Problems uploading images

CAROL SAUNDERS

Question

I'm having problems uploading a batch of images.  I haven't done anything different to what I normally do so I can't understand why it is rejecting some as it goes along.  It is also massively slow at the moment.  I don't change the file names and numbers or anything and it's never happened before.  It only uploaded 2 of a large batch before I stopped it.  Very frustrating. I'm using the uploader in Image Manager which I always use.

Any help/ideas appreciated as always😉

Carol

On 09/11/2021 at 10:44, wiskerke said:

Check if your Jpegs are still Baseline Standard. This may choke the upload somehow.

wim

Hi Wim, have i missed something here regarding whether images upload better if the Jpegs are set to Baseline Standard? i have been using  Baseline Optimised for years..does it make a real difference...I have been using the Alamy uploader and it is so slow.

6 hours ago, William Caram said:

Hi Wim, have i missed something here regarding whether images upload better if the Jpegs are set to Baseline Standard? i have been using  Baseline Optimised for years..does it make a real difference...I have been using the Alamy uploader and it is so slow.

Alamy seems to choke sometimes on Jpegs that are not Baseline Standard. Sometimes everything gets through; sometimes it's the first; sometimes it's the last or somewhere in the middle. It could well be a thing of the past, because it has been many years since I tried. By mistake I may add: Photoshop has the nasty habit of always remembering the last used Jpeg setting. Including not only the quality setting, but also the optimization setting. Which is fine if you never open any Jpeg except your own.

Why does Alamy want Baseline Standard? No idea. Even that may be a thing of the past as well and the systems don't care anymore.

But a test would be very simple: send two sets of images: one Optimized and one Baseline Standard. And compare the upload speed.

As you have seen doing a simple speed test once in a while may ferret out a flaw somewhere. Which can even be that somewhere somebody kicked a small box in the street (here it was fireworks). Or hit a bigger one with a car. Or a cable with a shovel. Or there's a rotten server somewhere down the line. It doesn't always have to be PEBCAK or PICNIC. 😂

I use speedtest.net by Ookla. Just now it says: Ping  8 ms - Download 93.03 Mbps - Upload  30.54 Mbps. Which is quite decent for DSL. Cable could/should be quicker. Speed depends a lot on the subscription of course, but it's not necessarily the most expensive that's the fastest.

We're finally getting fiber optic next week, so I'm taking readings throughout the day to compare. There's a download function that will export a spreadsheet.

Oh and the Alamy uploader usually is really quick for me already.

wim

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Alamy seems to choke sometimes on Jpegs that are not Baseline Standard. Sometimes everything gets through; sometimes it's the first; sometimes it's the last or somewhere in the middle. It could well be a thing of the past, because it has been many years since I tried. By mistake I may add: Photoshop has the nasty habit of always remembering the last used Jpeg setting. Including not only the quality setting, but also the optimization setting. Which is fine if you never open any Jpeg except your own.

Why does Alamy want Baseline Standard? No idea. Even that may be a thing of the past as well and the systems don't care anymore.

But a test would be very simple: send two sets of images: one Optimized and one Baseline Standard. And compare the upload speed.

As you have seen doing a simple speed test once in a while may ferret out a flaw somewhere. Which can even be that somewhere somebody kicked a small box in the street (here it was fireworks). Or hit a bigger one with a car. Or a cable with a shovel. Or there's a rotten server somewhere down the line. It doesn't always have to be PEBCAK or PICNIC. 😂

I use speedtest.net by Ookla. Just now it says: Ping  8 ms - Download 93.03 Mbps - Upload  30.54 Mbps. Which is quite decent for DSL. Cable could/should be quicker. Speed depends a lot on the subscription of course, but it's not necessarily the most expensive that's the fastest.

We're finally getting fiber optic next week, so I'm taking readings throughout the day to compare. There's a download function that will export a spreadsheet.

Oh and the Alamy uploader usually is really quick for me already.

wim

Thanks Wim

Well have tried Baseline Jpegs version uploads and maybe a fraction better...the contributing problem is that my upload speeds are very poor indeed...so if i have to continue to nurse images through one to two at a time 🙄😃 then i still move forwards.....Slowly 

PS..I did try FileZilla...but it would randomly duplicate images and i spent a lot of time deleting multiple copies of images