Distribution Scheme ?

I have been looking at the November sales thread and there seem to be many making a decent number of sales given the amount of images in their portfolios.

My question;  is it because of the distribution scheme and how many territories are chosen.

I have over 8000 images with ALAMY and lucky to license 1 or 2 per month,  yes i am in the dist/ scheme with about 10 territories.

Dose anybody think it is a good idea to mark them all.

Reasons for and against will be appreciated.

Paul.

I would mark them all without doubt. Better 1 sale for 7 dollars then no sale for 0 dollars. Anyway i see many photographers having also large sales from distributors.

Maybe good idea to try it out.... i really dont see any disadvantage.

Mirco

I have signed up to all of them but only 6 of my 34 sales this month were through distributors.  That still leaves 28 non distributor sales but I do have more images of course.

Pearl

Yesterday I marked all. Just in case. Agreed what Mirco said.

Additionally, more sales, even are few cents, at the end will increase your Alamy ranking. I hope so.

My understanding is that Alamy Rank takes account of average sale price as well as other factors so too many low sales could actually be detrimental.

Pearl

It's definitely worth it unless it conflicts with agencies you supply in other countries (which I don't).

I've always been signed up to every territory except Italy* and it can make a substantial difference to one's monthly income. Last month, I only had 9 out of 118 sales that were through distributors but, back in January, that figure was 27 out of 90.

Ian D

* I dropped Italy after I was only seeing a lot of tiny $4 sales (to Viaggia???) but  I've actually just signed back up after Kumar (Doc) mentioned that he'd started getting some reasonable licenses from there.

It's definitely worth it unless it conflicts with agencies you supply in other countries (which I don't).

I've always been signed up to every territory except Italy* and it can make a substantial difference to one's monthly income. Last month, I only had 9 out of 118 sales that were through distributors but, back in January, that figure was 27 out of 90.

Ian D

* I dropped Italy after I was only seeing a lot of tiny $4 sales (to Viaggia???) but  I've actually just signed back up after Kumar (Doc) mentioned that he'd started getting some reasonable licenses from there.

I also was tempted to drop Italy as sales were all below $10 but recently they have been more like 4x that so I'm glad I stayed in.

Pearl

I think these days agencies and suppliers are networking images all over the place,  i am sure some agencies have duplicated images from different sources it would be to difficult to control 100%, i am sure it would not be a problem.

Dose anybody know if Alamy actually send all images to the distributors,  or do the distributors have a key to access Alamy files.

Meanwhile i have ticked the all distributors box,  now i will wait and see if there is any increase in sales.

Thanks everybody!

Paul.

Japan is VERY good & Italy is getting a lot better !!

Colin.

Japan, Germany, Scandinavia, the USA are all good markets, with higher than UK prices for editorial work.  There is huge potential in both the developing world and the newly developed world.  So far Alamy has not been successful in tapping these markets, partly because they distribute through agencies that nobody has heard of, and who don't have the clout to ask for good prices.  One agency that is tapping new markets is Blend (see today's home page), and their distribution system rocks.

Even so, I recommend joining Alamy's, because any experience of selling abroad is good, given that the UK is clapped out.

I've always been signed up to every territory except Italy* and it can make a substantial difference to one's monthly income. Last month, I only had 9 out of 118 sales that were through distributors but, back in January, that figure was 27 out of 90.

Ian D

* I dropped Italy after I was only seeing a lot of tiny $4 sales (to Viaggia???) but I've actually just signed back up after Kumar (Doc) mentioned that he'd started getting some reasonable licenses from there.

Ian - did you know the Alamy link on your website brings up no images - a bit like the number under your name on the forum?

Phil,

I've just tried the link to my website and I can't see any problem with it. However, I have to confess to having ignored maintaining it for almost 2 years now!

EDIT: Just realised what the problem probably is - it's a flash site which I built before the advent of the iPad etc. If you're trying to look at it on a mobile device, it probably won't work - must do something about that!

With regard to no images showing under my forum name, that's quite intentional. I'm very open about my real identity, which is shown in my profile, and my images can easily be searched on Alamy by name. However, I have very strong reasons for not revealing a couple of my minor pseudonyms.

Ian D

Phil,

I've just tried the link to my website and I can't see any problem with it. However, I have to confess to having ignored maintaining it for almost 2 years now!

With regard to no images showing under my forum name, that's quite intentional. I'm very open about my real identity, which is shown in my profile, and my images can easily be searched on Alamy by name. However, I have very strong reasons for not revealing a couple of my minor pseudonyms.

Ian D

Ian,

I've just tried your website, it's working for me.

John

Thanks, John

I'd just edited my post while you were posting!

Ian D

PS I don't seem to be able to quote a previous post - very annoying.

Thanks, Paulette - another problem I'm going to have to deal with!

As I said, I haven't actually maintained the site for a while and that link was simply a search term on my name. Now of course, it won't return anything because one's got to go through Advanced Search to see a contributor's images.

Ian D

Try the "My Alamy Homepage". I don't know if it will hide the images you don't want to show. Not sure how you have managed it on the Forum. It seems some people from the old Forum won't use this one for reasons of not wanting to show some images.

Paulette

Japan is VERY good & Italy is getting a lot better !!

Colin.

Japan, Germany, Scandinavia, the USA are all good markets, with higher than UK prices for editorial work.  There is huge potential in both the developing world and the newly developed world.  So far Alamy has not been successful in tapping these markets, partly because they distribute through agencies that nobody has heard of, and who don't have the clout to ask for good prices.  One agency that is tapping new markets is Blend (see today's home page), and their distribution system rocks.

Even so, I recommend joining Alamy's, because any experience of selling abroad is good, given that the UK is clapped out.

Would second Robert's statement. The commercial agencies have the widest possible distribution networks.

Unless you can tap directly in each market, it makes no sense at all not to have all territories marked. You can never assume where that next big cheque is coming from.

Archived