help me find this usage

tried Google search, Google photo search, no luck;
would like to include this publishing in me FB page;
I've had several placed by PAlamy at this publisher;
this specific placing by another one -- don't mention
per forum rules please...  👍___ 👍___ 👍

National Geographic
2022 Oct 25 - 2024 Oct 24. Publishing: Print & Online. World. Editorial - website(s);Editorial - social media platforms;Editorial - Re-Display Rights: In-Context Syndication;Editorial - Re-Display Rights: In-Context Promotional Use;Editorial - print publication(s) (cover use for RF/NSEA only);Editorial - mobile/tablet apps;Editorial - Film/TV programs;Editorial - digital distribution platforms. Editorial web, social media, incontext syndication, incontext promo. Print & Digital. One use per download. In perpetuity, within the context of the original use.; 

image on PAlamy:
thanks in advance !!
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

thanks for attempt !!
credit could be Jeff or Jeffrey...

although Maine-lobster-boy are prominent in photo

don't know what image is illustrating...

PS. went to their website -- like you said, saw this:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/lobsters-likely-feel-pain-should-we-get-them-high-before-eating-them

but can't get beyond lead image as I haven't subscription...

9 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

thanks for attempt !!
credit could be Jeff or Jeffrey...

although Maine-lobster-boy are prominent in photo

don't know what image is illustrating...

PS. went to their website -- like you said, saw this:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/lobsters-likely-feel-pain-should-we-get-them-high-before-eating-them

but can't get beyond lead image as I haven't subscription...

I have a subscription but your photo isn't there.

Paulette

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

I have a subscription but your photo isn't there.

Thanks Betty.
And thanks Paulette for looking.
You're a treasure !!

Usage description implies it was
published ~11 mos ago?:
"2022 Oct 25 - 2024 Oct 24"
so idea it has yet to be published unlikely...?
I dare not call NatGeo & ask as that would
create busywork & risk banning me in future, no...?

It's not in the main NG Magazines 2022-2023 so far. Have not seen Oct 2023 yet.

I've checked the interactive issues. Whatever interactive means, it seems to be the US edition.

My best guess for your lobster image is NG Traveller or NG Kids. There's also Traveller Food btw.

Those use Alamy quite a lot. The main magazine uses only a handful each year.

There are different editions in different countries: France; UK; Australia and India are the ones I'm aware off. But there may be more.

wim

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

It's not in the main NG Magazines 2022-2023 so far. Have not seen Oct 2023 yet.

I've checked the interactive issues. Whatever interactive means, it seems to be the US edition.

My best guess for your lobster image is NG Traveller or NG Kids. There's also Traveller Food btw.

Those use Alamy quite a lot. The main magazine uses only a handful each year.

There are different editions in different countries: France; UK; Australia and India are the ones I'm aware off. But there may be more.

wim

There's one for Latin America (or LA and Spain).   I've bought the print versions here in the past.  Don't know if they have a website.   Unlikely that much in the way of Maine lobsters make it here.  The tropical lobster doesn't have the claws.  If there is a Spanish language on line edition, perhaps "our lobsters are this; the North American lobster looks like this."

34 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

There's one for Latin America (or LA and Spain).   I've bought the print versions here in the past.  Don't know if they have a website.   Unlikely that much in the way of Maine lobsters make it here.  The tropical lobster doesn't have the claws.  If there is a Spanish language on line edition, perhaps "our lobsters are this; the North American lobster looks like this."

Haha! The NatGeo Traveller Magazines are all about what the rest of the world looks like and what great time you can have there. This may include a great time for the whole family, which could well include an image like this.

Stock images are rarely used in the main magazine. Sometimes a cutout or a cropped thumbnail on the Contents page or a page they call Travel Radar. In the current September 2023 US edition there are two: a cutout of two giraffes on the Contents page credited Roland Pargeter/Alamy and a cutout of a Rhino on the Radar page credited LYU TIANRAN, XINHUA/ALAMY LIVE NEWS. Btw NatGeo does the cutting out: they either don't like what the filter on Alamy brings up, or they haven't found it.

