Problems uploading images

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

I'm having problems uploading a batch of images.  I haven't done anything different to what I normally do so I can't understand why it is rejecting some as it goes along.  It is also massively slow at the moment.  I don't change the file names and numbers or anything and it's never happened before.  It only uploaded 2 of a large batch before I stopped it.  Very frustrating. I'm using the uploader in Image Manager which I always use.

Any help/ideas appreciated as always😉

Carol

I just thought I would do a test, so I uploaded 2 previously uploaded and on sale images that went through perfectly at the time.

Hey presto I just uploaded them again and both of them failed to upload and came up with an error, what the error is I don't know but I hope Alamy can sort this out promptly,

Carol

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've had this problem occasionally in the past, Carol. I suggest letting it alone for a day or so and then resubmitting. 

Ah ok, many thanks Edo I will do as you suggest, just that I always think it's something I'm doing wrong - hopefully it will sort itself🙏  I remember back in the day when I could actually talk to someone at Alamy😉

Appreciate your help...

Carol

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems, I know I am impatient, I will try again tomorrow as it's still playing up.  I thought I would try Classic FTP and by some miracle managed to connect and think uploaded 3 images, well it said they had uploaded and it was very quick......However when I looked in image manager they aren't showing so looks like I'm doing something wrong ?

Thanks again in advance for any help....

Carol

4 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

I haven't had any problems at all I had uploaded 67 photos a couple of weeks ago and last Thursday uploaded 47 photos without any problems 

Many thanks Alexander, last time I uploaded was 4th October and before that and never any problems at all, I've been away for a short while and now need to upload.  I've spent a good part of the day trying to fathom what's wrong but not getting anywhere, I've managed about 4 out of 40😒. As said I've not been doing anything differently at all.  

When I turned my iMac on and started editing I noticed that Bridge had updated but that wouldn't have anything to do with it.  I'll try again tomorrow I guess my head is spinning now......

Appreciate your response 

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems, I know I am impatient, I will try again tomorrow as it's still playing up.  I thought I would try Classic FTP and by some miracle managed to connect and think uploaded 3 images, well it said they had uploaded and it was very quick......However when I looked in image manager they aren't showing so looks like I'm doing something wrong ?

Thanks again in advance for any help....

Carol

had a few images in process, so went ahead uploading through web, No issues. 

56 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

had a few images in process, so went ahead uploading through web, No issues. 

Many thanks, just tried a small batch of 6 - first one rejected upload error, no reason, second 2 went through though took ages, 4th one again rejected upload error.  I've now come out of it as I'm losing the will - tomorrow is another day..... thank you again..

Carol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks, just tried a small batch of 6 - first one rejected upload error, no reason, second 2 went through though took ages, 4th one again rejected upload error.  I've now come out of it as I'm losing the will - tomorrow is another day..... thank you again..

Carol

Check if your Jpegs are still Baseline Standard. This may choke the upload somehow.

wim

7 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

Carol, your description sounds similar to an experience of mine some years ago that was caused by broadband issues before I upgraded to fibre. Try repeating speed tests to see if you have fairly consistent speeds. Try https://www.broadbandspeedtest.org.uk . Also you could try uploading by FTP, the free FileZilla is good. Personally I've had no issues uploading for a long time now.

To isolate your BB as the problem you could use your phone on 4G as a hot spot to upload.

Edited by sb photos

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Check if your Jpegs are still Baseline Standard. This may choke the upload somehow.

wim

Many thanks Wim, I will double check.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Carol, your description sounds similar to an experience of mine some years ago that was caused by broadband issues before I upgraded to fibre. Try repeating speed tests to see if you have fairly consistent speeds. Try https://www.broadbandspeedtest.org.uk . Also you could try uploading by FTP, the free FileZilla is good. Personally I've had no issues uploading for a long time now.

To isolate your BB as the problem you could use your phone on 4G as a hot spot to upload.

Many thanks Steve, I have no idea about hotspots though I will of course look into it, and also FileZilla I will look into this also, I think you are probably correct in that it could be a broadband problem, so it looks like today's task is sorted, sorting it out....🙏

Thanks again for the input folks

Carol

Just checked and the images are baseline standard so thank you again Wim.  Just tried a small batch of 3 but same problem, will now do Steve's speed test....

Done the speed test the Download line went green quite quickly and showed 2.40 mbps, the upload line stayed yellow and produced no figures !

I will try FileZilla but am just wondering if my broadband is at fault will this even work ?

I will however contact my Broadband provider and try and keep calm.....

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
wording

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Done the speed test the Download line went green quite quickly and showed 2.40 mbps, the upload line stayed yellow and produced no figures !

I've got a pretty ordinary connection (not fibre) but I get 17 Mbps so that's going to be your problem I think, especially the non-existent upload data. Is that over wi-fi or plugged into the router? Certainly try 4G on the phone if you can.

Edited by Harry Harrison
Mbps not Mbbs

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I've got a pretty ordinary connection (not fibre) but I get 17 Mbbs so that's going to be your problem I think, especially the non-existent upload data. Is that over wi-fi or plugged into the router? Certainly try 4G on the phone if you can.

Thank you Harry, I've no idea about ordinary connections or other connections to be honest.  All I know is if it works it works😃

Anyway some bad news and some good....

I called BT who is my broadband provider.  Before I called them I reset the router as this is normally what I've been asked to do before.  When I got through to them, it wasn't actually too much of a wait, he checked the speeds and indeed said the upload and download speeds were both abysmal.  I told him I had reset the router and he said they were so bad it wouldn't make any difference.  So in short I have an engineer attending tomorrow between 8am and 1pm to sort things either outside in the green box and/or inside whatever is necessary.

