Put your pics in a book?

FOTOLINCS

I have been behind a camera since 1952 mostly as a freelance but driving my passion on the side which is wildlife photography. I decided to create a book through BLURB but it was much harder and took much longer than I anticipated but still, a nice jaunt down memory lane. 

If you are considering doing such a thing as creating your own book then stay on script, don't wander too far from the core message which in my case was 'how to navigate the world of wildlife photography' mostly in the UK, (we don't all have the megabucks to go globe-trotting).

Keep the cost of the book down and go for a 'Trade Book' much cheaper.

I haven't had it reviewed yet but you can see a preview 15 pages or you might even be tempted to buy the book, I have fired it out there for comment anyway?

https://www.blurb.com/b/11092072-your-wildlife-journey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FOTOLINCS said:

I have been behind a camera since 1952 mostly as a freelance but driving my passion on the side which is wildlife photography. I decided to create a book through BLURB but it was much harder and took much longer than I anticipated but still, a nice jaunt down memory lane. 

If you are considering doing such a thing as creating your own book then stay on script, don't wander too far from the core message which in my case was 'how to navigate the world of wildlife photography' mostly in the UK, (we don't all have the megabucks to go globe-trotting).

Keep the cost of the book down and go for a 'Trade Book' much cheaper.

I haven't had it reviewed yet but you can see a preview 15 pages or you might even be tempted to buy the book, I have fired it out there for comment anyway?

https://www.blurb.com/b/11092072-your-wildlife-journey

The only book I intend to produce is a record of my life just for family members, from pictures of me in a baby bath in London to current times. Where still available, pictures of where I've lived, worked, went to school, the hospital window by where I was hospitalised after a bad RTA in 1974 etc. I'll do similar for my daughter, from birth to a stroppy teenager and. later. Will involve a lot of scanning and digitising of negatives. It will likely happen 'when I get time'. I did once long ago co-operate with a group of photographers in producing a Blurb book, but currently have no interest going down that road again.       

Your book seems pretty great to me. It's my experience that photography guides to specific places can be quite popular. I've produced a food travel guide to Pennsylvania (Good Eats:Pennsylvania from Globe Pequot) and a general travel guide to Lancaster County Pennsylvania (Lancaster County Bucket List from Schiffer Books) and both are doing pretty well.

I too, have the dream of self-publishing a family-oriented book to offer as a gift to friends and relatives and it may or many not happen soon.

I have done 15 Blurb books. They're for sale obviously, because that's what Blurb does, but at ridiculous prices. I've done them for myself not for money.

It is a lot of hard work but a lot of pleasure as well.

You might be interested in these two, birds and insects

https://www.blurb.com/books/1927379-wings-of-the-world

https://www.blurb.com/b/2985189-secret-world-of-insects

All the best for your book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

I have done 15 Blurb books. They're for sale obviously, because that's what Blurb does, but at ridiculous prices. I've done them for myself not for money.

It is a lot of hard work but a lot of pleasure as well.

You might be interested in these two, birds and insects

https://www.blurb.com/books/1927379-wings-of-the-world

https://www.blurb.com/b/2985189-secret-world-of-insects

All the best for your book.

Some nice pics there lass.

A very interesting thread. Thanks.

Such projects fill me with feelings of insecurity though I love the idea! I have many questions. First off, do you need to do anything to prepare images for print or just import them as they are - isn't there a lot to learn about printing profiles etc

Well done to all for getting these wonderful books produced and thanks for sharing.

Edited by geogphotos

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

A very interesting thread. Thanks.

Such projects fill me with feelings of insecurity though I love the idea! I have many questions. First off, do you need to do anything to prepare images for print or just import them as they are - isn't there a lot to learn about printing profiles etc

Well done to all for getting these wondeful books produced and thanks for sharing.

I can only talk about Blurb.

No you cannot use your images as is. Why not? Because you will have to re-size them for each container, depending on the layout you choose. You will also have to convert them to the recommended profile. I haven't done a Blurb book for some time so I forgot which but Blurb has some good 'how to' tips.

I believe that since my last book, they have discontinued the software I was using, which was much more flexible on layout, etc. than the current one.

Printing quality has also gone downhill, they re-printed my last book for free.

Lastly, you have to think why you would want to do a book. If it's to make money, forget it with Blurb. Prices are insane. Some of my books are for sale for over $400. And that's without me taking any profit. 

Others might be able to comment on other book printing companies. 

12 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Your book seems pretty great to me. It's my experience that photography guides to specific places can be quite popular. I've produced a food travel guide to Pennsylvania (Good Eats:Pennsylvania from Globe Pequot) and a general travel guide to Lancaster County Pennsylvania (Lancaster County Bucket List from Schiffer Books) and both are doing pretty well.

I too, have the dream of self-publishing a family-oriented book to offer as a gift to friends and relatives and it may or many not happen soon.

