Battered Morris Minor 1000

Ed Rooney

Question

22 answers to this question

It's a Morris Minor 1000 Ed, made from 1956 - 1971 according to Wiki. If you had photographed the registration number that could have narrowed the date down to a particular year. You don't often see them in that state any more, they are easily restored, plenty of upgraded parts available, body panels etc. Originally prone to rust as you can see.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

For the next one, take the number plate and then enter it into this web site:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Up until 2021 there was a business in Bristol that would upgrade them with "modern" parts.  When I say modern, I mean from the 1980's. 😃😉

It's a smashing little car but as for safety features? Well it has bumpers* front and back!

*Fenders in 'merican.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to MicheleD's excellent pdf it must be 1963-71 because it has that funky big combined rear indicator and light unit. I had the Traveller 'woodie estate' version and somewhere I've got some rather splendid transparencies of me respraying it in the farmyard where I was living at the time. I must apply for that Archival Route permission!

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

For the next one, take the number plate and then enter it into this web site:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Up until 2021 there was a business in Bristol that would upgrade them with "modern" parts.  When I say modern, I mean from the 1980's. 😃😉

It's a smashing little car but as for safety features? Well it has bumpers* front and back!

*Fenders in 'merican.

I just tried to do it for one of the Minor 1000 images I have and after several unsuccessful attempts the website asked me to confirm if I was not a robot...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I just tried to do it for one of the Minor 1000 images I have and after several unsuccessful attempts the website asked me to confirm if I was not a robot...

Post the numbers and I'll have a look this evening. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Post the numbers and I'll have a look this evening. 

Thank you! I found where to put the number, but it was still not possible to be identified. The plate is "BZB 7II" where I'm not sure if "II" is "11" or "LL" or just "II". I tried all the options...

6 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Thank you! I found where to put the number, but it was still not possible to be identified. The plate is "BZB 7II" where I'm not sure if "II" is "11" or "LL" or just "II". I tried all the options...

Doesn't come up with anything for me either, this site suggests that it was originally registered in County Cork:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/zb.htm

(it will be 711)

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Google reads registration numbers as well now, here's the car:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/47937052828/in/pool-3238860@N25/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Doesn't come up with anything for me either, this site suggests that it was originally registered in County Cork:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/zb.htm

(it will be 711)

Thank you, Harry! The photo was taken in County Cork, but I thought owners were British tourists

23 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Google reads registration numbers as well now, here's the car:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/47937052828/in/pool-3238860@N25/

Great research skills, Harry! Thank you! So is it a British license plate or an Irish one for a vehicle bought in the UK and then registered in Ireland?

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

11 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

So is it a British license plate or an Irish one for a vehicle bought in the UK and then registered in Ireland?

You've got me there, the 2nd & 3rd letters of those old registration numbers (or just the 2 letters if there are only 2 with older vehicles) denote the region and the Republic of Ireland seems to be included in that scheme, so registered in County Cork I'd say. 

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm

• Thanks 1

owned one of those in me school days

1960 steering wheel on left, made for America

people called it a "Mutt and Jeff" car

it looked like it came from comic strip...

me dear old daddy bought it $300 ~1972

I sold it to lad learning mechanics $25 junk 1976...

"reflections of my life oh how they fill my eyes" 😲

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 2

As a child our family had the convertible version, the rear window seemed to be acetate and crack. As kids we called these Noddy cars after the T.V. Kid’s program. My Wife’s family when she was young had the woodie estate version. 

That one needs TLC and possibly more. But as it's more than 40 years old it legally requires neither VED (road tax) nor MoT (safety check) which it looks like it could use!😀

For the nerds, I see that as it's only just post-1963 it still has the pressing on the B-pillar for a trafficator. You'll need to look that up, Ed.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

That one needs TLC and possibly more. But as it's more than 40 years old it legally requires neither VED (road tax) nor MoT (safety check) which it looks like it could use!😀

For the nerds, I see that as it's only just post-1963 it still has the pressing on the B-pillar for a trafficator. You'll need to look that up, Ed.

The "pressing" might be someones fill in from an earlier version.

Allan

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

In need of nostalgia I looked it up: "semaphore traficator arm".

There's a chap on the internet refurbishing them. 🙂 You send him your broken one and he sends you a mended one. Just under a hundred quid, bargain!

🙂

Edited by Mr Standfast