Star and sold for $114.24 (before commission).

OK, so how do I find them? 

As I said, it really matters not but I'm curious and would appreciate any hints or help.

Hi Bill; very difficult. If the image was sold RF you will not get any info from Alamy other than the size of the image actually sold - so maybe your first sale was an RF image?

Ways image sales can be found include the following

1. From the "Have you found any sales" thread in this discussion area

2. using Google image search to find them (very rarely works with textbook type sale, more likely to help with newspaper or website sales)

3. use of the Tine Eye program

4, Searching for Alamy images in Google Books

Others may have other suggestions, but in general you will be lucky to find where these two images were sold

Cheers

Kumar

Congratulations! I've had  a couple of sales & first actual payment into my account yesterday, as I was finally over the newer sales limit.

I also had a new sale supposedly in a newspaper & web usage 2 days ago, but can't find it, I was going to ask the same question.

I did find one by accident in the Guardian last summer, a week or so after it was used!

I also had a new sale supposedly in a newspaper & web usage 2 days ago, but can't find it, I was going to ask the same question.

I did find one by accident in the Guardian last summer, a week or so after it was used!

It could have been used anything up to 2-3 months or more before the sale was reported if my experience is anything to go by.

It could have been used anything up to 2-3 months or more before the sale was reported if my experience is anything to go by.

I did e-mail Alamy before I noticed this thread, I am new to this forum, but they did say, no they couldn't help, apart from the information in the sale. It isn't showing up as a zoomed image either, which is the 2nd time that has happened.

I presume it is new (ish) as the money hasn't cleared yet?

Image search finds a fair few of mine long before the report, and SShep usually finds them before that. But some never turn up.

However, keep looking now and again. I found one use on a text search, in a textbook, after two or three years

Clearing takes at least 45 days from report.

Image search finds a fair few of mine long before the report, and SShep usually finds them before that. But some never turn up.

However, keep looking now and again. I found one use on a text search, in a textbook, after two or three years

Clearing takes at least 45 days from report.

Ain't that the truth!!  Over the payment threshold on sales since last September and still not cleared.  Say what you like about the micros but as soon as your sales meet the threshold you get paid.

Image search programs only work if they have been published on the web, if then. Searching for Alamy and your name / pseudo is the best way - it can pick up listings in bokks' photo credit pages, though these days it also brings up a lot of results from the Alamy site, so you have to look through a lot.

I used to work in a bookshop, and if I was unpacking I spent half the time looking through the credits in the back of travel books - often with success. 

Searching for Alamy and your name / pseudo is the best way - it can pick up listings in books' photo credit pages,

I found my best book sale that way and picked up an obscure Italian one recently.

Another thing to note is that Image Search can extract images from PDFs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst searching for the one I mentioned above I found a new one that was "zoomed" in the Sunday Times! So thats a sale then!

Also, one that was sold in September was refunded, so it seems it could all take months

After 10 months and 600+ images uploaded, I just got my first sale. Haven’t been this jazzed about such a small amount of income since I was a kid mowing lawns, and back then I actually got cash the same day.

The thing I like most about this sale is the fact that the image comes from a set that was rejected by my former agency for reasons that were never given. The image doesn’t have technical flaws and the subject is an historically important site.

I really like Alamy’s policy of leaving content decisions up to the photographer.

Yes, congratulations Doug.  Since getting those sales, I've gotten 70 or 80 more images uploaded (I'm now up to 550 after I get a bit of keywording done) and I'm starting to see a slight uptick in views so hopefully my next few sales won't take as long as the first ones did.

Archived