Similars?

Ed Rooney

Question

In 2024 I find myself living in the inner city of Liverpool. It is smaller than my neighborhood in NYC. I don't intend to move and travel to capture new subjects is not an option. That's much too expensive with these $ fees. So I find myself revisiting the same subjects again and again. 

I wonder what savvy forum folks think about revisiting and unloading similar subjects. 

I am not asking about similar images captured at the same time, that is several frames captured at the same time and all uploaded to Alamy -- I don't do that. Let me show you what I'm asking about. ???

statue-of-the-beatles-walking-by-andrew-

two-young-tourists-wrapped-up-against-th

I think "similars" is really only an issue of submitting multiple photos taken somewhat consecutively in the same light and camera orientation, with little to no difference from frame to frame.   Revisiting a subject is totally fair game and I think good practice, in many cases.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sandi said:

I've never seen the Beatles statues in L'pool, but a I spent hours just a bit further back from the Mersey watching the Bucket Fountain in the late 60's. (Students need to fill their time). Have you photographed that? I didn't have a good enough camera back then. 😢

The Piazza Fountain it's called -- 5 mins from my front door. It's been shut down for a while. 

People, please -- I'm not looking for new subject matter. My question is about similar.

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think "similars" is really only an issue of submitting multiple photos taken somewhat consecutively in the same light and camera orientation, with little to no difference from frame to frame.   Revisiting a subject is totally fair game and I think good practice, in many cases.

Yes

• Like 2

Yes

On 22/04/2024 at 15:20, Ed Rooney said:

Cat Woman, Strawberry Fields is a cemetery. It's closed to the public. If you do a search you'll see just one image; the sign at the gate. 

It's a wonder no one has flown a drone over the cemetery to photograph it, or if possible shot it from an elevated position.

I have photographed buildings/businesses  multiple  times from the same position, the only difference being the people walking past, entering or exiting, they were all obviously different. I select a variant of people based upon age, clothing, numbers in a group, ethnicity etc.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I saw a guy on Castle Street yesterday who looked a lot like me. Would he be considered a similar? Or am I the similar? Oh oh.

A glitch in the matrix!

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm gonna take my old RX10 out today -- not a pocket spy camera, an in-your-face camera. I may even yell at people: "Hey you, over here!" 

Go for it Edo, release your inner Bruce Gilden but watch out for handbags aimed at your head! 👜

• Like 2

On 26/04/2024 at 02:08, Ed Rooney said:

I saw a guy on Castle Street yesterday who looked a lot like me. Would he be considered a similar? Or am I the similar? Oh oh.

I met my double when I was 7 years old. Same age within a week or two; we could have been twins. Same size, coloring, bone structure, everything. I was a bit freaked out. Okay, a lot freaked out. We tried to play together those summer days but it didn’t go well because about all we could do is stare at each other & feel weird.

Her name was Yetty, mine is Betty. And no, I’m not pulling your leg. We only lived near each other for a month or so, but I’ve often wondered as I went through my life if we still looked like twins, & if she was giving birth to my children’s replicas.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I met my double when I was 7 years old. Same age within a week or two; we could have been twins. Same size, coloring, bone structure, everything. I was a bit freaked out. Okay, a lot freaked out. We tried to play together those summer days but it didn’t go well because about all we could do is stare at each other & feel weird.

Her name was Yetty, mine is Betty. And no, I’m not pulling your leg. We only lived near each other for a month or so, but I’ve often wondered as I went through my life if we still looked like twins, & if she was giving birth to my children’s replicas.

Betty, I once saw what looked like my double in a high school text book, a Slovakian peasant girl about the same age as me at the time. It was taken in the early 20th century. It was seriously freaky and I've wondered if I have Slovakian ancestors I don't know about! But it would be even more freaky to meet them in person like you did.

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

'Twas that on The Twilight Zone😧

6 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Betty, I once saw what looked like my double in a high school text book, a Slovakian peasant girl about the same age as me at the time. It was taken in the early 20th century. It was seriously freaky and I've wondered if I have Slovakian ancestors I don't know about! But it would be even more freaky to meet them in person like you did.

It’s said everyone has a double. I’ve seen a few who looked very similar to me, like you saw, Edo. After all, when you think of the millions of people on the earth at the same time you (we) are, there are only so many bone structures & coloring out there. I would imagine there are more doubles, triples, etc that we can imagine. Rather boggles the mind.

• Like 1