My first QC failure.

I informed them that almost all of the top 100 shots of my city's river precinct were hopelessly out of date because of recent major redevelopments. But they are still there and all the new ones are buried.

Well, not really a problem . . . they would only be "buried" until the viewer hits the "recent" button, then they'll be front and centre.

dd

If nothing else it kills my enthusiasm to upload to Alamy. I have stopped uploading before after I couldn't get any response when I requested one of my pseudos be assessed for creative status.

Don't worry - Alamy won't be losing out. They'll still be getting plenty of submissions from those of us who accept the rules and just get on with it.

Alan

If nothing else it kills my enthusiasm to upload to Alamy. I have stopped uploading before after I couldn't get any response when I requested one of my pseudos be assessed for creative status.

Don't worry - Alamy won't be losing out. They'll still be getting plenty of submissions from those of us who accept the rules and just get on with it.

Alan

Also, as far as I know, there is no need to request creative status. It's on an individual image basis is it not? :unsure:

Alan

Guys you are not really adding any new information to the conversation. I do accept the rules and have been living by them for two years and getting on with it.

But, as I have already explained this time the rules have been applied differently to me and a friend of mine and I am rightfully wondering why. We both have good ratings and we were treated very differently.

I was hoping there would be some collective wisdom here. But you seem to be more eager to have a go at me than show your experience and knowledge by being helpful. That's disappointing.

The other point is I have been told by members services you can request a review of a pseudonym. So I went to the trouble of making a new one and put the best stuff I had in it and asked for a review. If they did it they didn't tell me either way. I have no way of knowing.

Again I bring these things up hoping for some positive ideas.

The rules are not applied differently.

I've  offered some 'wisdom' from my own experience in this thread.If your pass rate drops below a certain figure you start having to wait. Presumably you had several recent fails.

Your friend was in a different position with a single fail.

Positive ideas? Don't submit while waiting for QC and look at your images very, very carefully. That's it.

Well, this is interesting.

I logged-in this morning to have a glance at my submission status. I had 2 images from the failed submission waiting for managing!

So, to confirm, I uploaded a small batch of 3 images. After 2 days, I received notification that the submission had partially failed. Checking the report, one image was marked as failed, the other two images marked as passed. I assumed that according to the blog, my entire day's submission would be rejected. However that is not the case. One image was rejected, the other two images passed through, after a delay of 1 day.

I have been in communication with Alamy who confirmed that the available images are from my rejected submission. My new submission is still in the QC queue & I have asked Alamy whether (or not) I am on the naughty step.

I'm guessing OE's experience is down pure and simply to the fact it was only a three image submission. It will be interesting to find out if he/she's been put on hold. Never had a fail so I'm only talking on hearsay, but I'm sure I've heard someone say that this had happened to them. Maybe there are no hard and fast rules and maybe some discrepancy is down to human error? Also it could be that one file was found to be corrupt and therefore not deemed to be worthy of sanction.

Edit.. beat me to it John :)

I was hoping there would be some collective wisdom here. But you seem to be more eager to have a go at me than show your experience and knowledge by being helpful. That's disappointing.

Hmmm . . . I was sure I, and one or two others, had addressed, specifically, a few of the points you seemed to be making . . . now, you either missed those posts (two from me for a start), or perhaps you didn't hear what you wanted so ignored them. Fair enough, your call, but to somehow go from that to us all being "eager to have a go at (you)" indicates a certain attitude that quite frankly ain't going to get you far regards receiving advice in the future.

dd

Well, this is interesting.

I logged-in this morning to have a glance at my submission status. I had 2 images from the failed submission waiting for managing!

So, to confirm, I uploaded a small batch of 3 images. After 2 days, I received notification that the submission had partially failed. Checking the report, one image was marked as failed, the other two images marked as passed. I assumed that according to the blog, my entire day's submission would be rejected. However that is not the case. One image was rejected, the other two images passed through, after a delay of 1 day.

I have been in communication with Alamy who confirmed that the available images are from my rejected submission. My new submission is still in the QC queue & I have asked Alamy whether (or not) I am on the naughty step.

