Trail Camera Images

I am sure they do but be careful on what you buy, off the shelf trail cams produce notoriously poor image quality compared to say even the cheapest DSLR or pocket camera, especially in low light. I build my own (but dont sell the images I produce from them) DSLR camera trap rigs and I can tell you its an expensive activity.

Edited by Panthera tigris
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

The trail cameras I have seen at the sub £150 level are good as basic security stuff but for stills pretty awful. Video quality for animals at night is not great, but then again neither is a lot of the stuff broadcast 

I agree with the above.

Earlier this year I bought a reasonable trail camera purely to see what wildlife visited our garden at night. After having foxes sunbathing in our back garden during days, all I recorded at night was cats and one hedgehog. On another occasion I setup an older D7100 with flash/diffuser in our cats weather proof shelter, plate of cat food in its entrance.  It was tethered via Smart Shooter to a MBP in the kitchen, no sensor to detect movement, all manual. I stayed up until 2.30am, no visitors. On other occasions when uneaten food was left there the plate was licked clean in the morning.

Edited by sb photos

I have a trail camera which cost about £100. The video is full HD an the stills 4000 x 3000. In neither case would I contemplate submitting them as items for Alamy or a video agency, the quality is simply too poor, probably due to lens quality and high compression rates on the video. I don't know how much you would have to pay to get one which produced  decent quality.  

I found this one on line which is the dearest one I saw at £284 down from £333. But resolution will depend on sensor size and I believe to get the size of image quoted on most trail cams interpolate the images with internal programming.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll take the trail camera off my must have list. With all your described experiences I think I may get better results hiding in a bush with an open can of Whiskas.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

What were you hoping to catch?

36 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

What were you hoping to catch?

At the time, the local Fox Cubs and Hedgehogs and whatever is upsetting our ducks on the pond at night. From my time volunteering at a wildlife hospital a can of cat food is valuable currency in the animal world 🦡😀

• Love 1

On 11/09/2021 at 17:45, Allan Bell said:

I found this one on line which is the dearest one I saw at £284 down from £333. But resolution will depend on sensor size and I believe to get the size of image quoted on most trail cams interpolate the images with internal programming.

Allan

Allan I think you'll find that the price you have quoted is for the four PCS set , for one PCS the price is £71.03.

I have been looking at these myself as I look after a nature reserve in my area and was curious as to what might be about at night.

Liam  

If I were interested in seeing what comes into my garden at night I would use one of my existing quality cameras and lens with flash under cover and rig up an infrared or ultrasonic trip.

As it would be in my enclosed garden it is unlikely that it will be nicked.

Allan