Canon 7D MK II Sample Images Released

Canon released the sample images for the 7D MK II.  I must be delusional or something because to my eye, they are all soft.  The image at 6400 iso is completely unusable from our perspective.  I wouldn't even dream of submitting that image to Alamy (and I have a lot of 6400 iso images here - including one shot at 25,600iso).  Even taking a look at the studio portrait shot at 100 iso, I could see the image was in focus but the detail was simply lacking.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos7dmk2/

Are my expectations too high or is Canon going in reverse?

I'll tell you when I have shot my own pix as I am first on the list for a 2-day loan of a 7D2 from my pro dealer in November.

That said. My experiuence is that I have never had a photo failed because of inadequate slr lens or body. I have had them failed for inadequate technique ...

Good luck Martin.

I've had images with excess softness and chromatic aberration due to a poor sensor that I did not submit (from a 7D) because they were ridiculously awful.  Also had the 7D lock up on me to where I had to remove the battery and reinstall it.  That was my first experience with it - and it was during a rodeo I was shooting.  I quickly sold it and purchased a 5D MK II and was happy.  Then I went to 5D MK III bodies and I was a bit unimpressed with the upgrade from the 5D MK II but I've made due since.

Unfortunately, when you are heavily invested in a system, it's tough to change things...but when my two 5D MK III bodies die, I may end up giving up Canon altogether if this is what they are producing.

Not sure what you are looking at but the forest and a couple of portraits look fine for stock - the eyes on the first portrait plus the zits (the bits in focus) are certainly sharp enough - it's better than the 7D which I thought was pretty rubbish.

I think the need (in stock) for better DSLR  cameras stopped a long time ago.

I am toying with downsizing from1Ds3 to the 7D2 for my sport and news coverage. I love my X-T1 but I I am getting increasingly frustrated with the slow AF - I will probably rationalise it down to body, 10-24 and 18-135 as my go anywhere, travel kit. But I need to reduce the weight signiificantly if I stay with a dslr for news especially (I carry a laptop as well); hence I am hoping the 7D2 will be sort of a small 1Dx

Geoff, Image 2 of the forest would most definitely fail due to soft and lacking definition.  I wouldn't submit that image at all to Alamy.  I would not submit Image 3 - Skyline of Vancouver to Alamy at all (OK, maybe after increasing contrast and downsizing).  That image is begging the soft and lacking definition rejection IMO.  The studio portrait has detail lacking in the eyes....at least compared to what I've shot.  Even the image of the wild bird is soft - there is no sharpness at all in the eyes and it's a candidate for increasing contrast and downsizing.

Personally, I would stay far away from those images for stock.

Geoff, Image 2 of the forest would most definitely fail due to soft and lacking definition.  I wouldn't submit that image at all to Alamy.  I would not submit Image 3 - Skyline of Vancouver to Alamy at all (OK, maybe after increasing contrast and downsizing).  That image is begging the soft and lacking definition rejection IMO.  The studio portrait has detail lacking in the eyes....at least compared to what I've shot.  Even the image of the wild bird is soft - there is no sharpness at all in the eyes and it's a candidate for increasing contrast and downsizing.

Personally, I would stay far away from those images for stock.

I have to disagree. The Vancouver skyline - I would crop the left hand side which is showing classic Canon wide zooms softness but the rest of it I would be happy with - a little capture sharpening and it would sail past QC IME.

Having looked at them. the ones taken with longer lenses and primes seem better but I am very suspicious that the technique is not all it could be. I am not sure the focus is always where it should. The only samples that matter to me are the ones I will take; then I am evaluating the whole system including myself!

The ISO 6400 image is completely unusable, soft and noisy beyond recovery.

I have the 5DII and the 7D (older version). Night photography would definitely be done with the 5DII, though I still think it can become noisy, but not as noisy as the 7D.

Ed-

It's worth noting that usually sample images such as these are SOOC jpegs. Not sure if that is the case here or not but if so the overall detail looks fine to me, and as Geoff says, a tiny bit of capture sharpening from RAW and they would be fine.

I do agree the high ISO looks terrible compared to 6d or either of the 5dii/iii (or Fuji!). But then, 7d is not really meant for high ISO performance, more for speed and reach.

-Jason

The ISO 6400 image is completely unusable, soft and noisy beyond recovery.

I have the 5DII and the 7D (older version). Night photography would definitely be done with the 5DII, though I still think it can become noisy, but not as noisy as the 7D.

Yes, the 5D Mk II is great for night photography. What I don't understand about this image, they have used a shutter speed of 1 second - so they obviously have it on a tripod already. Why not go for a longer exposure at a lower ISO setting. To show off a high ISO setting in this context is not a very clever thing to do. 

