Hi i will admit to being a little embarrassed by posting a second time on the same subject but i have now had my third rejection for Q.C so as you can imagine the old confidence has taken a severe bashing !!! i don't think of my images as particularly special but did think i could get four past quality control i understand how critical the D800 can be when it comes to quality glass and shutter speed but if anyone has time to take a look and give honest and constructive criticism and would very much appreciate any advice before submitting anymore, i don't use Flickr much but have put 5 images on there using the same settings i have used when submitting to Alamy i appreciate you guys have better things to do but if there is anyone out there with a few spare moments then thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autotech/           Many thanks Tony

Hi Tony:

In order to judge what may have happened, we really need to see these at 100%, because that is how they are judged. What reasons did Alamy give for rejection?

In a quick look, perhaps the one of the Basilica has too much noise when viewed at 100%.

Tony, listen to George and Jill (sounds like a ballroom dance team). You might also want to give the forum some more information on cameras and lenses and software etc so we don't have to ask 25 obvious questions. 

And remember that Alamy QC judge only the tech quality; they are not interested in where you have traveled to or how artistic you are.  Sharp pictures of canned beans in good light using good technique will get you in the game. 

Good luck.

Not to be harsh, but there is no way you will pass with those pics!! All five have very apparent Jpeg artifacts, hard pixelation, and blocky color tones at full size.

Okay, I'll take a step back: They are very good photos- well captured, exposed, framed, good colors, no camera shake, etc. Camera technique from what I can tell is great!

But you have a very large problem somewhere in your digital workflow- So, are these captured in jpeg or RAW? Are they sharpened? 

It looks to be like you are applying some pretty heavy sharpening somewhere in the workflow- Hopefully these are RAW captures and you can go back and fix it easily- Also, perhaps take a look at your export presets- don't enlarge, and don't apply sharpening on export.

Lastly, you'll need to take a closer look for dust spots at 100%.  ;)

Hope that helps- once again, great shots, just need to get the technical aspects worked out!

-Jason

I would hazard a guess that statue Italy failed for over sharpening, but we need to view the actual images that you uploaded at 100% to be able

to help you more. As already stated if these were shot in RAW you may not need to change that much for these images to pass.

Regards

Craig

[view each photo at 100% by clicking at right of photo:  ". . . ."  ---> "more options" ---> "Download/All sizes"-->  "Original]

Tony Swain, I enjoyed viewing your photos - lovely colors, composition....

apparent dust spots:

• When viewed at 7"x10", the Fountain Abbey has what appears as dust spots in right top half of sky (move photo a bit around your screen to see them easily)

extreme lighting:

• The dark Italy Basilica (especially upper left corner) and Winter trees in snow (ground at horizon looks washed out at 100%) seem risky for First-4 shots.

sharpening:

• Like the fountain water capture, but there's over-sharpening, especially the building roof

all the best - Ann

Sorry Tony,

If you look at the fountain at full size there is camera shake (and/or over sharpening), look at the stone key above the figures head. Also look at background building windows and the aerial. There is a clear double image or halo around them. Sharpening will not correct out of focus, motion blur or camera shake; if it is not sharp, it is not sharpthere is not really any way to recover it in such circumstaneces

The abbey doesn't really look crisp which it should with the lighting you had. There are ghostly blurred figures so the exposure was long, probably even too long for a camera held on a wall, was the camera on a decent tripod?

The horseman is sharp but there are artifacts (square blocks) from too low a quality jpeg at some point and posterisation - was the exposure adjusted significantly in post production (probably on a jpeg original)?

Nice composition but I am afraid no one would have got those image past QC. Having had multiple attempts you are probably going to be scrutinised very closely so your next submission should be bitingly sharp (without any sharpening, in camera or afterwards), exposed spot on in camera, no scaling up and output a100% quality jpeg and I would suggest you start with a raw files and clean them meticulously. If you are in any doubt whatesoever the image will probably not be good enough. Bear in mind if you resave a jpeg especially after editing it will resample and the quality will get worse each time. ALWAYS work on a copy of your original if you must shoot jpeg.

Nice photos Tony.

At a guess, I would say you may have got done on just one of them. The birds in the sky may be a bit tenuous. It's difficult to tell without a blow up of 100%.

What lenses are you using on the D800? I haven't had the D800 out so far this winter and only took it out to check the other evening along with the lenses in anticipation of better weather.

You know the rules on sharpening at Alamy?

You do not need to contact MS for more information: you have all you need in most of the posts above. Take heed, make the adjustments to your workflow (and perhaps technique re: long-exposure setup) as suggested, and you're on your way.

HOwever, as others have commented, your "eye" needs no adjustment :) 

dd

WOW and thanks too everyone for very helpful guidance all of the comments are exactly what i need , helpful constructive guidance.

Many thanks to everyone and now back to the drawing board !!!

Tony

DD is probably correct, you've no doubt gotten some very useful advice here. Personally, I would still consider contacting member services about particular images if you remain confused. You might be surprised by what they come back with. I know I have. Good luck.

Archived