Distributor's commission

Probably been asked before, but not recently.

Just been notified of a sale $20.85 (Wheyhey!!!!) but then I'm hit with two commissions...Alamy's (30%) and a Distributor's (40%) - (so have lost 70%)...hardly seems right..is it?

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Unfortunately, yes, it is correct - Alamy raised their commission on all sales about one and a half year ago by 10%. This was especially hard to accept for the distributor sales, as only 30% was left to the photographer.

Nearly not worthwhile to enter the distributor sales any longer. I am still in it, but consider to leave. It is so frustrating to see the few dimes that are left.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 2

Probably been asked before, but not recently.

Just been notified of a sale $20.85 (Wheyhey!!!!) but then I'm hit with two commissions...Alamy's (30%) and a Distributor's (40%) - (so have lost 70%)...hardly seems right..is it?

I'm afraid so.

That's why I opted out. It feels soooo good not to feel pain anymore ;)

If Alamy decides to change the % so I earn my 50% and distr. + Alamy share the another 50% I'll opt in again, why not.

Can't understand why the third hand should get the bigges pie of the cake...

• Like 3

I'd be very careful before you dismiss distributor sales as not being worthwhile, as they do seem to be forming an increasingly important part of overall income. For example, for this month so far, 23 of my 90 licenses have been through distributors, at an average gross of just under $100. Direct sales average out at just less than $60. Consequently, I'm making almost exactly the same net figure from both. That doesn't mean I think that the comission split is fair - I don't. However, the distributors do seem to get better prices than Alamy, particularly in Japan and Germany.

Ian D

• Like 3

I agree with Ian.

Looking back on my sales I find that nearly half of them were via distributors, and some good ones there running into three figures.

I don't see the point of opting out of distributor sales, after all, the work has been done!

PS. Some of my best sales were in Japan & Germany!

Edited by David Davies

FWIW Would it not be fairer for the split to be 33.333% each of the total sale price?

I know we the togs would still be potentially losing on that sale over a straight Alamy sale but it would be better than we have now.

Allan

I'd be very careful before you dismiss distributor sales as not being worthwhile, as they do seem to be forming an increasingly important part of overall income. For example, for this month so far, 23 of my 90 licenses have been through distributors, at an average gross of just under $100. Direct sales average out at just less than $60. Consequently, I'm making almost exactly the same net figure from both. That doesn't mean I think that the comission split is fair - I don't. However, the distributors do seem to get better prices than Alamy, particularly in Japan and Germany.

Ian D

Which is what I'm finding. Happy to be in the distributor  scheme.

I've noticed a significant drop in distributor sales over the past year -- only about 14% of my 2014 sales have been distributor ones. I would of course rather get 50%, so I'm not complaining. Still, I wonder why there has been a decline in sales through distributors. Has anyone else experienced this?

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, Luca Parodi said:

I'm waiting for the payment and then I'll delete my account. Be charged over 85% is simply a robbery. $67 in sales and only $9 goes to me. Is this acceptable?

Resurrecting a 5-year old thread isn't very helpful, but you must be mistaken. There are no commission splits that high. AFAIK the highest is 70%.

Are you sure you're not including a refund in that total?

• Like 1