Can any dog lovers identify these breeds please?

VbFolly

20 hours ago, MDM said:

Irish wolfhound - maybe not purebred but a lot of wolfhound I would guess - looks a bit small for an adult wolfhound.

I'd say Irish Wolfhound puppy.   They grow for three years if I'm remembering correctly.  Not fully mature until 2 at least.   Also, puppies tend to look at strangers more affectionately than adults of any sight hound breed.  Border collie for the other one works as Border Collies in genuinely sheep raising areas are not bred for looks but for sheep herding ability. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I'd say Irish Wolfhound puppy.   They grow for three years if I'm remembering correctly.  Not fully mature until 2 at least.   Also, puppies tend to look at strangers more affectionately than adults of any sight hound breed.  Border collie for the other one works as Border Collies in genuinely sheep raising areas are not bred for looks but for sheep herding ability. 

I attend a few sheep herding trials and people who breed working border collies fought for a long time not to have the Border Collie added as a registered purebred dog.  Worried about breeding for looks instead of working ability.  Breeding form over function.  You see this quite often in Quarter Horses. It has become popular to breed them with small feet because it looks prettier and more streamlined.  Quarter Horses are bulky and can weight over 1200 lbs, even though they aren't super tall.  Two of the worst hoof diseases have become rampant in Quarter Horses - Navicular disease and founder.  We destroy because we want it prettier.

Jill

47 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Thanks, Rebecca. Yes, I think the Irish Wolfhound is not fully grown, so I will add puppy to the keywords.

3 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Thanks, Rebecca. Yes, I think the Irish Wolfhound is not fully grown, so I will add puppy to the keywords.

Shaggy dog?

Allan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I attend a few sheep herding trials and people who breed working border collies fought for a long time not to have the Border Collie added as a registered purebred dog.  Worried about breeding for looks instead of working ability.  Breeding form over function.  You see this quite often in Quarter Horses. It has become popular to breed them with small feet because it looks prettier and more streamlined.  Quarter Horses are bulky and can weight over 1200 lbs, even though they aren't super tall.  Two of the worst hoof diseases have become rampant in Quarter Horses - Navicular disease and founder.  We destroy because we want it prettier.

Jill

Friend talked about the mess one could find in Arab horse strains that became fashionable, too.  She knew of a halter champion who was actually lame.

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That big Irish hound stretches the concept of the term puppy. 

Grown males  reach almost three feet at the shoulder with all feet on the ground, weigh up to 180 lbs.  The puppy seems to be under that.  I've interacted with adult Irish Wolfhounds at dog shows.   They're impressive animals.  Someone in the dog show world told me about someone's Irish Wolfhound getting loose, going after a deer and they could never find him again.  They are not quite as bad as some sight hounds (Salukis) where the main use they have for humans is taking them out to hunt.  Whippets seem to be the most affable in the more usual dog ways.  Afghans close, but still running beasties.  Because IWs were a reconstructed breed for show rather than actual going after wolves, they were selected to be quite gentle since a dog that size who wasn't would be very dangerous.   Last wolf in Ireland was 1786.  Wikipedia has a good article on the Irish Wolfhound, as in real information based on archeology and DNA studies and stuff, not the romance that the current dog is a direct descendent of Irish war dogs.

On 05/10/2023 at 18:09, Rebecca Ore said:

Grown males  reach almost three feet at the shoulder with all feet on the ground, weigh up to 180 lbs.  The puppy seems to be under that.  I've interacted with adult Irish Wolfhounds at dog shows.   They're impressive animals.  Someone in the dog show world told me about someone's Irish Wolfhound getting loose, going after a deer and they could never find him again.  They are not quite as bad as some sight hounds (Salukis) where the main use they have for humans is taking them out to hunt.  Whippets seem to be the most affable in the more usual dog ways.  Afghans close, but still running beasties.  Because IWs were a reconstructed breed for show rather than actual going after wolves, they were selected to be quite gentle since a dog that size who wasn't would be very dangerous.   Last wolf in Ireland was 1786.  Wikipedia has a good article on the Irish Wolfhound, as in real information based on archeology and DNA studies and stuff, not the romance that the current dog is a direct descendent of Irish war dogs.

They certainly are impressive dogs.  I still remember the very diminutive Florence Nagle, owner of the famous Sulhamstead Wolfhounds, turning up at Championship shows in the 70's (she'd be in her late 70's at the time) and unloading 5 or 6 hounds, each of which were probably double her weight, from her horsebox before leading them to the benches and thence into the ring.  Docile and very good natured despite their size.

Whippets are very trainable - I've owned three and my parents bred and showed them - and a little less inclined to hare off after anything small and furry.  But don't rely on it.  The bigger sighthounds can either be totally disinterested in the chase - or, when they're not coursing each other - will take off after anything that looks like prey and then return at a time of their own choosing.

• Love 1