Jump to content

Post an Odd Thing That Happened Today


Recommended Posts

An odd thing having to do with photography, of course. But we won't insist on that. 

 

Yesterday, while on my way to the Post Office in Liverpool One, I passed a woman with a cute small red-haired girl of about two. I stopped and said hello and told the mother that my family name was Rooney, which is the Anglicised word for Ruanaidh in Irish meaning red-haired. (Like the daughter.) 

 

"Really? I didn't know that," the woman said. And then she told me that her maiden name is Rooney. I was totally discombobulated.

 

Edo, a non red-haired Rooney. There were no redheads in my Sligo family . . . but my stepson is a redhead.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

An odd thing having to do with photography, of course. But we won't insist on that.

 

No twighlight zone during Covid times apparently Ed....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not what Ed had in mind but is this odd? It's odd for me in that I don't do it often enough.

I cleaned some gutters. Shifted half a bucket of crud. Then made some pipe brackets out of an old fanbelt. So we have steel-reinforced drainage accessories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Probably not what Ed had in mind but is this odd? It's odd for me in that I don't do it often enough.

I cleaned some gutters. Shifted half a bucket of crud. Then made some pipe brackets out of an old fanbelt. So we have steel-reinforced drainage accessories.

 

Last time I cleaned out the gutters I managed to lose my wedding ring. Needless to say I spent ages looking for it, but no joy. This was the third time that it was lost, the first was in the north sea while sailing. Ring replaced. The second time while gardening, the ring was found years later. 

 

Not connected, but her indoors has since attempted to place an age related ban on my climbing ladders, but she is away for a few days so you never know, gutters beware....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Following a protracted lunchtime session yesterday, at the Dog and Duck, I was abducted by aliens and, due to a mysterious depletion in the available gene-pool on distant planet Zob, forced to mate - repeatedly - with a beautiful, silver-skinned princess. Well, that was odd; in my experience alien abductions usually happen during working hours…

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

an age related ban on my climbing ladders, but she is away for a few days so you never know, gutters beware....

Problem with that is you do want someone around when up ladders in case you do fall off. Perhaps you can bribe a friend with beer.

But this weather! It's found our years of house maintenance foibles in one wet week. It's ladder out again today a dibber on a pole doesn't cut it.

If you are ever allowed up again, I can recommend a ladder stand-off if you don't have one. Lovely and stable and you don't have your face inches from the wall.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ladder-stand-off/3571P?tc=UA6&ds_kid=92700052138708358&ds_rl=1243324&gclid=CjwKCAjwgb6IBhAREiwAgMYKRt3D3-KdjAiGlE1t1-tFprdorTjtgEdhVEeUZzuUWLymJx3VXxcrwRoCRfUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

 

Good looking toy to add to my collection thanks Mark, probably won't be sanctioned however.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

Good looking toy to add to my collection thanks Mark, probably won't be sanctioned however.

Just shifted another 6kg of gutter compost. One short length was less of a gutter and more of a window box.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

 

Here I am sitting alone in Liverpool and I'm trying to pronounce the name of the great Italian tenor correctly. Americans get it very wrong. It should be Pavarotti, with the 'rot' like 'row a boat'. And keep the sound going when you change syllables. Americans chop up Italian words and make them sound Japanese. Maybe we think Macchiato was one of the pilots who bombed Pearl Harbor. 

 

PAVAROTTI !!!

 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am ignorant as I have always pronounced his name as Pava-rot-ti.

 

He was one of the greats if not the greatest.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't decide to post this in the good or bad thread so I am posting it here. This morning, my daughter called on her way home from her hospital night shift and wanted to give me a bunch of leftovers from one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants.  She over ordered last night for her Progressive Care Unit shift's dinner.  So she dropped it off and I and her brother had a bountiful lunch!  That alone would have been a good thing.  But then she told me about an Emergency Room doctor she used to work with had decided to put off getting the Covid vaccine, saying he wanted to see just how effective and safe it was.  As you can probably guess, he got the virus and ended dying at the hospital where he worked.  He was in his forties with no underlying health issues and was married with a 10 yr old son.  How tragic and so preventable.  Where we live, the vaccination rate is in the upper 80% and so anti-vaxxers are not very common so even more surprising, especially being a doctor. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be not that unusual for medical people to distrust that vaccine and I know people who haven't been vaccinated for that reason. Personally, I got mine as soon as I could and will do the same with the booster. I think I might be more accustomed than some people to getting vaccinated because of the countries I have traveled to.

