How Can We Save?

Ed Rooney

Question

We all need a basic functioning kit to capture stuff. But I will need to be more frugal to deal with inflation and live on my small fixed income. 

One thing I do is cut my own hair. I have less chance of getting Covid or flu by doing that too. It would be a better idea if I were not such a terrible barber. Should we eat less, drink less, and smoke less? I never smoked, and I don't eat dinner now. Drink less than I drink? Don't get too close to me and say that. A doctor I had in NYC suggested I stop drinking alcohol altogether. I made the appropriate change. I found a new doctor.

• Love 2
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Frugality...

Due to the cost of living, inflation and such like, I had to let the Butler go.

Very sad. I shall miss Morrison.

He was very organised, a place for everything and everything in it's place. Very neat.

Wish I'd asked him where he kept the silver before he went.

Damned if I can find it.

G'night.

Too right, we too have to go miles to find a Morrison.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

He was very organised, a place for everything and everything in it's place. Very neat.

Damned if I can find it.

This is a calumny, sir. Expect to hear from my lawyer...

• Love 2

13 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Frugality...

Damned if I can find it.

G'night.

For God's sake, Hugh -- I wasn't suggesting that you entirely disrupt your life. What's left? The cook? The chauffeur? The gardeners? 

I was thinking more along the lines of lessening your monthly order of Chateau Lafite Rothchild. Maybe not insist on the 1948.

I've decided not to buy a puffy coat in each of the basic colors. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

For God's sake, Hugh -- I wasn't suggesting that you entirely disrupt your life. What's left? The cook? The chauffeur? The gardeners? 

I was thinking more along the lines of lessening your monthly order of Chateau Lafite Rothchild. Maybe not insist on the 1948.

I've decided not to buy a puffy coat in each of the basic colors. 

🤣🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've heard about those. Doesn't sound good. Fact of the matter is that Toyota's just keep on going, so I'll most likely remain a fossil-fuel junkie.

My son bought himself the Mustang Mach E last year.  Had to wait almost a year for delivery.  When I was out in Calgary in the spring, I took the Mustang to the mountains.  I have to say, it was one cool car to drive.  Especially the hands free driving.  Took a bit to take the hands off of the wheel.  Has sensors so you can't get too close to the vehicles in front and beside you. If I were a big driver, I would think electric, but when you work from home, you don't mount up a lot of miles on the car except when I go to town to shop.  The savings in vehicle maintenance and fuel wouldn't cover the high cost of the electric car (at leash my son's Mustang).  I would think of you were someone who drove a lot, the savings would mount up quickly.

Jill

14 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Frugality...

Damned if I can find it.

G'night.

🤣

Allan

• Thanks 1

I have resumed trading in antiques to make ends meet. My bedsit looks like a bizarre antiques auction house with a special line of thousands of old slides. As a 'genius3' member (what other travel sites might call gold) I could list my bedsit on booking.com as an unusual small apartment in Ardwick, where Manchester City Football Club started, handy for Manchester city centre, local football and music events, like Parklife, with 70,000 attendees. When all the major events happen at the same time a modest hotel room in the city here can be £400 plus pn. Our hive mind on Alamy is clearly a global expert in making ends meet. I have a question: what is the optimum number of times to cut up tubes of toothpaste to maximise the output whilst not using too much energy and avoiding cutting ones' fingers off. One for AI perhaps. 

• Like 2

I haven't added to this thread since I am no good at being thrifty.  I am learning a lot about saving from you guys.  I make enough money to afford a pretty decent lifestyle and I do have money and investments stashed away for later.  I do enjoy eating out, got that from my dad.... he was on a first name basis with many fine restaurants.  They areas where I tend to save is I couldn't care less about clothes; I only replace items when something is really worn out and I don't buy fancy label clothing.  And I don't drink alcohol but maybe a few times a year, socially.  I have a couple of TV streaming subscriptions but probably don't watch enough to really make those worthwhile.