Photoshop 2024 / incompatible graphics processor solution

Just off phone with Adobe tech support 800-833-6687;
for months I'm getting "incompatible graphics processor" message;
I have graphics processor = Intel HD Graphics 520;
they said replace with upgraded graphics processor;
or I can continue with old, most functions will work, but
some advanced functions won't;  I can verify that's true...
what functions besides newish denoise am I losing...?

my question: has anyone upgraded their graphics processor
or did you instead get upgraded computer? (IMC laptop)
why?  thanks in advance, regards jg

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I recently up graded my graphics card to a much better card, I think it was around $150 and installed it myself, not hard to do.  All functions work on Adobe CC.

Is that a desktop or laptop? 

As a matter of interest, can you indicate how long does it take for a Denoise in ACR with a D850 file or similar 45MP image?

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

Is that a desktop or laptop? 

As a matter of interest, can you indicate how long does it take for a Denoise in ACR with a D850 file or similar 45MP image?

A desktop PC, not Mac.  I haven't used the Denoise in ACR yet.  My last card was 7 years old.

17 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

A desktop PC, not Mac.  I haven't used the Denoise in ACR yet.  My last card was 7 years old.

OK I think the fact it's a desktop is probably very significant. It may not even be possible to upgrade the graphics on Jeff's laptop.

My advice to Jeff for what it's worth would be to replace rather than upgrade if he wants to keep up with the software technology. Denoise is well worth a look. In fact it is a huge advance, particularly in shooting at highish ISOs. I have tended to be sceptical about the various AI-related software innovations but this does really work. However, it is demanding.

thanks for responses;
I think new laptop Dec 2023 (tax deductible) in order:
previous thread gave laptop buying advice
but now coming at it from different angle since
Photoshop is my primary laptop activity...
what are highest end graphics processors available?
any other factors to get fastest processing...?
would really like to stay with Lenovo since in a
decade of Lenovos, no breakdowns...
I'll call Lenovo asking for processors mentioned here !!
if Sony'd offer RX10 V -- that'd be end of year double-play !!
thanks in advance 👍🏼__ 👍🏼__ 👍🏼

38 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
thanks for responses;
I think new laptop Dec 2023 (tax deductible) in order:
previous thread gave laptop buying advice
but now coming at it from different angle since
Photoshop is my primary laptop activity...
what are highest end graphics processors available?
any other factors to get fastest processing...?
would really like to stay with Lenovo since in a
decade of Lenovos, no breakdowns...
I'll call Lenovo asking for processors mentioned here !!
if Sony'd offer RX10 V -- that'd be end of year double-play !!
thanks in advance 👍🏼__ 👍🏼__ 👍🏼

Look for a gaming laptop.  That should have some good graphics processing power.

Jill

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I can't advise directly about Windows laptops as I've been entirely Mac for many years but I would offer the following generic advice when buying a new computer for Photoshop use. Always go for something with double the recommended minimum specs in terms of graphics (GPU) memory and RAM if you want to future proof it and especially if it can't be upgraded easily or at all. When I say recommended I do not mean the minimum specs that will work as this will always be lower and will become outdated sooner than later. The current recommended specs on the Adobe website for Windows machine are 4GB GPU memory and 16GB RAM. Therefore I would buy a machine with a minimum of 8GB GPU memory and 32GB of RAM if I was looking for something seriously future proof. That would probably be expensive. A quick glance at the Lenovo site shows no laptops with more than 4GB graphics memory.

You don't need a top end graphics card, as these are for video and gaming and these will be primarily for desktop machines. A top end one would probably set you back more than you are envisaging spending on the laptop. But you do need one with sufficient memory. 

Edited by MDM

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Just off phone with Adobe tech support 800-833-6687;
for months I'm getting "incompatible graphics processor" message;
I have graphics processor = Intel HD Graphics 520;
they said replace with upgraded graphics processor;
or I can continue with old, most functions will work, but
some advanced functions won't;  I can verify that's true...
what functions besides newish denoise am I losing...?

my question: has anyone upgraded their graphics processor
or did you instead get upgraded computer? (IMC laptop)
why?  thanks in advance, regards jg

Yes I have upgraded Graphics Cards on two desktops over the years.  Both times at the suggestion of Adobe and both times with Nvidia cards they recommended

I have never bothered to upgrade one on a laptop.  The last time I went to the shop that works on my equipment (not the same one as the one that worked on

Hunter Binden's) the tech said, why bother spending any money on upgrading a laptop, just buy a new one, I did it anyway and now wish I had

followed his advice.

