HDR news?

Sultanpepa

Have Stockimo images been accepted in news?

wim

I tried sending two news related photos to Stockimo that had either minimal or no post-processing. Both were rejected.

I'm surprised.

It'll maybe depend on the situation. But would they really refuse images of for example a plane landing on a Hudson because it was taken on a Nokia and not a Nikon?

I have seen situations where colleagues from (B)etty have used gopro's to get a shot where appropriate. I'd have thought it is about the image not the equipment. 

It's not just the image and the style, but mainly the ease of submitting through the app. I understood there was something in the works specific to news by phone.

Why not just have a tick box in the app: this is news.

Blaulicht.gif

And something like this on the other end?

In Holland we call this bells and whistles

;-)

wim

Have Stockimo images been accepted in news?

wim

I tried sending two news related photos to Stockimo that had either minimal or no post-processing. Both were rejected.

I'm surprised.

It'll maybe depend on the situation. But would they really refuse images of for example a plane landing on a Hudson because it was taken on a Nokia and not a Nikon?

I have seen situations where colleagues from (B)etty have used gopro's to get a shot where appropriate. I'd have thought it is about the image not the equipment. 

It's not just the image and the style, but mainly the ease of submitting through the app. I understood there was something in the works specific to news by phone.

Why not just have a tick box in the app: this is news.

Blaulicht.gif

And something like this on the other end?

In Holland we call this bells and whistles

;-)

wim

That's strange Wim, here we call it a light. ;)  :ph34r:

Hark, what was that crash?

I do believe it was that the sound of Alamy hitting rock bottom. ;)

They seem to be putting a lot of stock (pun intended) into Stockimo, but are they risking alienating traditional photographers who don't want to get on board the gravy train, or just think that the Emperor has very little clothing on?

They seem to be putting a lot of stock (pun intended) into Stockimo, but are they risking alienating traditional photographers who don't want to get on board the gravy train, or just think that the Emperor has very little clothing on?

Should Alamy care? They're in this business to make money and lots of it. Going from 60-40 to 50-50 split was the pointer to where their priorities lay. Whether they get their profits from a Nikon or an i phone won't really matter as long as the cash keeps rolling in. High end cameras will be around for a while yet but I see a day in the future where phone pics will be all that's needed for stock. Now if Alamy would just like to get cracking on getting Android phones accepted we can all get on with it.

That was quick! News for Stockimo now, and I see no restriction on the use of any filter.

wim

I downloaded the Stockimo upgrade earlier today and now I'm totally confused. Is this supposed to be news access for iPhone photos or a way to upload traditional news photos via an iPhone app?

I wonder if such images will only appear in the app and won't be counted in My Alamy or accessible via Manage Images.

fD

I uploaded an image today to test the new functionality....I don't see a way to distinguish between news or not...and I don't see the way to set up IFTTT.  I don't see the settings anywhere (I'll keep looking).

With relation to using iPhones for reporting news - the news media has been doing this for at least the last 5 years.  The strategy is the newspapers lay off their photographers and send out their journalists with an iPhone to illustrate the story.  This is nothing new at all (and I have a couple of friends that have been laid off in Denver from The Denver Post with this strategy).

Here's a link about the Chicago Sun Times doing this about a year and a half ago

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/214954/sun-times-will-train-reporters-on-iphone-photography-basics/

Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times (no pun intended).

Spotted one of the first Stockimo News pictures on the Live News pages.

I make no other comment.

I don't use Stockimo very much, but did opt in to Live News in the app. I've just uploaded a non news image, and there was no option to categorise it as news. So maybe once someone has opted into Live News, all of their uploads go to the Live News feed?

Spotted one of the first Stockimo News pictures on the Live News pages.

I make no other comment.

Ok I will. News? Entertainment? Sport?

I saw one last week, Live news 'weather' picture captioned  'credit/stockimo/live news' alongside one from same person with regular 'credit/Alamy Live News' tag. Almost identical pictures but different file dimensions.

I'm also surprised there isn't a separate section for weather pictures, which can seem to make up the majority of news uploads sometimes.

Why is "digital manipulation" such a sensitive topic ? It's all about intent and result surely? Did no news photographer ever dodge, burn or use high contrast developer in the darkroom in the film days? Much of the digital manipulation we do now is the direct equivalent of old darkroom techniques. I guess HDR wasn't really practicable in the past but if the exposures are all within a small time (that might be an exposure time anyway) what's the problem? - it just getting all the actual light levels recorded.

But obviously cutting out part of one print to substitute in another was bad form even using film / paper. And darkening clouds to look thunderous would have been off limits using film as well as digital.

Hobby horse expounded ;-(

John Crellin (who has dodged and burned in his time)

Archived