Watch out for those air blowers - could be a hand grenade....

When you consider that most (or at least many) people don't have any idea what a real hand grenade looks like, that seems like a good security call.  And there are so many different shapes and types of grenades now. However, I've yet to see one that can blow up half a building with an orange gasoline fire, as they do in Hollywood films. 

“..... our staff who are on hand to help and assist".

Not when they take away a £15 blower brush, an item not on the prohibited list, they're not, unless they undertake to post it home for you. How likely is that for people who make up their own rules?

Lat time I asked why I had to remove my shoes when others didn't I was told 'because you're in the shoes-off queue'. There's a logical, risk-assessed security policy for you.

And what about all those liquids that are so dangerous they throw them in a cardboard box?

On my last trip to California I forgot to take the tube of expensive private label sunscreen out of my camera bag.

I got pulled over,told NOT TO TOUCH MY BAG but point to where that tube was.

It was 6 ounces and I was in a hurry and said,ok,just take it but I can't miss my flight.And btw,that's the only sunscreen in the universe I am not allergic to.

Woman says,so it's medicinal? I said well,not prescribed but I can't use off the shelf.If you want me to dump an ounce I can do that.

She let me thru with it.

I'm old enough to remember the days when travel was so simple,fun and easy and blowers were not a national security risk.

We're just not in the same world anymore... :-(

L

You're all making me feel guilty since I don't use a blower ............ :huh:  However, I did get told off by security for taking pics in Terminal 5 at Heathrow back in 2011.... and they didn't even ask the obvious question "Excuse me Madam, are you a terrorist?! :unsure:

Any logical thinking person who can see the blower in action could assume that it won't be a threat, anymore than someone yielding the on board magazine and threatening to papercut everyone on the plane. It's just a step too far once again and if things keep going the way they are, we'll all be flying naked. 

I think a lot of this security business is to act as a deterrent & keep alert levels up more than anything else. And then you also get some of the bored officials who like exerting their authority over you.

I went in to a high security prison once in East Anglia (not for being naughty, delivering something), they took my phone off of me (in case it took photos) and also asked if I had a digital camera with me. I said no.They didin't ask if I had a film camera with me though... (which I did ! ).

Any logical thinking person who can see the blower in action could assume that it won't be a threat, anymore than someone yielding the on board magazine and threatening to papercut everyone on the plane. It's just a step too far once again and if things keep going the way they are, we'll all be flying naked. 

I'll be there to take the photos. :D

Allan

I'll be there to take the photos. :D

I think the sight of the average British family going on holiday in the nude would be enough to put me off my holiday altogether.

Alan

Archived