Chuck

I just replaced my fairly high end desktop Windows PC with a Mac Studio (Apple M2 Max processor). What a speed difference with Photoshop and Lightroom, and no need to worry if the computer graphics hardware is compatible anymore. The Adobe Mac software targets the Apple silicon directly.

1 hour ago, MB Photography said:

I just replaced my fairly high end desktop Windows PC with a Mac Studio (Apple M2 Max processor). What a speed difference with Photoshop and Lightroom, and no need to worry if the computer graphics hardware is compatible anymore. The Adobe Mac software targets the Apple silicon directly.

Yes. One great thing with Macs is it is possible to tell just from a quick glance at the Apple Store what will work well and how much it will cost. The unified memory architecture makes it very easy. And the laptops (MacBook Pros and Airs) are incredibly powerful. 

Unfortunately Jeff is highly Mac-resistant as is evident in the Denoise thread. Otherwise I would have suggested a 24GB 15" M2 MacBook Air for around $2,000 that should be very fast and future proofed for several years. 

Edited by MDM

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

Yes. One great thing with Macs is it is possible to tell just from a quick glance at the Apple Store what will work well and how much it will cost. The unified memory architecture makes it very easy. And the laptops (MacBook Pros and Airs) are incredibly powerful. 

Unfortunately Jeff is highly Mac-resistant as is evident in the Denoise thread. Otherwise I would have suggested a 24GB 15" M2 MacBook Air for around $2,000 that should be very fast and future proofed for several years. 

Once you go Mac you never go back....

23 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Very true.

Went Mac 2013 and still with them. wish I had gone Mac sooner.

Allan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Yes, my experience with the Mac has been good so far. The new Sonoma MacOS is now available, but haven’t installed it yet. Hope it fixes a few SMB network issues I had with my WD NAS.

I have stayed with my two ASUS Pro Art displays which work fine through the Thunderbolt - DisplayPort interface. No issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

I went from Mac to Windows in 1997 for several years. I didn't really go back as I had been a Mac user from the time I started using computers. At the time, Windows machines were a lot faster than Macs and they were just emerging from the dark ages of MSDOS with Win97. It wasn't about photography though. I needed MS Access for my work at the time and running two different platforms was not feasible. I went back to Mac in early 2009 after Apple had gone Intel, which made the path back a lot easier, as I could still run Access natively. After a year or so I stopped using Windows completely and yes I would never go back. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MDM said:

Apple had gone Intel

Apple has moved away to its own silicon (designed by ARM). I use Canons DPP software which is intel only, but the installation installs something called ‘Rosetta 2’ (Apple software) which translates the Intel instruction set into the Apple Silicon instruction set. Works fine.

Not quite Ancient Greek to Egyptian Hieroglyphics.  

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Jeff is new-learning-curve resistant.
Jeff went to MAC gathering of geeks ?1998? pursing knowledge pre-first computer.

Everyone talked way over Jeff's head -- Jeff learned nothing NOTHING.
24GB refers to graphics processor?
Someone previously advised no lower than 8GB graphics processor.
Does anyone offer laptops with 24GB or at least greater than 8GB?
Am willing to spend $3K+

Just now, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Jeff is new-learning-curve resistant.
Jeff went to MAC gathering of geeks ?1998? pursing knowledge pre-first computer.

Everyone talked way over Jeff's head -- Jeff learned nothing NOTHING.
24GB refers to graphics processor?
Someone previously advised no lower than 8GB graphics processor.
Does anyone offer laptops with 24GB or at least greater than 8GB?
Am willing to spend $3K+

I couldn't see any when I had a brief glance at a few PC maker sites. Others may be able to advise but the likely answer you will get is that you don't need so much graphics power.  That may be true now but give it a few years and you may be back in the same situation. 

Really you would get yourself a very powerful MacBook Pro for that sort of price and learning how to use MacOS is not at all difficult in comparison to Windows. Apple make it very easy as they always have. Learning new stuff is good for the brain. I know a lot of video guys, where real power is needed, who have moved from PC to Mac laptops in the last few years since Apple introduced the new silicon Macs. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MB Photography said:

Apple has moved away to its own silicon (designed by ARM). I use Canons DPP software which is intel only, but the installation installs something called ‘Rosetta 2’ (Apple software) which translates the Intel instruction set into the Apple Silicon instruction set. Works fine.