It's no mystery, it's always been the case that a submission marked as a "Partial fail" does not count as a "fail" in the usual sense. That is, it doesn't stop a submission, only the image subsequently identified as "failed". It's usually just a corrupt file, and was quite common when submissions were made via physical disc.

John (Stokie) makes this very point (the difference with Partial Fails) above. Simply put, there is no penalty for a Partial Fail, and never has been.

dd

Another nice email reply from Customer support.

A reminder.... The submission was marked as a partial fail with the failed image reason given as "Soft or lacking in definition, camera shake" (grrrr). The rest of the submission was put through because they like Elephants, especially Orange ones. It may be counted as an early Christmas present. This probably means that I won't now be getting any mince pies.

I'm still not entirely sure whether I'm on the naughty step.

Another nice email reply from Customer support.

A reminder.... The submission was marked as a partial fail with the failed image reason given as "Soft or lacking in definition, camera shake" (grrrr). The rest of the submission was put through because they like Elephants, especially Orange ones. It may be counted as an early Christmas present. This probably means that I won't now be getting any mince pies.

I'm still not entirely sure whether I'm on the naughty step.

Its unusual to give a reason for a partial fail, I've never had a reason given in 7 or 8 partial fails. Usually the other images go through OK and you have to resubmit the fails.

There normally isn't any penalty for a partial fail as its an 'Image processing error', so you shouldn't be on the naughty step.

John

This game of waiting 28 days and seemingly random rating has driven many images to other locations where they were promptly accepted. After seeing what Alamy puts on their home page I wonder how they really make decisions and why play the punishment game.  Not so interested in a stock agency with so little regard for the photographer.  They have become as bad as micro stock but in a different way.

Just to clarify. "image processing error" in John's post means a processing error in Alamy server or computer system. Not the subscribers processing error.

That is why it is not a "naughty step" fail.

Allan

28 successful submissions, and then I joined the QC fail club, images uploaded on the 27th October still not processed - at least the 28 day break is nearly up and I can find out which ones, although having gone back through the submission I've a good idea which couple have caused the problem! I tend to wait until a batch has cleared before uploading again no matter how small an upload it is.

Martin

www.windmillskies.com 

A question for the Orange Elephant.

Was the wording "Failed QC" in red or orange?

Allan

It states "Partially failed" with the whole line in orange.

. . . so the unequivocal answer, again, is that there is no penalty for a Partial Failure, and this is a Partial Failure :)

The mystery is in Alamy describing the error as something not usually reserved for Partial Failure . . . but my advice is stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and carry on with your next submission :)

dd

I had a failure last month for SoLD.  I got the notification in the morning and I resubmitted minus the soft photo and it passed QC by afternoon.  That has happened on most of the 8 failures I have had in the last year.  I had a string of failures last year when I bought a new lens that seems to include chromatic aberration in just about every photo.  I finally just include CA correction in all my Lightroom presets which has fixed the problem.  I flag my photos for export and upload to Alamy in Lightroom and sometimes I flag a bad photo instead of deleting and it ends up getting uploaded.  I may never achieve zero fails.  So far no sin bin yet, fingers crossed.

As dusty dingo says. Partial failure is not an offence. It means that Alamy servers could not process the image.

Caution:- One reason for this, and I have come a cropper on this one a couple of times, is your processing software not saving the image as "Baseline (Standard)" when saving as jpeg file. If it saves as "Progressive" or possibly "Baseline Optimised" Alamy cannot handle it.

The above happened to me when I updated my image processing software and was not aware of the change.

Allan

Alan,

Why would Alamy specify SoLD and camera shake as reasons for failure, if it couldn't process the image ?

DD

Something very strange happened there. "Unusual" doesn't begin to cover it, unheard of is closer to the point. However I agree about the gift horse.  

Orange Elephant,

The "naughty step" is the time it takes to inform you of a QC failure. It has no knock on effect for future submissions.

Also there's no need to resubmit passed files from a partial failure.

Archived