Lightoom Pluin shows where your focus point was!

Gee wiz, I just had something odd happen in this post. Earlier I posted a short comment here, just "hmm" meaning that's an interesting app. Then I looked in a few minutes ago, read two comments and went to the forum menu and noticed that wim has posted something, so I went back in to read his post . . . and my totally unimportant "hmm," my post is gone. ???

Very strange. Linda, did you see my comment earlier? 

Edo

Gee wiz, I just had something odd happen in this post. Earlier I posted a short comment here, just "hmm" meaning that's an interesting app. Then I looked in a few minutes ago, read two comments and went to the forum menu and noticed that wim has posted something, so I went back in to read his post . . . and my totally unimportant "hmm," my post is gone. ???

Very strange. Linda, did you see my comment earlier? 

Edo

All I saw was hmmm earlier!   :-)

Interesting, but it sounds as if it just tells you which focal points your camera selected, not whether or not the image is actually in focus. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

What I want is a plugin that can tell me in advance whether or not an image will pass QC. B)

Interesting, but it sounds as if it just tells you which focal points your camera selected, not whether or not the image is actually in focus. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

What I want is a plugin that can tell me in advance whether or not an image will pass QC. B)

Yep;we need the Alamy 'Crystal Ball' APP! :D

L

Looks very useful.

Now I just want a plugin to show what's actually in focus :)

Here you go:

http://blog.kareldonk.com/focus-peaking-action-and-tutorial-for-photoshop/

wim

There seem to be some flaws with this simple "high pass" method, as stated by the author.

• Some issues with this method:
  • The high pass filter sometimes will also include areas of an image that are out of focus, but still contain high contrast, such as highlights in bokeh. These can easily be edited out of the mask in the end, but unfortunately right now I don’t know of any way to make this more accurate and would need more time to figure it out and experiment.
  • Since the high pass filter detects contrast in images, parts of an image that are in focus but don’t contain a lot of detail or contrast won’t be detected as areas that are in focus.
I wonder what the typical in camera "focus peaking" algorithm is? Those Canon dual pixel sensors could do a really good job, but there must be relatively straightforward algorithms used with other simpler sensors. Maybe Adobe could implement something?

Super especially helpful for those that focus with the centre point and re-compose

;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)  

(as posted on the other thread)

Super especially helpful for those that focus with the centre point and re-compose

;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)  

(as posted on the other thread)

That's what I thought. Alas, from the FAQs:

"If you have used the "focus and recompose" technique in any given image, the plugin will show correctly which focus points were activated, but their content (the part of the image they show) will not be identical with the part that was seen by the photographer when focusing, since the camera was moved after focusing. Technically, this is the only possibility, because the camera does not store any information about the recomposition movement of the camera."

Canon DPP has had a focus point thing for ages and I doubt anyone has ever used it.

Same for Nikon ViewNX and ViewNX2. Useless gimmick.

dd

Interesting.  Downloaded to have a play, but bear in mind the following from the FAQs, which may or may not be relevant in each individual case:

"If you have used the 'focus and recompose' technique in any given image, the plugin will show correctly which focus points were activated, but their content (the part of the image they show) will not be identical with the part that was seen by the photographer when focusing, since the camera was moved after focusing. Technically, this is the only possibility, because the camera does not store any information about the recomposition movement of the camera."

Archived