Tree id please

geogphotos

In a churchyard, Wiltshire, England. It caught my eye but I can't identify.

Any ideas please - I know that yew trees are often found in churchyards but it looks less gnarled and more of a spread. 

Possibly a cedar?? Cedrus libani

I0000G9dUegs59hk.jpg

I000083FS5ogK0AA.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by geogphotos

41 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Churchyard would know. Maybe. 

It's at Colerne. I see that they have three yew trees but don't think that this is one of them. 

I've sent them an email.

Edited by geogphotos

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

In a churchyard, Wiltshire, England. It caught my eye but I can't identify.

Any ideas please - I know that yew trees are often found in churchyards but it looks less gnarled and more of a spread. 

Possibly a cedar?? Cedrus libani

I0000G9dUegs59hk.jpg

I000083FS5ogK0AA.jpg

Thanks for looking

I’m thinking some kind of cedar, but I’m no expert.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It's at Colerne. I see that they have three yew trees but don't think that this is one of them. 

I've sent them an email.

Loked at my colerne pictures, no help but fixed some spelling mistakes. 😇

30 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Loked at my colerne pictures, no help but fixed some spelling mistakes. 😇

Loked!  Ahem!

Allan

Another possibility is the old church yard tree.  Yew  Taxus baccata. The Yew bark is very much like the bark in your photo.

Allan

Hello Ian - thank you for sharing your great picture

It is an ATLAS CEDAR - Cedrus Atlantica

22 yrs ago both the trunk and crown had been taken over by dense ivy growing almost everywhere.

I had to use a chain saw to sever the ivy on the trunk in 2 places approx a metre apart

After 3 months I was able to remove that metre of ivy with a crowbar.

It then took about 3 yrs for the ivy to die, and be removed and at the same time i was able to remove quite a bit of deadwood

In recent years it has become a magnificent item - and I am very proud of it!!

Thanks for being interested, and all best regards

Coolest story. I like your persistence, Ian. I’ve been trying to identify the tree in my back yard for 5 years, since I bought this house. Haven’t done it yet, so I’m not taking pictures until I do. I took a sprig with the opposing leaf pattern to my local nursery that sells trees & other plants. She identified it but it was wrong. The tree she said it was is a smaller tree that turns vivid red in autumn. My tree is very tall, and doesn’t exhibit autumn colors. Just a non-vivid yellowing then goes thump in a week or so, then all gone.

The leaf pattern looks similar to this

green-ash-tree-leave-on-white-background

& tree ID place suggests green ash. When I search on Alamy with that name, a lot of Mountain Ash or Rowan comes up. Mine doesn’t have those vivid red berries but much smaller clusters of smaller berries with a pinkish color. The birds & squirrels love them.

Edited by Betty LaRue

56 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Coolest story. I like your persistence, Ian. I’ve been trying to identify the tree in my back yard for 5 years, since I bought this house. Haven’t done it yet, so I’m not taking pictures until I do. I took a sprig with the opposing leaf pattern to my local nursery that sells trees & other plants. She identified it but it was wrong. The tree she said it was is a smaller tree that turns vivid red in autumn. My tree is very tall, and doesn’t exhibit autumn colors. Just a non-vivid yellowing then goes thump in a week or so, then all gone.

The leaf pattern looks similar to this

green-ash-tree-leave-on-white-background

& tree ID place suggests green ash. When I search on Alamy with that name, a lot of Mountain Ash or Rowan comes up. Mine doesn’t have those vivid red berries but much smaller clusters of smaller berries with a pinkish color. The birds & squirrels love them.

Maybe?

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/sorbus-hupehensis-pink-pagoda-tree-p594

17 minutes ago, Martin L said:

The clusters of berries on mine are paler & smaller. A cluster is about the size roughly as the palm of your hand. And the description above says the leaves turn a vivid red in autumn. Mine yellow, but not bright & vivid, just a dull yellowish. Thanks for trying. 
When I googled green ash, it mentions the seeds being similar to the wings maple trees produce. I don’t find any of the ashes with the tiny berries mine make, which are about double the size of a BB. I just went down the rabbit hole again & spent 30 minutes searching with no satisfaction.

Added…a tree in the US.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The clusters of berries on mine are paler & smaller. A cluster is about the size roughly as the palm of your hand. And the description above says the leaves turn a vivid red in autumn. Mine yellow, but not bright & vivid, just a dull yellowish. Thanks for trying. 
When I googled green ash, it mentions the seeds being similar to the wings maple trees produce. I don’t find any of the ashes with the tiny berries mine make, which are about double the size of a BB. I just went down the rabbit hole again & spent 30 minutes searching with no satisfaction.

Added…a tree in the US.

Have you tried Google Lens?

wim

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No. Haven’t. I need a picture, right?

No you need your phone. You can do it with a picture as well if you already have one.

Start Google Lens. If you have an iPhone, you have to download the app first. On an Android phone, just start it.

(Lots of youtube videos available. This one -four years ago- but still ok.)

Point your phone at the tree and press the button.

wim

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

No you need your phone. You can do it with a picture as well if you already have one.

Start Google Lens. If you have an iPhone, you have to download the app first. On an Android phone, just start it.

(Lots of youtube videos available. This one -four years ago- but still ok.)

Point your phone at the tree and press the button.

wim

I will do that whenever it stops raining. wim, as usual, you’re a peach.

I really, really need a new phone. I can't get Google Lens on my iPhone 6+. I just so dread learning anything new. There are courses at an Apple store within walking distance and I have the money so no excuses. I need to jump in. Sigh.

Paulette

In Google Lens (Brazil) it is a pecan tree (pecan nut) also called pecan tree or American walnut, whose scientific name is Carya illinoinensis is a tree native to Northern Mexico, which produces about half of the world's total, and Southern United States in the Mississippi River region. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Carya illinoinensis
Top Rank: Carya
Class: Magnoliopsida
Species: C. illinoinensis
Family: Juglandaceae
Order: Fagales
This nature is quite complicated.

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I really, really need a new phone. I can't get Google Lens on my iPhone 6+. I just so dread learning anything new. There are courses at an Apple store within walking distance and I have the money so no excuses. I need to jump in. Sigh.

Paulette

Google Lens is supported on iPhone 5S and later models. Best is iOS 10 or later.

One Youtube video; a second Youtube video. (Sorry about the accents.)

17 Ways To Use Google Lens by one of the interns. (youtube 2021)

wim

25 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Google Lens is supported on iPhone 5S and later models. Best is iOS 10 or later.

One Youtube video; a second Youtube video. (Sorry about the accents.)

17 Ways To Use Google Lens by one of the interns. (youtube 2021)

wim

Thank you, Wim. The first video was very easy... accent not a problem because he was speaking with great clarity. Unfortunately, I need IOS 15 and my phone won't go there. I am up-to-date at 12.5.7. I know the camera on the new phones is way better than what I have so probably good to move along. I'm just dragging my feet.

Paulette