The NatGeo Kids magazines I have seen tend to focus more on the own continent like the Australia one. Lots and lots of agency images, albeit tiny in these ones.

Food again is about nice experiences all over the globe.

The only one of mine I have found is a half page image in the US edition of NatGeo Traveller in 2019/2020.

wim

2 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Nice bragging rights to say you've got a snap in National Geographic, even if only online.

Not that any ones asking, two actually.🙃

Haha! It was the NatGeo Traveller, that's absolutely not the real thing. I wish!

They do use lots of Alamy images. Plus I have reported bragged about it here before. They paid a decent low $$$ fee btw. Not sure if it appeared in other print editions.

The image wasn't that much to brag about either. It's nice enough (I would not have uploaded it otherwise), but nowhere near the other one taken that same day. Which has been licensed 6 times against the mere 2 times including that one in the Traveller for the other one.

I did not have to search for that, because the Google Alert duly reported it.

I have a Google Alert for Wiskerke Alamy and I would advise any contributor to have a couple of Alerts with his/her name or pseudo plus Alamy. (Make sure you set the language to Any Language, not just English.) Bing offers a similar service.

A search for Jeff's images would look something like this.

If you want to search for your own images, just swap greenberg for your own pseudo or name.

wim

Can I brag too? I had one image published in NatGeo. Looks like it's NatGeo UK.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/environment-and-conservation/2022/10/australia-hands-control-of-its-newest-national-parks-to-indigenous-peoples

Also several in Australian Geographic, mostly insects and wildlife.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Can I jump on the Brag Train??!!  While I have never been in the main yellow border magazine.  I have had many pics used in various books and or Nat Geo pubs, a couple with my kids in them!  I also have shot some assignments for Nat Geo Traveler, back when they were a print publication, now just online.  Those assignments did not have me traveling, unfortunately, but were more of the nuts and bolts of travel.  One was of the then head of the Federal Aviation Administration and another on particular airline's cool flight attendant uniforms. It was pre 9-11 and was able to do the shoot outside under the wing of a parked passenger jet...that was lots of fun.  Oh, I miss those days...my shoots now are much more mundane.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Can I jump on the Brag Train??!!  While I have never been in the main yellow border magazine.  I have had many pics used in various books and or Nat Geo pubs, a couple with my kids in them!  I also have shot some assignments for Nat Geo Traveler, back when they were a print publication, now just online.  Those assignments did not have me traveling, unfortunately, but were more of the nuts and bolts of travel.  One was of the then head of the Federal Aviation Administration and another on particular airline's cool flight attendant uniforms. It was pre 9-11 and was able to do the shoot outside under the wing of a parked passenger jet...that was lots of fun.  Oh, I miss those days...my shoots now are much more mundane.

This sounds like a new topic!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Haha! The NatGeo Traveller Magazines are all about what the rest of the world looks like and what great time you can have there. This may include a great time for the whole family, which could well include an image like this.

Stock images are rarely used in the main magazine. Sometimes a cutout or a cropped thumbnail on the Contents page or a page they call Travel Radar. In the current September 2023 US edition there are two: a cutout of two giraffes on the Contents page credited Roland Pargeter/Alamy and a cutout of a Rhino on the Radar page credited LYU TIANRAN, XINHUA/ALAMY LIVE NEWS. Btw NatGeo does the cutting out: they either don't like what the filter on Alamy brings up, or they haven't found it.

The NatGeo Kids magazines I have seen tend to focus more on the own continent like the Australia one. Lots and lots of agency images, albeit tiny in these ones.

Food again is about nice experiences all over the globe.

The only one of mine I have found is a half page image in the US edition of NatGeo Traveller in 2019/2020.

wim

This isn't a travel magazine particularly.   A lot of it is Latin heritage starting with the Romans, even, in Spanish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

This isn't a travel magazine particularly.   A lot of it is Latin heritage starting with the Romans, even, in Spanish. 