I then tried uploading a few small batches of images and lo and behold they went through fairly quickly except for the last batch just now which showed error on the last image and I've just done a speed test and everything on go slow again but at least I got some through 😉

Thanks again everyone, I have now made the speedtest a bookmark so I can keep checking. I will definately look into FileZilla and any hints/tips on using it also appreciated, also will look into using a hotspot.  I'm really no that tekkie as you all probably know by now.  

I turn my back for 5 minutes and when I return to my iMac Bridge and PS has been updated - that I got my head around and it's also telling me upgrade to Monterey - this I will leave for another day😉

Carol

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

So in short I have an engineer attending tomorrow between 8am and 1pm to sort things either outside in the green box and/or inside whatever is necessary.

I should have said that my upload speed isn't brilliant, around O.8 Mbps, I sometimes wonder if I should investigate this but generally decide that the hassle factor will be too high and it doesn't actually cause me any problems. I think with my ADSL connection I might expect up to 1.5 Mbbs. If there is a fault on the line between your master socket and the street they are responsible, if however they find that it is something in the house then generally you need to pay for the visit. I got caught out once as they traced my problem to a faulty filter on one of the phones. Probably too much trouble but you can usually disconnect the house connections at the master socket and plug the router directly into the master socket to check for that, it's designed that way.  It will be interesting to see what speeds you get once they've fixed it.

Edited by Harry Harrison
Mbps not Mbbs

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Routers age out. I have to replace mine every 2-3 years. Just did that a couple of months ago.

Yes it's true Betty but this time apparently it's not the router it is quite a new one, not to say that these cannot go wrong.  I think the only thing wearing out is me😃

Carol

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Yes it's true Betty but this time apparently it's not the router it is quite a new one, not to say that these cannot go wrong.  I think the only thing wearing out is me😃

Carol

Me, too! 🙄 My problem isn’t so much difficulty uploading, but that I lose the Internet entirely. A reboot by disconnecting everything, plugging back in usually fixes it, but what a pain. At every turn I’m rather bumbling along.

I think you and I were standing behind the post when technical ability was handed out.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Me, too! 🙄 My problem isn’t so much difficulty uploading, but that I lose the Internet entirely. A reboot by disconnecting everything, plugging back in usually fixes it, but what a pain. At every turn I’m rather bumbling along.

I think you and I were standing behind the post when technical ability was handed out.

Betty I think you are spot on about technical ability.  I managed to upload a few batches of images today when the going was good so fingers crossed the engineer will sort things out tomorrow - what could possibly go wrong😃

Carol

Betty I think you are spot on about technical ability.  I managed to upload a few batches of images today when the going was good so fingers crossed the engineer will sort things out tomorrow - what could possibly go wrong😃

Carol

As we say over here, you must hold your mouth just right if you want something to go well. Practice in the mirror. 😉

13 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

Frustration due to failing uploads is something that remains clearly in my head as if it happened only yesterday, not nice. Thankfully all has been OK for some years now.  Hoping your issues are sorted soon.

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Frustration due to failing uploads is something that remains clearly in my head as if it happened only yesterday, not nice. Thankfully all has been OK for some years now.  Hoping your issues are sorted soon.

Many thanks again Steve...... oh wow just call me lightning😄  The BT engineer arrived at 10.30 a.m., and stayed for a couple of hours and happily managed to sort it all out by doing whatever wizzard things these guys do.

He said it was one of the slowest he had seen !  Heaven only knows how I managed to get anything done !  Anyway it's super fast now though I'm addicted to doing speed tests - so from a download speed yesterday of 2.40 yesterday, this has now gone way up to 20.05 and the upload speed which literally wasn't showing anything is 2.83.  It's all super fast now and I managed to upload a batch of images just now in record time. (hoping they pass QC😉).  I used to leave the images uploading and go and make a three course meal😉  I am super super happy now😄

Hopefully when I pluck up the courage to upgrade to Monterey it won't take too long but that's for another day😉

Thanks again everyone for all your help and support as always......

Carol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks again Steve...... oh wow just call me lightning😄  The BT engineer arrived at 10.30 a.m., and stayed for a couple of hours and happily managed to sort it all out by doing whatever wizzard things these guys do.

He said it was one of the slowest he had seen !  Heaven only knows how I managed to get anything done !  Anyway it's super fast now though I'm addicted to doing speed tests - so from a download speed yesterday of 2.40 yesterday, this has now gone way up to 20.05 and the upload speed which literally wasn't showing anything is 2.83.  It's all super fast now and I managed to upload a batch of images just now in record time. (hoping they pass QC😉).  I used to leave the images uploading and go and make a three course meal😉  I am super super happy now😄

Hopefully when I pluck up the courage to upgrade to Monterey it won't take too long but that's for another day😉

Thanks again everyone for all your help and support as always......

Carol

Unless you have a special reason to use Monterey, its always wise to wait for a few updates to ensure stability and be sure its bug free first. The only exception if you have another Mac that isn’t your main or work Mac, then it’s useful to install Monterey to become familiar with it. 

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Unless you have a special reason to use Monterey, its always wise to wait for a few updates to ensure stability and be sure its bug free first. The only exception if you have another Mac that isn’t your main or work Mac, then it’s useful to install Monterey to become familiar with it. 

Thanks Steve, yes I will wait a while.  Not sure what's new in it so I will endeavour to find out first also to make sure everything I have is compatible with it...

Carol

Thanks Steve, yes I will wait a while.  Not sure what's new in it so I will endeavour to find out first also to make sure everything I have is compatible with it...

Carol

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago and the only issue I've discovered so far is that I had to also update Carbon Copy Cloner which was a paid for upgrade, so about €20.

I did it mainly due to the new V11 LR upgrade which wouldn't run on Mojave. 

Phil