Yes, specific places, I know what you mean Brian, I have benefitted by reading material on wildlife photography in specific places/countries for photographers but my thoughts were, no matter what part of the world you go to, the same basic rules apply regarding how to get close to your quarry and what (and what not) to do when it arrives.

How often do you see a photographer, keen and with all the gear but certain to fail because he/she is doing something basically wrong?

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

I can only talk about Blurb.

No you cannot use your images as is. Why not? Because you will have to re-size them for each container, depending on the layout you choose. You will also have to convert them to the recommended profile. I haven't done a Blurb book for some time so I forgot which but Blurb has some good 'how to' tips.

I believe that since my last book, they have discontinued the software I was using, which was much more flexible on layout, etc. than the current one.

Printing quality has also gone downhill, they re-printed my last book for free.

Lastly, you have to think why you would want to do a book. If it's to make money, forget it with Blurb. Prices are insane. Some of my books are for sale for over $400. And that's without me taking any profit. 

Others might be able to comment on other book printing companies. 

Yes gvallee, yer right about prices. I chose to do a 'Trade Book' because the alternative was about 5 times dearer. Mine retails at £9.99 but when I tried to get it distributed via  recognised distributor it works out that not only would there be zero in it for me but I would be out of pocket even at that price!  The only way that I can see around this is to sell it myself and, honestly, I'm not sure I can be bothered now so Blurb and myself are losing out. Makes no sense does it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FOTOLINCS said:

How often do you see a photographer, keen and with all the gear but certain to fail because he/she is doing something basically wrong?

Actually, almost never ... and I live in one of the most touristed destinations in the Eastern USA. What I do see are people who have no idea of what they're doing and either don't realize it or think that nobody will notice. They people who think they need to improve are among the best I encounter.  Yes, everybody can improve, and no, not that many of us are willing to admit it.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Actually, almost never ... and I live in one of the most touristed destinations in the Eastern USA. What I do see are people who have no idea of what they're doing and either don't realize it or think that nobody will notice. They people who think they need to improve are among the best I encounter.  Yes, everybody can improve, and no, not that many of us are willing to admit it.

One guy immediately springs to mind here Brian.  I was in a reserve hide with him and his canon camera. He was very unhappy with his camera that he said was soft focusing. When a large flock of waders approached the hide (blind) and we both got onto them I heard his camera go beep beep!!  He had it set on single focus and so when he pressed the shutter to get onto the birds it locked focus on them at that distance and obviously wasn't continually focusing on them as they got nearer.  Naturally the images were out of focus. He was also using shutter priority on these birds against a white sky so they were under exposed too.  He was prepared to sell his camera and buy a new one which of course would have made no difference at all.  What to do?  Help him out or mind my own business?  It's a difficult one isn't it.  Ho hum.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 22:29, sb photos said:

The only book I intend to produce is a record of my life just for family members

I already have one of those. It's called "Facebook Timeline".

Alan

Colin, that's quite a story! I'm not sure what I'd do in a similar situation. Being polite and vaguely positive seems to be the best thing to do. On the other hand, if you were offering a paid workshop and he was a student, you could have one very satisfied customer.

2 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Colin, that's quite a story! I'm not sure what I'd do in a similar situation. Being polite and vaguely positive seems to be the best thing to do. On the other hand, if you were offering a paid workshop and he was a student, you could have one very satisfied customer.

I used to do workshops many years ago but I think I am of an age now where patience is not what it was😩  Actually I did say to him a few minutes later "I heard two beeps, you haven't got it on single focus by any chance have you?"  "Oh hell" he said, and then put it right.  I didn't mention using the camera on auto-exposure, I thought that might be a bridge too far!

• Like 1

I made a short Blurb photo book on Mexico a number of years ago. At the time, I was still doing quite a lot of work with Mexican tourism boards, and I used the book mainly for promotional purposes -- i.e. I gave copies away as gifts to tourism folks. I've never actually sold a copy, though. Self-published books are definitely a labour of love (or self-love). I found the book fun to put together, so I might do some more one of these years. Then maybe I won't. 🙃

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

The only photo books I have made are of the grandchildren growing up, presented to the parents.  I have no ambition to produce a book to sell. 

Super photos in your books Gen. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

The only photo books I have made are of the grandchildren growing up, presented to the parents.  I have no ambition to produce a book to sell. 

Super photos in your books Gen. 

Thank you Bryan. Those books I made are 100% for me. I never intended to make money out of it. I was gobsmacked when a couple sold.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phomme said:

I have made a couple of photo books on Blurb, they make for great gifts, and I have sold a few as well.  The link to one of my books.

https://www.blurb.ca/b/9752005-welcome-to-quebec

Very nice. Glad to hear you've had success selling your book. I spent most of my growing-up years in and around Montreal. I try to go back to Quebec for a visit every year. However, with Bill 96, etc., I'm feeling less inclined (sadly) to do so. But that's another story... 🙄

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1