Slow QC these days?

Posted (edited)

I haven't made many submissions lately, and I'm wondering if QC is slower than it used to be for five-star generals. Amazingly, I still have that coveted five-star QC rating, so my images normally sail right through them pearly Alamy gates. A small batch uploaded yesterday has gone into QC for a random check, which I had expected was due to happen. In the past, they usually cleared very quickly -- i.e. within a few hours or overnight. However, the current lot is still sitting in QC purgatory. I don't see any likely failures among them, but one never knows... 😟

Edited by John Mitchell

14 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I haven't made many submissions lately, and I'm wondering if QC is slower than it used to be for five-star generals. Amazingly, I still have that coveted five-star QC rating, so my images normally sail right through them pearly Alamy gates. A small batch uploaded yesterday has gone into QC for a random check, which I had expected was due to happen. In the past, they usually cleared very quickly -- i.e. within a few hours or overnight. However, the current lot is still sitting in QC purgatory. I don't see any likely failures among them, but one never knows... 😟

Hi John, I had my first QC fail on Wednesday. 2 images out of 12 were deemed ‘Soft and Lacking Definition’. I found I could still upload though so just selected what I thought were the best 4 of the batch and re-uploaded them. While they usually go through QC in 24 hours they haven’t yet but I thought this was because of my QC fail whereby I might be in a slower group for a while. I still have my 3 stars. But I wonder if they are doing a sweep of quality assessments at the moment and looking extra closely at everything.

It’s early morning and still dark here but about to head out to do sunrise bird photography soon in what looks like may be atmospheric foggy conditions.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Also five-star and, like you say, usually QC is instantaneous but sometimes--maybe one in five submission or so--it goes through actual QC and that takes a day or so, but I think it's been occasionally a bit longer. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi John, I had my first QC fail on Wednesday. 2 images out of 12 were deemed ‘Soft and Lacking Definition’. I found I could still upload though so just selected what I thought were the best 4 of the batch and re-uploaded them. While they usually go through QC in 24 hours they haven’t yet but I thought this was because of my QC fail whereby I might be in a slower group for a while. I still have my 3 stars. But I wonder if they are doing a sweep of quality assessments at the moment and looking extra closely at everything.

It’s early morning and still dark here but about to head out to do sunrise bird photography soon in what looks like may be atmospheric foggy conditions.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I'm part of the "sweep". No doubt I'll find out soon if I'm headed for a demotion.

Hope you have/had fun with the birds. I'm much too lazy to head out early these days. 😪

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Just saw images submitted on the 4 June have now passed QC. 

Mine also usually go through within 24 hours.

Sundays scheduled maintenance for Sunday 9th has been cancelled, the announcement has been updated.

1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

Sundays scheduled maintenance for Sunday 9th has been cancelled, the announcement has been updated.

Thanks for mentioning it. I don't think I would have noticed.

Paulette

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I'm part of the "sweep". No doubt I'll find out soon if I'm headed for a demotion.

Hope you have/had fun with the birds. I'm much too lazy to head out early these days. 😪

Thank you John.

The idea of a sweep is purely speculation on my part and could be completely wrong. It sounds like a few people have had delays and have now passed, so hopefully yours has gone through too. Mine is still in QC so probably in a slower lane because of my QC fail.

Still out on my birding expedition but sheltering back in my car as rain showers go through at the moment. The forecast fog did not eventuate and conditions are quite dull in terms of light, but I’ve enjoyed being out in the elements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I have also had a fairly fast turn-around with no rejections ever. However, recent subs are taking ages and tonight I can't even get on the site?

3 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

Also five-star and, like you say, usually QC is instantaneous but sometimes--maybe one in five submission or so--it goes through actual QC and that takes a day or so, but I think it's been occasionally a bit longer. 

Similar pattern here. When mine have the random check and go into "actual QC" as the current batch has, they always get looked at fairly quickly. It never takes longer than overnight. Anyway, que sera, sera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

My last submission went for QC on 5th June last and it's still awaiting action. Normally mine gets completed the following day.

Jim.

Ditto.

Allan (3 star)

18 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I wonder if they are doing a sweep of quality assessments at the moment and looking extra closely at everything.

Sally, my stock shooting sister,

I can confirm via emails from administrators;
"Supergreen" level = auto pass, occasional QC;
but now they are being failed more often down
to always QC'd, but as soon as possible;
slowness due to QC team member(s) sometimes
transferred to other projects;
once Supergreen is demoted they won't return
to Supergreen status, they will always be QC'd;
(the latter happened to me)
I am not clear on this but maybe
Supergreen = 4*?
demoted = 3* or less?

I don't think there is a 4. It is considered unlucky in some Asian countries. If you look on your dashboard you will see your stars right under Last updated on 29 May 2024 

Paulette

16 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Sally, my stock shooting sister,

I can confirm via emails from administrators;
"Supergreen" level = auto pass, occasional QC;
but now they are being failed more often down
to always QC'd, but as soon as possible;
slowness due to QC team member(s) sometimes
transferred to other projects;
once Supergreen is demoted they won't return
to Supergreen status, they will always be QC'd;
(the latter happened to me)
I am not clear on this but maybe
Supergreen = 4*?
demoted = 3* or less?

Hello Jeff, I only ever had 3 star status so I’ve never gone straight through QC. I haven’t been demoted because of my recent fail but it has taken longer to go through QC rather than the usual 24 hours. It sounds like what you are saying is if you are demoted from the top tier you always go through QC subsequently.

I will feel relieved when my next ones pass 🤞 The two images that failed were ‘Soft or lacking definition’. I was surprised they failed at first but on closer inspection, although in focus and sharp, they did lack a bit of definition. Both were on higher ISO. One was of a pelican with the head clearly sharp but parts of the body did lack definition and were a bit softer. In a way it’s a positive as I was so keen with my uploads I was probably rushing a bit so it makes me slow down and be more vigilant.

32 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Just discovered that my submission for QC on 5 June last has passed QC this morning the 9 June. Sunday too!

Jim.

That’s great Jim. You made me check AIM and I found mine have just passed too. Phew! 😅 

Still on 5*. My own deduction is it is slow and likely to go to QC check if uploaded over the weekend. I've stopped uploading after noon Friday until Monday when the backlog has cleared. Uploaded two sets today, straight through. 

Webby

31 minutes ago, Webby said:

Still on 5*. My own deduction is it is slow and likely to go to QC check if uploaded over the weekend. I've stopped uploading after noon Friday until Monday when the backlog has cleared. Uploaded two sets today, straight through. 

Webby

I've uploaded on weekends and they have gone right through. My most recent submission was on Thursday AM (Vancouver time).

It had been awhile since the last random check, so I wasn't surprised when the images went into QC. 

1 minute ago, Steve F said:

One upload last week and one over the weekend just passed QC. Both 24 hours.

Yes, this seems to be back to normal.

But how much longer before the dashboard gets resolved?

Seems to be low priority.

1 minute ago, Tony ALS said:

Yes, this seems to be back to normal.

But how much longer before the dashboard gets resolved?

Seems to be low priority.

Agreed. I hope it's not affecting sales. Seems to be ok...

It seems to be affecting me.

First 4 months I am close to the whole of revenue for last year (my best year).

However 0 in May and just 1 this month for $1.

Something doesn't seem quite right, Alamy just seems a bit 'unhealthy'.