Just sold an image scheduled for deletion

Bryan

I use a dummy pseudo for images that I feel may reduce my chances of a sale, i.e. an inferior, in my view, photo of a scene that is better presented in another shot. I transfer such photos into a dummy pseudo, and then delete. This one I forgot to delete !  I've always admired those contributors who have a small tightly curated collection and who do well here, but maybe deletion isn't the answer  for me ?  🙃

• Like 1

Ah, Bryan. I had about 30 of my bad or insignificant ones up for deletion once & sold one. I immediately asked Alamy to remove them from deletion. This was years ago, though, & I have since deleted some. It’s hard to know what to do. Some of them I’ve been ashamed to have in my collection. Usually early years images when I didn’t understand the concept of stock. Such as this one.

ABX6RM.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ah, Bryan. I had about 30 of my bad or insignificant ones up for deletion once & sold one. I immediately asked Alamy to remove them from deletion. This was years ago, though, & I have since deleted some. It’s hard to know what to do. Some of them I’ve been ashamed to have in my collection. Usually early years images when I didn’t understand the concept of stock. Such as this one.

ABX6RM.jpg

I like it a lot (seriously). Don't delete!

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

ABX6RM.jpg

Looks like a good concept image to me, would need appropriate keywords to make a sale.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

ABX6RM.jpg

Classic!

Edited by Mr Standfast

There's a lesson in stock we all seem to have trouble learning: we know what has sold; we don't know what will sell. 

I don't spend any time or effort looking for images to delete. Sometimes, I might delete an image right after I've uploaded it. (That's when I do my caps and tags.) Here in Liverpool, I don't even concern myself with similars. I don't set out to capture them but this is a small city where I find myself confronting the same subjects, again and again. I don't have a car. 

I can't imagine why Betty would want to delete that provocative image -- there's a strong message there.  🙂 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 15/11/2023 at 21:30, Bryan said:

I use a dummy pseudo for images that I feel may reduce my chances of a sale, i.e. an inferior, in my view, photo of a scene that is better presented in another shot. I transfer such photos into a dummy pseudo, and then delete. This one I forgot to delete !  I've always admired those contributors who have a small tightly curated collection and who do well here, but maybe deletion isn't the answer  for me ?  🙃

I do similar. But very rarely have I actually deleted any. The reason for that was because I've actually sold a few since I opened the new pseudonym. What do I know. I suppose there's a buyer for every image but maybe just the one.

Nothing special but I was surprised when this one sold (licensed).

full-rubbish-skip-C769C1.jpg

I thought it was rubbish.  Taken in 2011  sold in 2016 at the time I was thinking of deleting it.

I only shot it to get into the shooting mood.

Allan

I have sold 1 image that was earmarked for deletion in the past. It's now gone forever, but the lighting was pretty bad and it only sold for peanuts in any case.

@Betty LaRue and @Allan Bell both your images look very saleable! Allan, doesn't need to be pretty to sell - yours does show off a 'full skip' concept well.

I tend to delete anything I'm not keen on before it gets up on Alamy. But once it's up, maybe just delete if you've taken and uploaded better subsequent shots.

Well, thanks y’all. Guess I’ll go over the keywords & see if I can improve them. That image was in one of my first batches. I went to this pretty park with the idea of shooting ducks & geese on the pond, not realizing yet there’s only a million of them on Alamy. DUH!

It was lunchtime & this guy was spending some relaxation time.