Is it the NatGeo History Magazine? There is one in English.

wim

I tried some searches on Google using:

greenberg site:nationalgeographic.co.uk

greenberg site:nationalgeographic.com

And found some by Jeff. Not all via Alamy.

And because Alamy not always mentions the name or pseudo, but just credits Alamy, I also tried:

alamy site:nationalgeographic.co.uk

alamy site:nationalgeographic.com

No lobster to be found, which if it's indeed an image that was published in 2022 is not that strange. Two more of mine came up this way, one from June 2022 and one from July 2021.

To check if all images were shown I did a search for wiskerke site:nationalgeographic.com and clicked on an image of Amsterdam that was not mine, and there was not only no other image by me, but also on that whole page no mentioning of my name. Huh? But then I clicked on an image of the Everglades also not by me, and there was my image further down. (Reported here long ago: the article was from 2015.) So if you do recognize a destination or a subject it pays to click on it and scroll down.

Then I browsed through as many digital editions of the various magazines I could lay my hands on. 77 in total. And found no lobster so far. Maine, yes and also some lobsters plus the odd crayfish, but the one by Jeff remains missing.

Again I did find one of myself: a thumbnail sized image of a Christmas Market on the bottom of a page of the January 2023 edition of National Geographic Traveller UK. This time I had never seen it before. It was just credited Alamy.

Then it dawned on me that I had been searching for Traveller while only the UK and Australian one are spelled with double L:

National Geographic Traveler is a magazine published by NG Media in Armenia, Belgium, the Netherlands, China, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Latin America, Israel, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain and the UK. The US edition was published from 1984 to 2019.

And I went through 11 more.

And in the very last one, a Polish edition of Traveler from March 2018, that I added because of the cover that featured an image of Amsterdam, all of a sudden there was this nice dps of one of mine.

Had it ever been reported in 2018? Yes mid $$ and distributor, which was why it hadn't turned up for Alamy and I hadn't searched for wiskerke.

One can get down the rabbit hole like on every page you land, as in a regular library. So searches like this take ages. But because of those rabbit holes are heaps of fun!

And that last one made my day. Uhh night.

wim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Haha! It was the NatGeo Traveller, that's absolutely not the real thing. I wish!

They do use lots of Alamy images. Plus I have reported bragged about it here before. They paid a decent low $$$ fee btw. Not sure if it appeared in other print editions.

The image wasn't that much to brag about either. It's nice enough (I would not have uploaded it otherwise), but nowhere near the other one taken that same day. Which has been licensed 6 times against the mere 2 times including that one in the Traveller for the other one.

I did not have to search for that, because the Google Alert duly reported it.

I have a Google Alert for Wiskerke Alamy and I would advise any contributor to have a couple of Alerts with his/her name or pseudo plus Alamy. (Make sure you set the language to Any Language, not just English.) Bing offers a similar service.

If you want to search for your own images, just swap greenberg for your own pseudo or name.

wim

Great pics, very atmospheric,  Breugel meets Lowry? (meets Wim!)

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

WimW

Thanks for tremendous advice !!
I do have saved 24 hr searches for
my name + Alamy
my name + other place

but your advanced version of Alamy search
works better & made catch mine didn't (1st image upper left NYT Bogota Colombia)
...so am using it going forward !!  regards jg, I owe you ~10 cups Cafe Cubano by now !!!

1 minute ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
WimW

Thanks for tremendous advice !!
I do have saved 24 hr searches for
my name + Alamy
my name + other place

but your advanced version of Alamy search
works better & made catch mine didn't (1st image upper left NYT Bogota Colombia)

regards jg

Good image.

I actually seem to have an unpayed use from the NYT 1 year ago. We have a subscription, but even so it can be a total coincidence when you notice one of your own.

Anyway trust is good but control is better.

wim