I'm not impressed with the image quality.  I do some night photography with my 5DM2 and the long exposures with a tripod are crisp and nearly noiseless.  I wouldn't post those sample images if I had taken them-- most are SoLD and noisy.

Assuming that in practice the 7D2 is sharp with the right lens and technique I see the biggest stumbling block is the lack of professional quality lenses for the APC-C format. I am looking to the 7D2 to provide a lighter and less bulky alternative to my FF kit without sacrificing af speed capability - the size benefit is immediately negated if you are stuck with FF lenses. After all the 7D is not a small camera.

[i do agree the high ISO looks terrible compared to 6d or either of the 5dii/iii (or Fuji!). But then, 7d is not really meant for high ISO performance, more for speed and reach.]
-Jason

Totally agree, this maybe targeted at the Birders/wildlife photographers that need fast Af performance and greater reach, I'm sure it'll be a favourite amongst that community just like the nikon D2x was and still is.

As far as those jpegs are concerned thats not the cameras fault but the person using it.

Parm

If the images are subpar it could be either the photography or the lenses, and not the camera. 

For instance the Vancouver softness could be distortion caused by hot air currents rising over the water between the camera and the skyline. It could also be caused by the poor quality of the Canon wide angle zoom.

These images are Canons concept of what is "within tolerances". That may differ from your standards.

The other industry wide trend is to launch different cameras, each designed for a particular use. The 7D11 with the Canon wide angles may be designed for the photojournalist who has to shoot both stills and video on the fly, and is concerned about weight.

If your thing is maximum studio like quality stills, both inside and out, you may be happier with a high rez Nikon, and Zeiss wide angle prime lenses.

In the days of film I used 35mm, medium format, and 4X5 depending on the demands of the work. One size did not fit all, and I think digital is going the same way. A different camera for every situation.

The best assessment of the 7D11 will come from independent testing sites, and then your own tests if you buy one.

I agree Bill.

I might be backtracking on my intention to go APS-C dslr. I have been doing some serious desk based analysis and looked at the weight of the 7d2 with grip and it is only a little lighter than the full-frame 1Dx (but a lot cheaper). With the only professional lenses in FF and for thes ake of a few ounces of body I may as well stay with my 1Ds3  (took it out and it is such a pleasant camera to use) until I can justify a 1Dx (or its successor) for its AF and high ISO performance. I will stay with my Fuji where the pace is slower and weight really does matter; my travel stuff.

Martin, Like you I'm looking for a more compact camera for everyday carry, the 5DII is just too big.  So far I've seen no APC-S DSLR that would entice me to go back.  I tried the NEX-6 which is compact but except under the best of lighting conditions the image quality it produces just isn't good enough.  The D800 Betty shoots with is a great camera but it's almost as big as my 5DII.  Despite my experience with the NEX6 I'm giving serious consideration to the Sony A7R.  I could get one good compact lens for everyday carry and with an adaptor it will fully integrate with and control Minolta lenses.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sony A7R?  Will it replace my 5DII?

Lynn, I have the Fuji X-T1 and it fulfils the need I bought it for which was as a light go anywhere outfit for travel; for that I love it. I had hoped it would work for some of the soft news shooting I do; which it does - almost. I use it pretty much full time, certainly every day. I thought about Sony but the available lens (and roadmap) did not meet my needs, I also felt Sony's strategy was confused and certainly more consumer electronics than pro photography; but that is just my interpration many are happyy with the Nex or whatever they are now called.

However when I go back to my big pro slr (Canon 1Ds3) to cover sport or just for the hell of it I realise what I am missing. In the hand its weight and bulk is not an issue but the camera bag to cover the same range as the Fuji - OUCH! But for covering news I may go back to it and get a more suitable backpack to carry it. When the camera is in the hand the weight of the bag is not too bad and the AF is just so much better in almost every respect.

As Bill said it is about using the right tool for the job in hand.

Although I'd definitely like a lighter camera in hand, when I say compact I am also thinking of a camera that will attract less attention, both from thieves and subjects alike.  Although I can always keep the 5DII, I'd be thrilled if the Sony would cover both my casual carry and more serious photography needs.

I've been camera flip flopping for awhile now.What I've concluded is my old Nikon D700 had amazing IQ. though not enough MP and it was  heavy.

I've had the Fuji X-T1 and focus at events for me was a problem. I sold it all off.

I've been using the Canon 6D and it's ok. I have always had an issue with Canon washing out skies and highlights that I never really had with Nikon or Fuji.

Years ago had the Canon 7D.It was horrible in low light.My Canon 40D was much better.

I'm not impressed by any of the sample images I've seen from the 7D II

L

Archived