Shots taken in the fog

This dilemma is always going to be a problem within any picture library that does not edit images on photographic or saleability merit, only on strict technical  guidelines. While we all agree that technical excellence is necessary, there are times when it has to be measured alongside the creative intent and outcome of a particular image. These judgments are then, of necessity, subjective. Alamy has decided to remove subjectivity from its image quality control as far as possible, so these issues will remain for photographers to ponder over when submitting certain images.

Dyn Llun says it well, and I would add that QC rejections are not Alamy's fault.

Both photo clients and Stock libraries will usually evolve a technical "House Style", and as suppliers we have to work to that "House Style".

With photo clients on assignment you can shoot to their "House Style" and then, if you have some extra time and money, you can shoot additional images to a different style that you think may be better for the subject matter. You then have the opportunity later to sell the client on moving outside their "House Style".

At Alamy a QC fail is a QC fail. I have had a couple of QC fails based on softness recently, and I accept that Alamy has been correct in enforcing their needs for sharpness.

Jill looking at your 100% examples I would say that they are all QC fails based on softness and noise. Fog usually requires a low ISO, tripod, and focus on a foreground object. The vast non detail areas of a fog image make any noise painfully obvious. If you try to remove the noise, you will make the detailed areas of the image even softer.

These shots are not wasted if you treat the entire batch as a learning experience.

Bill, I think the problem is that some of us now feel somewhat "in the fog" about what Alamy's "House Style" is exactly, or at least what it is becoming. Each time I think I've got things figured out, something comes along that shakes my confidence. Thank goodness for threads like this one. They can be very helpful in filling in the gaps. There's no teacher like experience, as the saying goes. 

Recently submitted and passed...

E5M05P.jpg

E5M05K.jpg

Searching for the shots to post made me realise I'd left fog/foggy out of the keywords, only using mist/misty! Oops!

So thanks for helping me notice this!

Jill, with regards your crops the first and last do look a bit soft/noisy.

Trying to keep it looking real whilst maintaining black point for Alamy - lifting mid tones seemed to do the job. Only a tiny bit of the photo needs to be close to true black.

When confronted with fog, and to get the histogram to look the way Alamy wants, try using levels to give it the unrealistic look you've complained about.  Then use a brush and take all of the levels effects away, then reverse the brush color and brush in a tiny bit of the levels effect to get the histogram to where it needs to be.  Your foggy image still looks foggy, but you've darkened a bit of it to suit.

There's more ways than one to skin a cat, as the old saying goes.

Since already uploaded, they will do what they do. Have already started an "After released from Sin Bin" file.

But you never know. 

Good thing I have so many shows coming up for dogs and horses that I probably won't be doing a lot of photography anyway. Or am I just convincing myself.  :rolleyes:

Jill

I have a few early morning shots I took last weekend of the cows grazing in the field before I headed out to a dog show.

They all of course have this great ethereal look to them and you can tell they were taken in fog. At 100% they have this OOF look because of the mist of the fog, and have a slight grain look due to the fog. I keep tossing back and forth whether to submit them for fear of a failure.

Am I being paranoid?

Jill

Well, I'm just about to submit some with a sea mist. I had exactly the same thoughts but I rather like them [mistake...] so will take the chance....

It's not paranoia it's vacillation but I have now decided. Watch this space!.

John

I have had some accepted, e.g. CYCE4P, DWWB4P etc. Neither are particularly good or interesting but got through QC without problem. IMO if the pic is interesting and has artistic merit and you think that it may sell then give it a try. A one off rejection shouldn't put you in the sin bin if you have a good record.

dov

Well my fog shots just passed QC

Drinks are on you, then?

Alan

A glass of Merlot for all

Jill

Could you make mine orange juice please?

Wine gives me migraines.

Allan

Well my fog shots just passed QC

Drinks are on you, then?

Alan

A glass of Merlot for all

Jill

Could you make mine orange juice please?

