Just out of curiosity ...

.. what percentage of your portfolio are pictures that have sold through Alamy? Counting once each picture that has sold, even if there have been multiple sales, I come out at around 4%. (96% yet to sell :( )

I imagined it might be a little higher and this seems rather dismal. But is it? Am I wasting time on pointless pics? Any trends discernible in those that have sold? Not that I can tell. Anyone care to share their experience?

Stu.

Put simply you're saying that you have sold about 90 pix over over six years - find that hard to believe having had a glance at your images which look very saleable - or have I not got my old head around your maths ?

I suspect that you - and most others-  make multiple sales from a smallish number of images so you probably have a goodly number of actual sales.

David you are correct but I have had several that have sold quite a few times. My portfolio has been very slow growing so if my total pics on sale was averaged out over those years it would be pretty low. (My excuse).

Stu.

Hi Colin. I make that about 20%. Very healthy!

I have a usable pocketable camera and it has produced some sales, though of course the DSLR is far superior. Maybe I should review my keywording. Thanks for your response.

Stu.

My present portfolio size is 14091 and I have sold 929 different images since 2004 which works out at about 6.6% I believe meaning that 93.4% have never sold.  Many are multiple sellers but I can't work out total sales because I can't be bothered to count all the refunds (but the question is about the % of images that sell anyway).  

Could do better I guess.

Pearl

Hi Stu.

I have only sold 831 since I started here in 2000.Probably about 40 are DOUBLERS.

Your images look GREAT to me but MAYBE the file size is a problem.

I have lots pass QC from the Canon G9 BUT none have sold!!!

I think buyers are still THINKING 48mbs...

Colin.

I have noticed occasional potential customers recently specifying 'File Size' (FS) in their search terms. However, I've no idea how prevalent this is overall.

Thanks all. I'll take some re-assurance from the wider reluctance to share on this one.

Just reluctant to share as I believe that my grand total of sales (since the first one in June), is statistically insignificant, and will (hopefully) bear no relation to how my figures will pan out in the long run!  Anyhoo: let's just say my figures are way below anything mentioned here thus far! :(

Archived