How lame is my portfolio?

Hanna_Fate

• Hanna_Fate changed the title to How lame is my portfolio?

Hi Hanna (Darla?)

Not going to comment on your vectors because I'm completely ignorant of this branch of stock photography. Just briefly (to get the ball rolling maybe!):

A lot of your stock pictures are underexposed:

Abandoned pottery shed, looking into a kiln.  Creepy empty building. - Stock Image

too many pills scattered from a beaker onto a blue background - Stock Image
Little dog on the beach, Maine - Stock Image

Your captions are far too short, e.g.:

overflowing with jelly beans - Image ID: 2F772YF

This does not really describe what the picture is showing.

View of the Grand Tetons from the wilderness, with painterly effect- Image ID: 2F4PHCW

Tetons  which country, which state? What is the picture actually showing? Trees, mountain? Etc....

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/captions-and-keywords-for-images/?section=8

"Before you start, think about the potential use of the image and what it’s likely to be sold for, the more accurately you describe your image, the more visibility it will have in customer searches, which will significantly increase your chance of making a sale."

Steve

p.s. a question. Do you ever sell the digitally manipulated pictures with a 'painterly effect' on Alamy? Seems it would be more suited to a personal or fine art website. I never see stock images like this published (but maybe I'm not looking in the right places!)

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

I agree with Steve. 

I'm in the US and it took me awhile to get that Alamy is a global company and sometimes people on the other side of the world need all the details, especially the location, in the caption to make sure they have the right photo for their picture needs. I've worked as a travel guidebook editor and the more detail in the captions for a place I've never been, or hadn't been to lately, made all of the difference. I think we at first think that the caption will be printed with the image, but that is generally not the case. The caption is more for the photo editor who wants to make sure they have the correct one. 

I randomly looked at the pottery barn photo and I would think that your first two keywords would be "kiln, abandoned kiln" and even though it is abandoned and "creepy", if the image was edited, it could be used as an editorial image of a kiln. 

Hi

Your images and captions are mostly very typical MS, they will have limited appeal here.  You are not dealing with an agency that is primarily design(er) clients, Alamy is mainly editorial stock so pictures typically need to illustrate something they would want to use in their media e.g a newspaper or book.

On 29/05/2021 at 10:03, Hanna_Fate said:

I've been doing stock for a long time, but it never hurts to get a reality check from time to time.  What do you think?

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/darlahallmark

In my opinion,  Lame.

Looked at the first page and did not want to see more.

Keep in mind that I am not a "stock" photographer,

Not meant to be insulting, just a direct answer to your direct question.

Chuck

• Like 3
  • Dislike 3

20 hours ago, kimba said:

I agree with Steve. 

I'm in the US and it took me awhile to get that Alamy is a global company and sometimes people on the other side of the world need all the details, especially the location, in the caption to make sure they have the right photo for their picture needs.

Good point, thank you!

• 3 months later...

Graphics, can't advsie.

As to photos:

Some like that borderline HDR look

that makes viewers wonder,

"is it HDR or is it real

it looks real, yet..."

try this if you dare:

in ACR or similar:

a. exposure slider add +0.8 to some dark images

b. contrast slider to +60
c. highlights slider to -80

d. shadows slider to +80

e. texture slider to +40

f. vibrance slider to +40

g. saturation slider to 0

some don't want viewers thinking

"its a flash photo"

so they use fill flash with a light touch

some don't want viewers thinking

"its an HDR photo"

so they use sliders with a light touch

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hanna,

Like Steve, I don't know nothin' about vectors. Unlike my pal, Steve, I see that some of your pics are effectively underexposed . . . and some are just underexposed. 

I think you have a good eye but you're a bit lazy when doing tags and caps. One nice snap you have says "bronze statute bla bla." We need to know who that statue represents. Or don't upload it. 

Stay with it.

Edo

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I agree with the first part of that comment . . . but "nothing else matters"? You can't be serious. 

I meant by that the content of the image, if someone is prepared to pay for it then nothing else matters.

• Like 2