Wine gives me migraines.

Allan

I'll check the fridge. Might have some left over from those Christmas Mimosas. Yum!

Jill

Well my fog shots just passed QC, so off I go to manage images. I guess its safe now to upload the ones I put aside for post sin bin upload.

Jill

Glad to hear that, Jill. I guess it pays to take a risk now and then. This makes me think that I should revisit my "Paranoia" file where I keep images that I've been too wimpy to upload. Congratulations on beating the naysayers (including me). 

I had no paranoia until I had a fail of an image. And it was an obvious fail. An accidental upload of a pic that was full of CA and distinctly OOF. For some reason though, I saved it as a jpg, so when I uploaded, I simply uploaded all the jpgs from the file. There was no punishment from that fail, but all of a sudden I was second guessing almost every photo, and really for no reason as I hadn't had a fail on anything I thought was passable.

I'm sure many many many of the images I trashed over the past couple of months would have passed QC. I let the paranoia dictate. And should I have a fail from one of these images, so be it. How many will have passed and be up for sale before that fail comes? I'm sure I could have another 2-300 images up if my fear didn't take over. Didn't have it before that 1st fail.

Jill

I had no paranoia until I had a fail of an image. And it was an obvious fail. An accidental upload of a pic that was full of CA and distinctly OOF. For some reason though, I saved it as a jpg, so when I uploaded, I simply uploaded all the jpgs from the file. There was no punishment from that fail, but all of a sudden I was second guessing almost every photo, and really for no reason as I hadn't had a fail on anything I thought was passable.

I'm sure many many many of the images I trashed over the past couple of months would have passed QC. I let the paranoia dictate. And should I have a fail from one of these images, so be it. How many will have passed and be up for sale before that fail comes? I'm sure I could have another 2-300 images up if my fear didn't take over. Didn't have it before that 1st fail.

Jill

I'm extra paranoid these days because I am trying to rebuild my good QC record by uploading only small batches of images that I think (?) are fail-proof. Who knows how long this will take. Once I feel that I might have graduated from the sin bin club, I'll probably revisit images that I've put on the back burner. It's all a bit silly, I know, but there you go

Listen to yourselves! You're all afraid to take a picture in the fog! What if there are buyers out there looking for pictures in the fog? Maybe we should all just shoot cans of beans in bright sunshine, using a tripod and a macro, of course, like we advise newbies to do on their first test? 

Listen to yourselves! You're all afraid to take a picture in the fog! What if there are buyers out there looking for pictures in the fog? Maybe we should all just shoot cans of beans in bright sunshine, using a tripod and a macro, of course, like we advise newbies to do on their first test? 

Yes, completely loco, isn't it? What type of beans do you recommend? B)

I don't think they are afraid to take the pictures in the fog, merely afraid to load them up to Alamy for fear of draconian punishment :)

I uploaded mine because the shots were good, and a fog shot is basically like a motion blur shot. Can't be sharp or you lose the point of the photo. Sharp fog images - kind of an oxymoron don't you think?

Jill

I have been a contributor on Alamy from some years now and well aware of the rules. In the past on the rare occasion when I have had a submission rejected I always take it in good spirits and try to understand the reason and always try to improve and send in quality images that will meet the required QC standards. However I am very dismayed by a most recent rejection of one of my images of Monsoon Clouds forming above the Knuckles range in Sri Lanka with the reason cited as being soft and lacking definition.

The image can be see here  

This particular image is a rather rare and difficult image to shoot and the very nature of the image cannot expect crisp sharpness although it has been taken with top quality equipment/lenses and a tripod etc. 

In fact this particular image was already sold for an article recently which could be seen it here on page 7.

I also searched Alamy for any other photos of Monsoon Clouds and found virtually noting that depicts the phenomenon accurately. I and saddened and dismayed because Alamy does not seem to understand the nature of this image and it precludes me from sending such images to Alamy in the future.

Archived