Condensation prevention. Tips please.

In my experience, you may get condensation moving from outside to in (cold to warm), but not the other way around (warm to cold). But if you come into a cold van and it warms up slowly, there shouldn't be a problem (again, in my experience :) )

dd

A while ago I had a assignment that involved working in a chilled food distribution warehouse. I took photgraphs of people loading trucks in a temp of +2C and then came out and into some offices to process the files.

Before I left the cold area I tightly sealed the camera in a plastic bag, came out of the fridge and gave it about 15 mins before removing and no condensation. It also helps to place a few silica gel packets in the bag as a further precaution.

Andy

After years of using a campervan for location work, YES, condensation is always a problem. As much as temperature differential, it is your propensity to breath which is the problem. Your breath builds up the humidity while sleeping and the van gets cold resulting in a great morning dew situation. Boiling a small kettle for a hot drink is ill-advised! Life gets pretty basic in the Estallmobile in cooler months.

If you can keep the camera gear in a closed bag and wrap it up in a blanket to keep it as dry and cool as possible, that will help a lot. You might try one of those supermarket coolerbags. Put the camera bag over your shoulder or back and wait until you are on the slopes before you are tempted to open it. Chances are you may get away with it.

good luck!

Robert

Not much to add to this - keep camera in a sealed bag with a sachet or two of silica gel and keep it cool. Even leave it outside if you can, but be sure to remove the batteries first and keep them warm! 

Good luck in the Cairngorms - one of my favourite places.

Jim.

Nothing to add to the good advice above other than:

I stayed in Aviemore once around Easter and parked the car at the front of the hotel. I wondered why it was so easy to get a space at the front door and the car park round the back was full. Next morning I found the car covered in the thickest ice I've ever had to scrape off a windscreen !!

So my advice would be to make sure you park in a sheltered spot out of sight of the hills. :)

If you're using separate lenses, in other words something like a DSLR that has expensive, detachable lenses, the worst thing about damp and condensation is fungus. If I have been out and about and the weather is the way it is at the moment, I go to great lengths to dry it all out and check it thoroughly. I keep all lenses and cameras in their bags and and keep them in a dry place. I am checking them tonight actually because I haven't taken them out for ages.

Hi Christine

If you have one a pelican case is good as its o ring seal waterproof and you can put a bag of silica gel (a big bag google it ) plastic bags with a seal like freezer bags are a good idea until the items equalise in temp.

Also beware that the internal elements can take a while to demist if they do get damp and the sensor can fog up too if cold (difficult to spot) so get a few hand warmers to tape /stick to the camera (Hotties) they also keep the battery going when it gets v-cold.

There is a lot of water in butane/ propane fuel used in caravans / campers so vent when cooking etc.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll look for the silica and sealable bags.

As for dehumidifiers, I did buy these (link below) a few weeks ago. I haven't tried them in the van but judging from the way they perform in the kitchen, I think they will fight a losing battle in the van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Pack-Portable-Rechargeable-Moisture-Absorbing-Dehumidifier-Wardrobe-Caravan-/310825999686

Are these similar to the ones you bought?

Christine

Archived