Canon 5d mark 3 - worth the upgrade from mark 2?

Can't comment  on the mark III, but I am very happy with the Mk II!   The Mk III was not within my budget, as I  also wanted to replace my aging 1Ds  Mk1 which I upgraded to a Mk III!

I made the upgrade and think it was worth it even though I paid top price when it first came out.  The focusing is so much more accurate with all the focus points to chose from, the colours seem nicer (subjective I know) and the ergonomics/handling are greatly improved.  I never really liked the Mkii but I really do like the Mkiii.  Got a decent price for the Mkii on Ebay. I have no regrets whatsoever. 

Pearl

I'm very happy with mine.  Better focussing, nicer to handle, more intuitive controls, several useful additions, such as the HDR and multiple exposure facilities (which I haven't totally explored yet, to be honest).  Live view is easier to use as it has a dedicated button.  Of course, you might not need or value these features.

Downside is that the viewfinder is a different size to previous models for no apparent reason so my older right-angle finder doesn't fit, and the body has a different profile underneath so, again, the RRS quick release plate from previous models doesn't fit either; another 50 quid.  At the moment, the secondhand value of the Mk11 is still quite buoyant so the price difference is not that bad (relatively speaking).

A good investment in my opinion - perhaps the last DSLR I will need.  

Chris

thanks everyone. I am happy with my mkII also but thinking it is time to upgrade. I just wasn't sure after some of the online reviews if it was worth it, but I am now tempted once again! There are some good deals on the mkIII just now and if I can still get a good price for the mkII then that is an extra incentive to change.

I was rather underwhelmed by a borrowed Mark 3. When my Mk2 dies....it''s overdue on shutter count alone, I'll either look to the next version or a 6D. Shadow noise in latter is impressive - in Canon terms.

Lordy. I still manage with my Mk1s but priced the Mk IIIs last week. I like the idea of silent mode but otherwise, I can't justify it.

Richard.

Good for you !!

Still with my 1ds11!!

Seems like a WHAT NEW CAMERA HAVE U BOUGHT  forum.

Colin.

I would only be interested in upgrading from Mk2 to Mk3 if the low-light performance was significantly better, i.e. can it produce the same quality as the Mk2 at a significantly higher ISO?

Alan

My Canon 5d Mk II will have to do for a long time, I think. The upgrade from Mk1 was worth it - decreased the dust spot problem enormously. I would also rate the low-light performance highly.

No, not really worth it.  I would upgrade when your bodies die (if you ever get to that point).

I upgraded both bodies.  The advantage is being able to write to an SD and CF card simultaneously.  I felt image quality actually decreased slightly - though with firmware updates, I think it has improved since I initially upgraded.

You will need to get used to a new focusing system and will miss the 9 point system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my two MK III's, but I don't think I would have upgraded had I tested the newer version out first.

I think no mirror is the future. No 5D111 for me. If Canon brings out a mirrorless equivalent to my 5D11, I will upgrade.

If my 5D11 body dies before a Canon mirrorless, I will bite the financial bullet and change to Sony mirrorless.

Seems like a WHAT NEW CAMERA HAVE U BOUGHT forum.

Ah, but lock a gang of photographers in a room and someone will eventually mention cameras. After that, it'll be downhill when another utters the word .. computer.

Richard

I think no mirror is the future. No 5D111 for me. If Canon brings out a mirrorless equivalent to my 5D11, I will upgrade.

If my 5D11 body dies before a Canon mirrorless, I will bite the financial bullet and change to Sony mirrorless.

That's my thinking exactly.

John.

When my MK2 dies I intend to get an A7R or 6D. The 5D MK3 is very overpriced in my opinion. I hoped the MK2 would last a good few more years unfortunately I have started getting a number of issues with it.

I bought my 5D MKIII nearly two years ago and I am very happy with the camera. Well, until two weeks ago when an "error 20" pop ups. Shutter and reflex box replaced and 500€ + VAT less in my pocket. :(  

I hope not to have the same problem again. I would not like to repeat the troubles that I had with my previous 1DMIII. It is frustrating having those expensive equipments with such low reliability levels.

Archived