does anyone wear an "Alamy" shirt when shooting?

There have been a couple of times when I've been asked "who I was shooting for" and I always answer "Alamy, do you know them?" Pro PR people will always say "yes," even if they don't. Good photographers with publication records are what they need. And people at that level will have the effect of pushing the amateurs and pikers to one side.

Clothing is another story. On big, outdoor commercial shoots with a large team, members will be issued tee shirts or hats to identify  them.  I don't have any left (after more than thirty years) but I would gladly sport some Alamy gear. Fleeces, hats, or anything with big writing helps. Another thing that works is photocard-sized portfolios of your work. These have two or three of your top photos, your (legal!) name, and a contact email address. Simply being able to produce them makes a big difference! And every now and then, that email will get you invited to a future event and/or after-party.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Another thing that works is photocard-sized portfolios of your work. These have two or three of your top photos, your (legal!) name, and a contact email address. Simply being able to produce them makes a big difference!

Brian, that's a great idea!

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

No, but there are some nice ones here. 👕

Lmao 😆

• Love 1

Steve, what counts in many of these situations is the ability to quickly and modestly demonstrate your professionalism. Do your best to be the photographer that other people want to have around. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Steve, what counts in many of these situations is the ability to quickly and modestly demonstrate your professionalism. Do your best to be the photographer that other people want to have around. 

+1  Smile and be a proffesional.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

pushing the amateurs and pikers to one side.

Not that you'd know but over here "piker" is very similar to a grossly offensive term for Travellers/Romani. Naturally I didn't think you'd use it so I had to check what it meant in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not that you'd know but over here "piker" is very similar to a grossly offensive term for Travellers/Romani. Naturally I didn't think you'd use it so I had to check what it meant in the US.

Mark, you're right. I didn't know. The American meaning suits my statement perfectly though. This is from a major online dictionary: "one who does things in a small way." 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Mark, you're right. I didn't know. The American meaning suits my statement perfectly though. This is from a major online dictionary: "one who does things in a small way." 

That sums me up perfectly. I'm going to have to add it to my CV! 😉 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian1947 said:

They look like payment shirts. A bit small and you only get 

40% of what you want.

Yes indeed. I used to wear Large. Now I'm having to make do with Medium. Hopefully I won't have to eventually squeeze into Small. 🙃

If you believe what you might still find in an old film (probably B&W, but talking) If you were a photographer (before "tog") you wore a fedora with a ticket "Press" jauntily shoved into the ribbon. No need for an actual press card or naff t shirt with some logo . The prat from the security partoll would have no idea what Alamy might be about. 

I have page on my blog "in the media" - a selection of screengrabs of published photos in mags & newspapers, jpegs of the first page or two of magazine articles, covers of books I've written etc. 
Also useful when writing to prospective media events, mag editors etc.

And I have screengrabs on my phone so I can show anyone who enquires. Sometimes I'll put a copy of a relevant mag with a feature of mine in my camera bag. Useful when the main language isn't English, it's opened a few doors.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Maybe a mug?  

"I am.an Alamy mug".  ???????😀

Where's the merch????

I have one that says "beware, I'm developing my personality" in German...........learnt "entwicklung" years ago from the multilingual leaflets in packets of slide film of course😉

Edited by spacecadet

56 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Where's the merch????

I have one that says "beware, I'm developing my personality" in German...........learnt "entwicklung" years ago from the multilingual leaflets in packets of slide film of course😉

Merch??? We should get them free!

Edited by Mr Standfast

to be honest, if anyone spots me as a professional photographer, I think I have failed. The idea of identifying myself with anything like an alamy  tee-shirt is a non starter for me. I keep my kit to a minimum and just about never use a tripod. In the days when I hauled a Pentax67 around, I had too many problems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

to be honest, if anyone spots me as a professional photographer, I think I have failed. The idea of identifying myself with anything like an alamy  tee-shirt is a non starter for me. I keep my kit to a minimum and just about never use a tripod. In the days when I hauled a Pentax67 around, I had too many problems.

When I was a kid, one of my favourite novels was The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.