Not quite Ancient Greek to Egyptian Hieroglyphics.  

Rosetta will slow things down, possibly a lot so the fact that you are seeing big speed changes speaks for itself. Most Mac software is universal by now - runs natively on Intel and Silicon Macs. 

Sometime, I assume after the last Mac OS upgrade, I cannot open an image from ACR into Photoshop. It is a known problem that Adobe doesn’t seem to have an answer for. I've read a few boards touting fixes that users say don’t work.

If I do adjustments in LR then open into Photoshop, it works. But there are times when I’ve missed developing an image in LR. When I spot it in Bridge, I want to be able to just develop it in ACR/PS & can’t  do it. I do all the adjustments in ACR, then the image just goes back to the thumbnail when I click “Open”.

Its a pain to me to make everything dependent on LR in order to get to Photoshop.

I’ve been all through my settings in Bridge, ACR & PS but can’t seem to find anything that’s causing it unless, as obtuse as I am, I’m missing something. I never saw a setting, for instance, in ACR that says, “Open into PS 2023”.

Edited by Betty LaRue

40 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It is a known problem that Adobe doesn’t seem to have an answer for.

Betty its me.

Give Adobe tech support 800-833-6687 a try.

They helped me.
Even sent follow-up material on subject.

Don't be put off if heavy accent -- listen closely...

Veritable bin of knowledge they are, its indisputable...

Betty, Have you recently updated to PS 2024 from 2023? If so maybe the file associations have not updated. 

Try this.

Using Finder, navigate to one of the files that won't open in PS.

Right click on the file, and select "Get Info"

In the pop up window check what the "Open with" box says. It should say Adobe Photoshop 2024.app (default)

If it doesn't, open the drop down "Open with" menu and select PS 2024 from the dropdown list

Then click Change All...

You'll need to check this for any image file type eg. jpg, tiff, png, nef, cr2 that fails to open.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Betty's problem dates back to November 2022. It never went anywhere because she was very ill.

It's mysterious but first thing would be to do as Mark says.

My question would be, as in the previous thread, is it just happening when opening a file from Bridge into ACR or is it also happening when opening a file from the Finder.  I wonder if there is a mixup with more than one copy of Photoshop installed. This is easy to check by going into the Applications folder.

What happens if you hold down the Option Key in ACR and click. Normally this allows you to open a copy and the open button changes accordingly? Does the file open into Photoshop?

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Betty, Have you recently updated to PS 2024 from 2023? If so maybe the file associations have not updated. 

Try this.

Using Finder, navigate to one of the files that won't open in PS.

Right click on the file, and select "Get Info"

In the pop up window check what the the "Open with" box says. It should say Adobe Photoshop 2024.app (default)

If it doesn't, open the drop down "Open with" menu and select PS 2024 from the dropdown list

Then click Change All...

You'll need to check this for any image file type eg. jpg, tiff, png, nef, cr2 that fails to open.

Mark

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Betty's problem dates back to November 2022. It never went anywhere because she was very ill.

It's mysterious but first thing would be to do as Mark says.

My question would be, as in the previous thread, is it just happening when opening a file from Bridge into ACR or is it also happening when opening a file from the Finder.  I wonder if there is a mixup with more than one copy of Photoshop installed. This is easy to check by going into the Applications folder.

What happens if you hold down the Option Key in ACR and click. Normally this allows you to open a copy and the open button changes accordingly? Does the file open into Photoshop?

I will do what you said, Mark. Thank you so much for the direction. And Michael, you have a mind like a steel trap. I didn’t even remember how long I’ve been stymied by this.
I have never opened from the finder. It’s always been from clicking the file in Bridge which opens it in ACR. Then trying to open in PS from ACR it goes back to the Bridge thumbnails.

I’m too tired to try anything this evening. I was up at dark:thirty to be at the hospital for my daughter’s surgery. Then figured out how to put together a chair I ordered that came in pieces in a box. My new chair for my art desk. I managed it except I can’t figure out how to mount the casters.

If I have more than one copy of Photoshop, should I delete the older ones? I’ve always been a bit afraid to do that.