French WWII Officer Help

Going through some old negatives of my mother's (probably my grandfather's) I came across this image and thought it was of Charles De Gaulle but now I don't think so and I could not find any similar photos on the web. Any WWII buffs who may know? 

Charles De Gaulle_0027

Leclerc was a colonel only  from 11/40 to 8/41. That would rule him out of meeting GIs in London- assuming I'm right about that. As would the lack of moustache.

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Philippe_Leclerc_de_Hauteclocque#Promotions

I'd need more metadata (haha) to confidently caption it as Leclerc. Looks very like him though.

Not sure where it is. Is it in the UK? Its hard to read the sign top right. Looking at it again before I send, does it say Gentlem, as part of a sign for the loos? That rules out France. They might not be GIs - could they be part of the USAF who had a presence in the UK before the USA. From Wiki "As a result, a special U.S. Army Observer Group was activated in London on 19 May 1941" I was basing my ID on the nose and chin, though the moustache is a problem. Those blokes tended to keep their 'taches.

• Love 2

20 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks everyone! Is it safe to say that he is greeting U.S. soldiers?

I merely asserted that they were GIs but I can't identify any of those caps. In my view it's not even safe to say it's Leclerc.

One for an army uniform forum methinks. There are some things even we can't crack.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

On 22/06/2022 at 18:22, geogphotos said:

I use the phrase 'thought to be' when not 100% sure.

This is one of those occasions where I would have the liability provisions in the new contract in mind.

Edited by spacecadet

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This is one of those occasions where I would have the liability provisions in the new contract in mind.

To me sayimg 'thought to be' means that the buyer needs to check because I am not 100% sure. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

these are all french soldiers, they are all wearing the distinctive french side cap (different style than the american garrison hat) that was standardized in world war 1 used through ww2.  the photo is very low rez, but if you notice the symbol on the colonel's "patte de collet" it's a circle design of some sort, maybe medical officer.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:22, Colin Woods said:

Not sure where it is. Is it in the UK? Its hard to read the sign top right. Looking at it again before I send, does it say Gentlem, as part of a sign for the loos? 

It also looks like Station M..... under the clock. I'd love the image to depict soldiers that had escaped from Dunkirk arriving in London being welcomed, but that goes way beyond 'thought to be'!