 

Paulette

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I couldn't decide to post this in the good or bad thread so I am posting it here. This morning, my daughter called on her way home from her hospital night shift and wanted to give me a bunch of leftovers from one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants.  She over ordered last night for her Progressive Care Unit shift's dinner.  So she dropped it off and I and her brother had a bountiful lunch!  That alone would have been a good thing.  But then she told me about an Emergency Room doctor she used to work with had decided to put off getting the Covid vaccine, saying he wanted to see just how effective and safe it was.  As you can probably guess, he got the virus and ended dying at the hospital where he worked.  He was in his forties with no underlying health issues and was married with a 10 yr old son.  How tragic and so preventable.  Where we live, the vaccination rate is in the upper 80% and so anti-vaxxers are not very common so even more surprising, especially being a doctor. 

 

BC is now in the process of issuing "vaccine passports" (which I guess could be considered an odd thing). They will be needed to get into restaurants, theatres, gyms, and a host of other places. On the surface, the passports sound like a good idea as they should convince some holdouts to get the jabs. However, enforcing the rules could become a nightmare for businesses. Some are already saying that they won't comply. Should be interesting...

 

As mentioned in another post, my hairdresser of over 30 years, whose father died of COVID last fall, is refusing to get vaccinated, which I find very difficult to process. Unfortunately, I'm now having to look for another place to get a haircut.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a haircut in well over a year — and I look it. Mostly I've been buzzing it down for the Bruce Willis look but I'm planning a trip up the street to the Kurdish barber this week . . . after I master 'just a neat trim' in Kurdish.

 

John, are they doing that in Montreal too? 

 

Michael V, that is very odd behaviour, like standing up in a firefight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I couldn't decide to post this in the good or bad thread so I am posting it here. This morning, my daughter called on her way home from her hospital night shift and wanted to give me a bunch of leftovers from one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants.  She over ordered last night for her Progressive Care Unit shift's dinner.  So she dropped it off and I and her brother had a bountiful lunch!  That alone would have been a good thing.  But then she told me about an Emergency Room doctor she used to work with had decided to put off getting the Covid vaccine, saying he wanted to see just how effective and safe it was.  As you can probably guess, he got the virus and ended dying at the hospital where he worked.  He was in his forties with no underlying health issues and was married with a 10 yr old son.  How tragic and so preventable.  Where we live, the vaccination rate is in the upper 80% and so anti-vaxxers are not very common so even more surprising, especially being a doctor. 

 

I'm going to say something here to the covid disbelievers and antivaxers which I hope will not upset anyone reading it, and I mean ANYONE.

 

Please you people mentioned above just stop thinking about and analysing covid and the vaccines, shut your brain down, go and get the vaccine it does not hurt. After you have had it carry on life as usual without wondering what might or might not happen and enjoyyour new "freedom". If nothing happens you have won out. If something does happen it will not be as bad than if you did not have the vaccine in the first place.

 

Yes I know it is more complicated than that but keeping things simple is better for your health.

 

Allan

 

NOTE:- All the above is taken from what I have heard from the professionals in/on all types of news media and NOT on social media.

 

ITMA

 

Now for the red arrows and comments good and bad.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I haven't had a haircut in well over a year — and I look it. Mostly I've been buzzing it down for the Bruce Willis look but I'm planning a trip up the street to the Kurdish barber this week . . . after I master 'just a neat trim' in Kurdish.

 

John, are they doing that in Montreal too? 

 

Michael V, that is very odd behaviour, like standing up in a firefight. 

 

I have a haircut booked for first of September so should look just about normal by the sixteenth.😉

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only slightly odd.  April showers in August, weird weather at the moment.  🙃

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, Allan — I beat you by a day! I got an expert haircut that cost me just 8-pounds. In NYC, they charge $40 to $80 for a regular cut now. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ha, Allan — I beat you by a day! I got an expert haircut that cost me just 8-pounds. In NYC, they charge $40 to $80 for a regular cut now. 

 

😲 $80 for a man's haircut??? Daylight robbery!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2021 at 02:59, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

John, are they doing that in Montreal too? 

 

 

 

Mais oui. Here's some info from La Belle Province.

 

I have mixed feelings about the whole vaccine passport thing, but c'est la vie these days.

 

Still haven't found a new barber/hairdresser. 👨‍🦳

 

P.S. The going rate here at a barber for a no frills haircut is $25 CAN, but fancier joints can charge up to $100.

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

 

 

😲 $80 for a man's haircut??? Daylight robbery!!

 

It's NYC, so barbers probably do nighttime robbery as well -- the city that never sleeps.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ha, Allan — I beat you by a day! I got an expert haircut that cost me just 8-pounds. In NYC, they charge $40 to $80 for a regular cut now. 

 

Edo £8 is good for a decent haircut, it was decent wasn't it?

 

Mine cost £11.  My previous cutist (yes that is what he called himself) cost me £15 for a cut but he would take an hour over it.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Only slightly odd.  April showers in August, weird weather at the moment.  🙃

 

 

 

 Autumn temperatures too.🥶

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.