HDR news?

Sultanpepa

Alamy and Alamy news both report: Sorry, no images were found for 'EBCFRM'

Can you post an image or a direct link, or has someone already axed the image?

I still use Canon, so I have to use HDR quite a lot to get some color in the sky or shadows without excessive noise. Nikon D800 or D810 users only have to use the sliders in ACR. My guess is that most of them do not declare an image digitally altered.

wim

I still use Canon, so I have to use HDR quite a lot to get some color in the sky or shadows without excessive noise. Nikon D800 or D810 users only have to use the sliders in ACR. My guess is that most of them do not declare an image digitally altered.

wim

Confused there wim. I use Canon and do all my PP in ACR. Love those sliders!

Jill

wim

Jill

There is a difference, I'm afraid. I have used the Nikon a couple of times and post is really much easier.

Almost no need for HDR. Or pulling blues selectively or ACR twice or trice one for highlights one for midtones and one for shadows with Noise Reduction Luminance set to 50. And then painting in most of it by hand.

I know there's a solution for all that without buying a D810: buy a Sony A7R. But that one is not quite there, so then I will have to carry a Canon and my RX100 and a A7r. Compared to te Nikon and the Canon, the Sony is cheap. It has wifi too. Now build it with a good and silent shutter and fast AF please.

-rant mode off.

At this point let me tell the story when as a student I climbed a tall street light with a 7.5m/25ft ladder. The ladder tilted and went down with me in top. Only very close to the ground I realised it was very stupid of me to hold on to the ladder.

;-)

wim

wim

Jill

There is a difference, I'm afraid. I have used the Nikon a couple of times and post is really much easier.

wim

This is true in my experience. I went from Nikon film cameras to Canon DSLRs because Nikon were very slow to produce an affordable DSLR. When Nikon released the D700, I bought one and could not believe the difference in image quality (low shadow noise in particular as well as ability to bring back detail in highlights, in other words incredible dynamic range), against the Canon 20D and 350D which I had been using. The D800 has the same astounding dynamic range (although only at low ISO). I shoot some very contrasty scenes and I've never used HDR - no need.

The point I'm making though is that these are posted to live news. (loosely as they are landscapes) Now even if they were shot to show magnificent lighting, that has been destroyed by using HDR processing. Also, if these are composite images (true HDR not pseudo) then the rules of news image submission have been ripped up completely. 

I'm agree with you wholeheartedly Sultanpea.

I saw these in the newsfeed on Fri and was very surprised to say the least! I think it calls into question Alamy's integrity as a reliable source for news photos if HDR is allowed to go through as news

HDR for news photos has been argued to death.....in fact HDR use on World Press Photo winner photos has been argued to death.  Whether or not you should use HDR on a news photo is a matter of opinion.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/may/14/gaza-funeral-photograph-world-press

The chairman of the World Press competition judges, Santiago Lyon, director of photography at the Associated Press, has said of all the winners: "We are confident that the images conform to the accepted practices of the profession."

http://petapixel.com/2012/01/18/is-hdr-acceptable-in-photojournalism/

Sean Elliot, president of the National Press Photographers Association, said, “HDR is not appropriate for documentary photojournalism.” The organization’s code of ethics say photographers should respect the integrity of the digital moment, “and in that light an HDR photo is no different from any other digital manipulation.”

“By using HDR,” he told me by email, “The Washington Post has combined different moments, and thereby created an image that does not exist. The aircraft visible in the final product was not there for all the other moments combined into the final, and that alone simply raises too many questions about the factual validity of the actual published image.”

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/159412/washington-post-raises-eyebrows-with-composite-photo-on-front-page/

“The technology offers broader dynamic range in tone and detail, and does not change the authenticity of the scene or situation,” Irby told me. It’s particularly useful when part of a scene is very dark or light, and choosing a single exposure means that only a portion of the image will be properly exposed.

That’s why Post photographer Bill O’Leary chose HDR this time, du Cille said.

It's Alamy's sandbox - they are the ones that make the decision about how we play in it.

Interesting Ed, I didn't know any of this. I did make the distinction between pseudo and single shot but even so, in my book at any rate, single shot HDR alters much more than shaded areas. I have never seen anything that looks like an HDR image using my own eyes therefore it is beyond what we would call reality or even a fair representation. I'm no prude. HDR has it's place and it can be really nice when done subtly but it's a step too far for news in my book. Not wishing to make a big thing of it but this has just turned upside-down what I believed to be news reporting standards. Leaving you with a thought, maybe those photographers who have lost jobs due to removing items from images could argue that all they have done is remove items that wouldn't have been there if they had taken the shot at a different angle or waited another second or two. All very subjective isn't it?

I have never seen anything that looks like an HDR image using my own eyes therefore it is beyond what we would call reality or even a fair representation. 

Using this criterion it could be argued that all black and white images are manipulated reality. 

HDR may or may not alter reality - it depends on the image. The world press photo that caused all the furore in the first place I would not regard as digitally altered. However, I do agree that the images here are pushing the boundaries of truth as defined by Alamy in relation to digital alteration. Perhaps even more to the point is are they really news by any sensible definition? I can see the headline "The sun came through the clouds today in rural Wales"

Alamy guidelines:

• No excessive lightening or darkening of the image or colouring of the image should be employed which might change the truth of the image e.g. darkening clouds to make them look thunderous when it was in fact a nice summer’s day.

The image is admittedly changed using HDR to 'make the autumnal colours apparent' in their description, but I'd be more interested to know how it's a news story, and there's nothing in the caption to suggest it's a weather story. Maybe it's just been mistakenly uploaded to the News feed.

I was a bit unsure who has the copyright when two names are used, who took the shot, Alistair or Jan?

wim

Jill

Almost no need for HDR. Or pulling blues selectively or ACR twice or trice one for highlights one for midtones and one for shadows with Noise Reduction Luminance set to 50. And then painting in most of it by hand.

I know there's a solution for all that without buying a D810: buy a Sony A7R. But that one is not quite there, so then I will have to carry a Canon and my RX100 and a A7r. Compared to te Nikon and the Canon, the Sony is cheap. It has wifi too. Now build it with a good and silent shutter and fast AF please.

-rant mode off.

At this point let me tell the story when as a student I climbed a tall street light with a 7.5m/25ft ladder. The ladder tilted and went down with me in top. Only very close to the ground I realised it was very stupid of me to hold on to the ladder.

;-)

wim

I agree about Canon. Just sold off my Canon 6D and I'm using the Sony A7 and A6000.Big difference in those skies for one. I plan on getting the A7000 if that becomes a reality.I like the idea of touchscreen and weather sealing.

L

Archived