Web Hosting Query

sb photos

Question

For the last 15 years or so I've been dithering over having a web presence. I even bought a .com domain around 10 years ago and never did anything with it, and never renewed it. Now I'm looking to have a web site hosted, initially to hold a limited photo portfolio, but likely to be expanded later. I need to put this together fairly quickly. I have previously considered Krystal for hosting. Although they aren't the cheapest I may still use them. Does any forum member use Krystal, or if not, who would they recommend?

14 answers to this question

I have used ecowebhosting.co.uk, here in the UK, for many years. Not expensive and I have found their support to be very responsive. I use them for six or so sites and it costs me £12 a month plus the occasional domain registration fees. They also carbon offset their energy use.

I use Drupal as my content management system, after using Joomla for many years. I p[layed with Wordpress but decidied it wasn't for me.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

I use JustHost (owned by BlueHost) for my ecommerce site, but also have a setup using the free software "Piwigo" for my images.  I haven't updated it in ages, and really should, but you can sell prints if you want. I've never sold one, but haven't pushed the site and don't even use a separate domain for it, just a sub domain. This may push me to update and see if Piwigo has added anything new since I put this up 4 years ago, I'm sure it has.

http://jkmorganpets.com/jkmorganphotography/

Jill

Are you simply looking for a web hosting service or one purpose built for photographers ± ability to sell prints etc? The latter are more expensive but well worth it considering the time that one might spend building a professional-looking photography website from scratch. I use SmugMug now (the Power package which costs around £75 a year). They use Loxley for printing in the UK which is a big plus if selling prints direct (I don't currently sell direct) and have a private and passwordable gallery facility if shooting for clients. They have more expensive packages as well with additional features but I find this one is more than adequate for my purposes. It is very fast and easy to use once you get to the top of the initial learning curve. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Thanks to all that replied re web hosting. I now need to reconsider my current minimum requirements along with capability for later expansion if required, and of course cost.

Edited by sb photos

Zen Internet is a very well respected company for hosting. Photoshelter is well worth considering for a customisable off-the-shelf presence but there is a thread for that on the forum. Squarespace sites are also very good but I don't personally like their association with a certain provider of free stock photos.

Harry, I already use Zen for my broadband and phone. I’ll check them out later, though I doubt they will be economical. I did look at PhotoShelter, and was almost tempted by a 40% off deal, but I considered the long term costs.

Just looking at the costs for web hosting above. Why are we in the stock photo business?  Let's join the hosting community. Not that I know anything about it but could make an investment and hopefully have good %age returns.

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I did look at PhotoShelter, and was almost tempted by a 40% off deal, but I considered the long term costs.

I just use the $9..99/month Basic offering which for what I get is good value for me, and I can always upgrade should I find the extra features worth it.  I know  many on here were left high and dry by Photoshelter when they abandoned their stock photography option so there's a certain amount of antipathy towards them, and of course we are all still waiting for the new improved website offerings promised last Christmas.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Just looking at the costs for web hosting above. Why are we in the stock photo business?  Let's join the hosting community. Not that I know anything about it but could make an investment and hopefully have good %age returns.

Allan

Indeed, I make far more from hosting and maintaining a magazine web site, and writing the occasional blog post, for an editor/publisher friend than I do from stock photography.

You have got me thinking, perhaps I should widen the scope of my offering ...

🤔

• Like 1

I have websites (one Joomla and one Wordpress) as well as my main site which is done with Squarespace and a photoshelter backend. I know building sites very well and have done many over the years. IMHO using a service like Squarespace or Wix or similar is just so simple and easy to do without any worries of maintenance (although site scripts such as Joomla and Wordpress are easy to maintain thee days), server errors, script compatibilities, etc. They are the way to go IMHO.

9 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

I have websites (one Joomla and one Wordpress) as well as my main site which is done with Squarespace and a photoshelter backend. I know building sites very well and have done many over the years. IMHO using a service like Squarespace or Wix or similar is just so simple and easy to do without any worries of maintenance (although site scripts such as Joomla and Wordpress are easy to maintain thee days), server errors, script compatibilities, etc. They are the way to go IMHO.

I use Drupal and like WordPress and Joomla (used to use it) sophisticated websites can be built and mainatained without any coding; just by plugging in and configuring pre-written modules—Lego-like.  However, some knowledge of computer software and systems is needed to understand proper practice (testing, management, backup etc) especially with regard to security. It is knowledge that can be learned if one has a technical bent and is comfortable with managing and troubleshooting ones personal PC—if you need a third-party to configure or maintain a PC/laptop then building your own web site is probably not for you. You are putting a lot of assets and information out in a public space so need to be confident about security, especially if it includes ecommerce and/or contributors/customer details.

Just my 2pennorth. I would just add that I was a software developer initially and a IT system Project Director when I retired so I have some understanding of the challenges, and risks.

Squarespace here, I did my site in one sitting.  My site has changed a lot since I started it in 2013 but I’m very happy with it.  The support is good and adding content is simple. Good job, I’ve been blogging on it recently.