Fine Art America - any good?

If you have both a personal and a fan page on facebook there should be checkboxes to mark which or both you want the new artwork announcement. I usually announce on my fan page but not on my personal page. I dislike bombarding my few friends with spam. They have to sign up for the fan page separately so I think that is ok. Occasionally I will make a post on my personal page mentioning my art and if anyone is interested to go to the fan page.

Thanks.

Perhaps I will create the fan page then. I was stopped by the information that you could not create the fan page unless your personal Facebook was activated. But there is obviously a choice afterwards....

• 3 weeks later...

After few months with FAA (since Jan.) still waiting for the first sale. But, the year is young still. I'd like to try Society6 as well so my question is - do I set my own prices? Where can I find it in my account?

I hope I'm not wasting my time...

I've been on FAA for a couple years, I don't market and I rarely exchange comments or votes.  As a result I'm not a big seller but I do sell some and the extra income is always welcome.  I'm up to just over a thousand images in my portfolio with nearly 80,000 views. For the most part it's a good online community with an active forum. 

I have to agree with Betty, using Photoshop, Topaz, Nik Efex, etc. to apply textures and filters helps a lot with sales.  I haven't been doing much of that but intend to start doing a lot more of it to increase sales.  I've been using FotoSketcher for a couple years on three different computers.  I've never had a moment's trouble with it and the effects are excellent.  The Topaz products are my favorite though.

For those of you considering posting on other PODs and websites, go to the FAA forum and do a search for the name of the POD and read the discussions.  Members there have shared a lot of good information and warnings about how other sites operate and pay (or not pay).

http://lynn-palmer.artistwebsites.com/

This thread has been fascinating. I particularly liked the description earlier about using textures as the background to create fascinating images. However, FAA has been weird for me. The image which has had the maximum sales so far is this one, and I cannot for the life of me understand why it has sold multiple times. I took this image soon after stopping playing, and just as a lark, without too much though. 

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/number-of-ping-pong-bats-piled-on-a-table-ashish-agarwal.html

This thread has been fascinating. I particularly liked the description earlier about using textures as the background to create fascinating images. However, FAA has been weird for me. The image which has had the maximum sales so far is this one, and I cannot for the life of me understand why it has sold multiple times. I took this image soon after stopping playing, and just as a lark, without too much though. 

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/number-of-ping-pong-bats-piled-on-a-table-ashish-agarwal.html

It just goes to show, you can never tell what is going to sell!

It just goes to show, you can never tell what is going to sell!

Yes, curious indeed,  surprising that that image is a multiple seller on FAA, if it was one of mine I would have put it on Alamy, but not FAA.

But maybe there are Table Tennis players out there desperate to get prints appropriate for their sport.

Thanks for sharing that is food for thought.

I couldn't put it on Alamy. Was taken with a point and shoot (so even for Alamy users, there are some advantages to point and shoot cameras). :-)

I got over that problem a while ago,  by getting rid of all my cameras not on Alamy "Recommended" list.

Of course I can still take pictures that cannot go on Alamy, but only by being incompetent

Now I am careful. But I have a number of photos (maybe in the >10K range, maybe because they are sitting in different albums, not yet cataloged) that were taken by point and shoot cameras, and I have to see what I can do with those. And I have an interesting twist. I have a large number of photos taken with a camera - Sony DSC R1, that was initially accepted but many months ago, MS stated that it is no longer accepted. An entire Switzerland trip is captured in that camera, and I have to look for alternate uses, such as this one.

(I tried adding an image from My Alamy, but not coming through in the preview. Not sure, whether it will come through in the final display. This is the link http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?&n=NaN&imageid={A569246B-4718-4598-81BD-0740151D1BBB})

• 1 month later...

Actually, I don't think selling prints interferes in any way with Alamy. It's just totally different from licensing use elsewhere.

Paulette

Hello all. I am brand new here and reading as many posts as possible, lots of great info. Is there any way of me confirming what Paulette said about selling prints not interfering at all with Alamy. I have quite a few images to upload to Alamy as RM, but also would like to sell prints, possibly FAA but also local galleries, shows, etc. (Can they be the same image?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

Actually, I don't think selling prints interferes in any way with Alamy. It's just totally different from licensing use elsewhere.

Paulette

Hello all. I am brand new here and reading as many posts as possible, lots of great info. Is there any way of me confirming what Paulette said about selling prints not interfering at all with Alamy. I have quite a few images to upload to Alamy as RM, but also would like to sell prints, possibly FAA but also local galleries, shows, etc. (Can they be the same image?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

You can sell the same images through Alamy as through FAA, neither are exclusive outlets.

John,

Paulette

Wally

You can sell the same images through Alamy as through FAA, neither are exclusive outlets.

John,

Thank you John,

Wally

Hi everybody, I just wondered if any of you who are with FAA  have joined the ABC/Disney program or the Interior designer program and how was it working out for you? Have you made any sales through those programs? Cheers, Harry Lee.

• 3 months later...

I recently discovered that I'd had a sale on Saatchi some six months ago which rekindled my interest in them and FAA, having had a few pics sat on both for a while. But how the hell does anybody find an image on there ? Must be totally luck if someone sees yours as far as I can see. I have tried my damdest to find my photos on there using the keyword search, but even being extremely specific ie inputting a location in deepest Norway, I can't get any of my images up. 

Am I missing something ? Does money need to change hands to improve your chances ? 

Hi everybody, I just wondered if any of you who are with FAA  have joined the ABC/Disney program or the Interior designer program and how was it working out for you? Have you made any sales through those programs? Cheers, Harry Lee.

1 year have passed, still no sales through those programs. 

I sold my first print from FAA on Friday!  Well chuffed.  :)

I will get about $60 for the print and I was pleasantly surprised that I will also get $7 commission on the cost of the framing.

So, thank you to Sheila, Linda and Betty for all the FAA info earlier in the year.

It eats nothing to have images on there and hopefully more sales will follow.

I sold my first print from FAA on Friday!  Well chuffed.  :)

I will get about $60 for the print and I was pleasantly surprised that I will also get $7 commission on the cost of the framing.

So, thank you to Sheila, Linda and Betty for all the FAA info earlier in the year.

It eats nothing to have images on there and hopefully more sales will follow.

Lastrega,

Congratulations - well done!

I have about 200 images on there now, but no sales yet.  I am not sure if my lack of self-promotion (No Twitter, No Facebook, No Blog) contributes to the lack of sales.   Do you do any of that?

I've got the Designer Prints program enabled and have made one sale so far:

firuz-aga-mosque-door-03-rick-piper-phot

A 30 x 20" print. It was sold for a 65% discount, so I only got $43.75, but a buyer with that big a discount must be buying large quanities regularly, so it may lead to more sales.

@Peter - I've been with FAA for about 3 years now, don't do any marketing at all, don't use FB etc, but make regular sales, so buyers must be finding me somehow - Google I suspect.

Archived