general appearance of my latest page 1 images?

(yes, done this before but not for couple years)
requesting comments on general appearance of my page 1 images:
because computer monitor settings, including those of buyers, vary;

color cast for several images is too _____?  or generally OK?
exposure is too _____? or OK?
contrast is too _____? or OK?
shadow detail is too _____? or OK?
vibrancy-saturation is too _____? or OK?
opinions as to appearance factors that inhibit licensing appreciated...
(I already know tagging is compromised)
regards jg 😺__ 😺__ 😺

Some are a bit lighter than I would go and I would have pulled down highlights on some of the higher key images. (HP all-in-one, contrast/brightness using the built-in tools but not calibrated).

Just in case it's me, you could have a look at my first page. You may just have a lighter editorial style. If they're selling, probably best to ignore me.

Edited by spacecadet

Hey Jeffrey,

Kudos asking for a critique after doing this for so many years. I have a reputation on here, so let's see how it goes...

Ok, haven't looked at keywords and captions. But images look fine. Not keen on waitresses and shop assistants smiling at the camera, but one of those is my highest selling images, so go figure. Maybe take them more in a natural setting doing their job as well as posing. Great images in any case.

Steve

Processing looks fine to me, checked on calibrated iMac and uncalibrated iPad, both with retina screens.

One image, 2RC06X3, I'd have rotated slightly CCW to make the waterline more level

Sandy Springs Atlanta Georgia,Island Ford Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area,man fishing pier Stock Photo

I wouldn't have uploaded 2RC06A3 due to prominent blurred head in foreground which IMO makes it less saleable, but you'll know lots more about saleability than I do.2RC06A3RC06A3

Roswell Atlanta Georgia,Canton Street,restaurants dine dining eating out,casual cafe bistro food,business,man male Stock Photo

Mark

53 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Some of them yes, particularly the shadows.

Thanks, although I did calibrate somewhile ago it seems my gamma and brightness have gone a bit high and with this all-in-one as my main monitor I have limited control over them, and apparently can't adjust contrast at all.

I'll see what I can do. Maybe a shadow lift preset.

Edited by spacecadet

27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks, although I did calibrate somewhile ago it seems my gamma and brightness have gone a bit high and with this all-in-one as my main monitor I have limited control over them, and apparently can't adjust contrast at all.

I'll see what I can do. Maybe a shadow lift preset.

No problem. Can let you know which images if you like, but maybe better in another thread. Not sure I'd want to arbitrarily change the exposure etc. if I couldn't see it with my monitor...

8 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

One image, 2RC06X3, I'd have rotated slightly CCW to make the waterline more level

Thanks all for additional responses.

As to rotating water line, that would be via
Filter > Lens Correction > Custom > Angle
& would crop some of image...?
Is there way to do it without cropping?
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

49 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Thanks all for additional responses.

As to rotating water line, that would be via
Filter > Lens Correction > Custom > Angle
& would crop some of image...?
Is there way to do it without cropping?

Yes.

Method 1: Skew and/or Warp.

Method 2: Crop Tool with Content-Aware box checked.

Method 3: the same as method 2, but with AI Fill. No perfect how-to yet, but here's some possibilities.

wim

Jeff, your images look great to me. I saw one where the highlights on a man’s tee shirt had blown highlights, a street scene looking at a bulletin.  A pull back on the whites often makes it better, also the highlight slider.

I used to fix those by making a layer…reduce overall exposure, take a brush, brush out correction except for the too light spots. LR & PS has added tools that do it quickly. Can’t remember the last time I used a layer considering a few years ago, I did it a lot.

That is only the slightest of nits on that photo. I like your overall brighter exposure probably because that’s how I like mine.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 15/07/2023 at 12:08, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
(yes, done this before but not for couple years)
requesting comments on general appearance of my page 1 images:
because computer monitor settings, including those of buyers, vary;

color cast for several images is too _____?  or generally OK?
exposure is too _____? or OK?
contrast is too _____? or OK?
shadow detail is too _____? or OK?
vibrancy-saturation is too _____? or OK?
opinions as to appearance factors that inhibit licensing appreciated...
(I already know tagging is compromised)
regards jg 😺__ 😺__ 😺

I'm using a DELL XPS with a just calibrated new BenQ SW240 and I would your images are to bright with blown out color.

Chuck

15 hours ago, spacecadet said:

So does everybody think mine are a bit dark then?

SC,

I would put your images on the opposite end of the scale from Jeff's.  I would say from what I saw some of your images could be a touch lighter?  I tend to go a bit darker than I should.    I do all of my prep work in 16bit aRGB before I drop it down to a JPEG for upload.  I have also found that there can be a slight different from my original 8bit aRGB JPEG and the way the image displays on the Alamy site?

Chuck

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 09:32, spacecadet said:

Some are a bit lighter than I would go and I would have pulled down highlights on some of the higher key images. (HP all-in-one, contrast/brightness using the built-in tools but not calibrated).

Just in case it's me, you could have a look at my first page. You may just have a lighter editorial style. If they're selling, probably best to ignore me.

I'm using an all-in-one as well, but I do calibrate it often. Mind you, I don't know how well calibration actually sticks with these cheap monitors. My plan is to buy a more photo-friendly monitor when this one gives up the ghost. I think you're probably correct about personal editorial style/taste. I too have to remind myself to open up shadows more, but not as much as Jeff likes to. I'm also drawn to warmer colours. Tough to say if these tendencies have negatively affected my sales.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I have also found that there can be a slight different from my original 8bit aRGB JPEG and the way the image displays on the Alamy site?

Yes. Alamy convert to sRGB and then remove the profile and compress to around level 8. This changes the appearance slighly and can also cause some "blockiness" in saturated colours. If an image (or image preview) downloaded from Alamy is opened on an AdobeRGB system, care maybe needed to make sure the image is rendered correctly.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

...highlights on a man’s tee shirt had blown highlights, a street scene looking at a bulletin.

oh Betty girl
you are SO right
in Adobe Camera RAW I set
Highlight slider to -90 for all images
& even -100, the limit, for some...
this one & a few others I could have
also selected part of the person & then
lowered Levels for JUST selection...
sometime when doing volume...
🙄 a few thing slip through