Canon 7D MK II Sample Images Released

Right now I have enough money to either do the camera or the new MacBook Pro but not both.  My current computer is doing ok but it's really old so I'm getting worried.  Since I can't make up my mind as to which camera I might make due with my current camera and go for the computer this year.

Martin, Like you I'm looking for a more compact camera for everyday carry, the 5DII is just too big.  So far I've seen no APC-S DSLR that would entice me to go back.  I tried the NEX-6 which is compact but except under the best of lighting conditions the image quality it produces just isn't good enough.  The D800 Betty shoots with is a great camera but it's almost as big as my 5DII.  Despite my experience with the NEX6 I'm giving serious consideration to the Sony A7R.  I could get one good compact lens for everyday carry and with an adaptor it will fully integrate with and control Minolta lenses.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sony A7R?  Will it replace my 5DII?

A bit surprised at your assessment of the Next 6 Lynn. In my experience it is a match for the 5DII when fitted with a decent lens. The kit glass is a problem, but the sensor is excellent.

I must defend the Canon 7D mk1,  i am on my second 7D,  sold my 1st to help finance other equipment, my current 7D is 1 year old now and is tack sharp with all my L lenses from 16mm to 600mm,  with a kit walk around lens it can be a little iffy although still good enough for QC  in most cases.

The 7D mk II looks on paper to be better,  however how much better dose one want or need?

I for one am tied of running out and throwing hard earned money at new gear that depreciates faster than ice melts,  the mk II is interesting but not enough to sway me into spending, later maybe when proven and good used ones are available.

Like my 1Ds III bodies,  i have no lust in replacing them with the 1Dx, i simply  cannot justify the cost for what ever little differences there may be.

Paul.

Archived