Best free spreadsheet program for Mac?

I've only submitted to DACS the past two years.  What I do is a mess, (although accepted) because I don't have a spreadsheet program unless there is one on my computer I can't find.  I have Pages and don't see one there, and using spotlight, can't find one anywhere.  I've never had any spreadsheet training, but I would like to submit my sales to DACS in a proper, nicely done spreadsheet.

What is the best and easiest to learn free spreadsheet program for Maverick?  I did find one, Open Office,  but it listed all the "cats" but didn't list Maverick as compatable.  I'd love to download a program and have time to practice with it before the next DACS submission is due.

Suggestions?

Betty

Betty I was the instigator of the discussion mentioned by spacecadet.

If you look on the apps at the bottom of your screen you will see one that looks like a graph in 3D. Hovering the mouse pointer over it tells you it is 'Numbers'. That is Apples native spreadsheet.

I use it now instead of Excel but looks like I need an Excel freebie to download Excel files from Alamy then convert to 'Numbers'.

Allan

OpenOffice is also FREE open source software available for all platforms.It's a complete suite of integrated programs.

When I upgraded to Mountain Lion,my numbers and pages data would not open so I now save under Excel or Word.

Apple did put an upgrade butit was difficult to find a few months ago.It's just a patch actually.

L

As mentioned in the link Mark posted above, LibreOffice and Numbers are what you should look for.

Numbers may well have shipped with your Mac as it is usually bundled with Pages; give it a try in spotlight.

Otherwise, try the free LibreOffice download.

-Jason

I don't have numbers.  I actually bought Pages when I got my first iMac, it didn't come bundled, and Numbers was not a part of it.  So if Numbers has to be converted to Excel, or an Excel look-alike, does it do me any good to download Numbers?

I do remember some program I put the info in the first year I claimed that was in Pages format, and the DACS people use PCs and could not read it.  I had to resave it in a Word format.

At the time, on my first iMac, I had bought Windows also for it, and used that program that let me zip over to it (Bootcamp?) if I needed it.  I did that because I had some software from my PC days that I was loathe to lose.  Turned out I never missed any of that software or used it again.  But having it made it nice to copy my Pages file and go over and put it in a Word document.  I also think I finally found an option in Pages that allowed me to save in Word, but when I got my new iMac, that option disappeared.

After buying my new 27" iMac, the Apple store copied everything from one HD to the other, but Windows and the program to use it never worked again.  I think I had to go some convaluted route to get to a Word format.  Something I looked up on the Internet that told me how to do it.

I know there are other Mac users who submit to DACS, how do you do it in a format that DACS can decipher?

Am I wrong in thinking I should bypass Numbers and go straight for something than can be read by DACS?

Betty

Edited to add:  Just did some surfing and apparently LO (Libreoffice) does not work with Mavericks.  Something to do with Java, and incompatibility.

Back to the drawing board.....

I used to use open office - very good if not a little quirky interface. Switched to Numbers as it is only very low cost (£15.00 ??)

I do all the work in numbers then print to a PDF for submission to DACs.... (PDF is a standard MAC printing option and all can read nowadays).

I use OpenOffice and can read MS Excel/Word documents, alter them and save as either .doc .xls or .odt (OpenOffice extension). I used to have to fire up my old PC to create invoices in Word but now use OpenOffice on my macbook pro and haven't had any problems.

Another possibility is Google Drive. As that works through a web interface, it should work on any machine that will access the internet. And it's free.

Basically, go to Google.com. CLick on the 3 x 3 matrix of dots in the top right (why are web interfaces now using obscure symbols when they used to use words?) and then click on 'Drive'. A red button will appear in the top left corner saying 'create'. Click this and choose the spreadsheet option. This should open a spreadsheet that is saved online rather than to your computer (though saving to your computer is an option, I think).

At least, the above is what I just did. If you don't already have a Google account set up, it'll probably ask you to set one up.

There will be a small learning curve, but the same applies to any spreadsheet software. Google Drive may well be less hassle than downloading/buying software.

Hope that helps ;-)

Another possibility is Google Drive. As that works through a web interface, it should work on any machine that will access the internet. And it's free.

Basically, go to Google.com. CLick on the 3 x 3 matrix of dots in the top right (why are web interfaces now using obscure symbols when they used to use words?) and then click on 'Drive'. A red button will appear in the top left corner saying 'create'. Click this and choose the spreadsheet option. This should open a spreadsheet that is saved online rather than to your computer (though saving to your computer is an option, I think).

At least, the above is what I just did. If you don't already have a Google account set up, it'll probably ask you to set one up.

There will be a small learning curve, but the same applies to any spreadsheet software. Google Drive may well be less hassle than downloading/buying software.

Hope that helps ;-)

David, I think I'll try the Google route.  I have an account.  Thanks for the diagram for getting to the spreadsheet option, you know me by now and know I DO need a diagram, lol!  Without those instructions, I'd still be at it tomorrow and be bald-headed after pulling all my hair out.

If that doesn't work out for me, then I'll try Numbers or Libreoffice as suggested above.

Thanks to all, I'll come back and let you know what's working for me.

