Syndication by PA Media

I came across what looked like an infringement. The only licence I had seemed to show use by a UK National newspaper meaning that since the user was not a UK national newspaper it could be an infringement. 

Country: United Kingdom ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Newspaper - national ;  Print run: Unlimited ;  Insert: more than 25 ;  Placement: National ;  Start: 25-April-2022 ; Duration: In perpetuity ;

Additional Details: Use in syndicated editorial news features, single context only.

I have had this before when I saw an article in the Independent and then on another newspaper site ( a local newspaper). I assumed that it was the Indepenent doing the syndication but it looks as though I was wrong.

It looks as though this image was part of a package - article and images - that PA Media itself  is offering direct to customers. 

So PA Media, owner of Alamy, looks to be using our images for multiple syndication - including to commercial websites running their articles but reporting it to us as Newspaper Use.

Has anybody else come cross this? The reporting is at least misleading, possibly plain false. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The user/possible infringer is an estate agency. I now see that they have taken the package written by a PA Media journalist called Hannah Stephenson which includes a range of Alamy photos under the description:

" Undated handout: Picture Credit should read Alamy/PA, WARNING: This picture must only be used to accompany PA Feature........Name of Article Given"

Now I am curious what the estate agent paid PA Media for this, and the other 'more than 25 users' that the licence permits.

Would you like to know how much I was paid by PA Media/Alamy for this piece of business by Alamy my photo agency?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

Just to be clear. If I am right this is how PA Media/Alamy is valuing our images.

They have licensed it to themselves so that they can sell an editorial package for an unlimited number of times for perpetual use.

Rather than be straight and tell me what they are doing they report that it is a UK national newspaper that they have licensed the image to. And that is just not true. 

And then they throw 4p at me?? 

REALLY???

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Just to be clear. If I am right this is how PA Media/Alamy is valuing our images.

They have licensed it to themselves so that they can sell an editorial package for an unlimited number of times for perpetual use.

Rather than be straight and tell me what they are doing they report that it is a UK national newspaper that they have licensed the image to. And that is just not true. 

And then they throw 4p at me?? 

REALLY???

These low fees are beneath despicable!

Phil

6 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

These low fees are beneath despicable!

Phil

Yes, but even worse, this fee has been paid by PA Media/Alamy not by a newspaper - that is how Alamy are pricing our images, that's how they value them for their own commercial use.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 2

I0000l400Y2nfC7o.jpg

My image is not undated. It is not a 'handout' .

I am incensed to discover that Alamy are  'selling' my images to itself for unlimited perpetual use as part of this PA Media/Alamy commercial offering. 

And then, of course, keeping 60% of the fee leaving me 6 cents. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I0000l400Y2nfC7o.jpg

I am incensed to discover that Alamy are  'selling' my images to itself for unlimited perpetual use as part of this PA Media/Alamy commercial offering. 

Could this be the [LU]?

wim

I00006p5ArN6P.hA.jpg

Could be Wim.

My pic is the one cut off at the bottom of the screenshot of the red/pink front door. 

'Front garden UK' and 'flowers front garden' both link to this image/sister image.

But no sale is shown in Alamy Measures between 25 April ( date of use) and 12th July

Edited by geogphotos

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Could this be the [LU]?

wim

I haven't followed the LU discussion - do we know what it actually means ( apart from Limited Use)?

It can't be that all of the LU uses are by PA Media. 

But how would a client know to search for LU?

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

I am not waiting for an Alamy answer on database issues since much longer. 🙄

"Our team is investigating and working at resolving the problem" 

I was referring to the use of the LU filter as it is allegedly associated with Novel Use which I opted out of in 2019!

Phil

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

I was referring to the use of the LU filter as it is allegedly associated with Novel Use which I opted out of in 2019!

Phil

and i was referring to fact Alamy as pretty much given up on communicating to contributors on database issues 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I0000l400Y2nfC7o.jpg

Surely there has to be a question of legality in this. 

I said months ago there has to be some kind of conflict of interest here. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BobD said:

Surely there has to be a question of legality in this. 

I said months ago there has to be some kind of conflict of interest here. 

That thought crossed my mind because our contract states that Alamy should be endeavouring to get the best prices for us ( can't remember the exact wording) - they do take on some contractual duty towards us. 

I am waiting for a response from Alamy so probably best not so say much more in case I have got this all totally muddled up and wrong.

But on the face of it PA Media/Alamy paying 4p an image as part of a syndicated product ( written by a PA journalist) which can be sold  'more than 25' times hardly seems to be fair and reasonable. Indeed it is by far the worst licence ever! 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Have you seen the thread "Bizarre Situation" in this forum?

Allan

Hi Allan, Do you mean the ones credited to:

'PA Media/Alamy'

- different to the situation I describe because PA Media does have its own images on Alamy. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Bit late to the party on this one and not sure if there's another thread on this, but just notice the majority of my images have LU after them when I checked in Measures.

Carol

There is.. We're all getting that but Alamy won't tell us why.

I've tuned out. Just waiting for the bank transfers.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Bit late to the party on this one and not sure if there's another thread on this, but just notice the majority of my images have LU after them when I checked in Measures.

Carol

@Alamy not answering e mail queries either(since 5th July!!!)...

Not happy. As if as has been reported it's connected to novel use then how is it happening to people who have opted out(Me since 2019!)...?? 

Phil

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

@Alamy not answering e mail queries either(since 5th July!!!)...

Not happy. As if as has been reported it's connected to novel use then how is it happening to people who have opted out(Me since 2019!)...?? 

Phil

but don't forget to answer the survey so Alamy about the Forum that they have decided they don't read blocking replies to the request for answers and forcing answer through e-mails were they go into another void..  ♻️

#Error500

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

but don't forget to answer the survey so Alamy about the Forum that they have decided they don't read blocking replies to the request for answers and forcing answer through e-mails were they go into another void..  ♻️

#Error500

Done 3 days ago 😆

Phil

• Alamy locked this topic