Betty

Following on from the above I emailed MS and asked if the 'export to excel' could be expanded to cover both windows and Apple platforms, or maybe introduce another clickable link for Apple alongside the existing link.

They replied that they would put it to their technical bods. It is now a waiting game to hear the outcome of their deliberations.

Allan

Following on from the above I emailed MS and asked if the 'export to excel' could be expanded to cover both windows and Apple platforms, or maybe introduce another clickable link for Apple alongside the existing link.

They replied that they would put it to their technical bods. It is now a waiting game to hear the outcome of their deliberations.

Allan

Allan, this sounds promising.  I may wait on that decision, it would be the simplest solution, wouldn't it?  After all, it will be some months before we need to submit to DACS for 2013.  Hopefully Alamy would move one way or the other by then??  Or...am I a foolish optimist?   :)

I now have numbers.  Knowing nothing much about how to use the spreadsheet function, I did look at it and it said I could export an Excel file to numbers. That's something I will have to figure out how to do, starting with Export to Excel within Alamy.  What I don't know is if I can convert it to a readable by DACs doc file.  I'm off to play with it.

Have not played a lot with numbers yet so not fully conversant with it but I believe it is possible to export as an Adobe PDF doc.

Numbers is not a lot like Excel in operation but just play with it, when you have time, and it grows on you.

Allan

I will play with it, Allan, thanks. 

Julie, you say you print out in PDF form, then do you just mail in your DACS submission?  I have done mine online in the past, and prefer to be able to submit online as a doc. file, since what I sent in Pages couldn't be read by them.

If need be, I guess I can mail it in, but I'm such a procrastinator, I'm usually getting my sub in at the wire, lol!  Kind of like doing my taxes here in the US, with a deadline of April 15th, I usually get mine done around April 7th! :) (or a few days later!)

Wow!  Just did some online research and this is what I found.

I can:

Export my file from Alamy as a PDF and save. 

Go to "Google Docs" and log in.

Click upload icon next to "Create"

Choose "File" and select my PDF file

At the "Upload Settings" screen, check all boxes to convert the file, including "Convert text from PDF & image files to Google documents.

Once opened in Google Docs, click "File" menu within GDocs and choose "Download As" followed by "Microsoft Word 97-2003 (.doc) to convert the origin file to a DOC

The converted PDF file will download as a new Doc file from the browser.

This DOC file can be edited.

This looks to be the best and easiest way to go.  The Numbers research I did said that while the Numbers file can be converted to Excel, often there are errors that happen with the conversion, and these errors can't be edited on my end, only on the end of the person receiving the Excel file.  I don't want to send something with errors.

Betty

Betty, another option you could try is NeoOffice for Mavericks.  I used it for a while, but it couldn't handle the heavy duty spreadsheets that were part of my life at the time.  As far as I can tell there is a version available for Mavericks - search for "NeoOffice for Mavericks" and take care to get it from a reliable source.  Personally I would prefer a solution that runs on my own machine rather than something hosted on a web site, but that's just me being paranoid about security.  Avoid Java if you can - it's a favourite attack vector for hackers (yes, that paranoia is really showing).

Regards

Lionel

Betty, another option you could try is NeoOffice for Mavericks.  I used it for a while, but it couldn't handle the heavy duty spreadsheets that were part of my life at the time.  As far as I can tell there is a version available for Mavericks - search for "NeoOffice for Mavericks" and take care to get it from a reliable source.  Personally I would prefer a solution that runs on my own machine rather than something hosted on a web site, but that's just me being paranoid about security.  Avoid Java if you can - it's a favourite attack vector for hackers (yes, that paranoia is really showing).

Regards

Lionel

Thank you, Lionel, I will check that out.  LOL, I don't think you are paranoid.  Just sound thinking.

I bit the bullet and bought Office for Mac. I think it was about 80 UK quid at the time. I rarely use Excel and never use Powerpoint, but my Son does for his school presentations. I do a lot of writing, so to have a full working version of Word that easily transfers between Mac and Windows was a Godsend. Its earn't its keep over the year or so that I've had it.

I've had some run ins with freeware over the years so I tend to stay clear.

I bit the bullet and bought Office for Mac. I think it was about 80 UK quid at the time. I rarely use Excel and never use Powerpoint, but my Son does for his school presentations. I do a lot of writing, so to have a full working version of Word that easily transfers between Mac and Windows was a Godsend. Its earn't its keep over the year or so that I've had it.

I've had some run ins with freeware over the years so I tend to stay clear.

Thanks, Richard.  I just looked it up, and apparently there are some problems with Maverick.  To do with fonts.  There are fixes and workarounds, but that is beyond my capabilities to do those kinds of things.  Seems like if you fix it, then every time Maverick updates, it causes problems again.  Whoa, Nellie!

I need something that works straightaway, not something that I spend a good bit of $$ for, then not have the expertise to fix the problems.  A shame, if it worked seamlessly with Maverick, I might seriously consider it.

But on second thought, I actually need something to use once a year, and it would be foolish to pay the price for that.  Good of you to mention it, though, thank you!

bl

Archived