Help please Photoshop CC problem/iMac

As Mick has said it does help if you have someone to assist in laying the computer face down on a clean sheet or towel.

Allan

15 hours ago, MDM said:

Apple have designed it to be easy. If you pay for it and then see go how easy it is, you will probably kick yourself. I better be careful what I say here but my wife is about as tech confident as you and she changed the RAM in her iMac a while back. I did help her to turn it over on its face and watched over the process but she did it. 😀

Other half has just watched the video and his words "OMG is that how easy it is ! just order them and we will do it"!  I've been on Macupgrades and am confident I can order the correct items having entered the series number,  i.e. 2 x 16gb = 32gb.  I still have a few more questions if that's OK ....... do I leave the existing 8gb inside alongside the 2 x 16gb ?  If I do it myself and it doesn't then switch on, apart from having a major meltdown, what to do ?   Also is it correct to assume I will not lose anything on my iMac, not that there's much on it now ? Your wife is so lucky to be married to you 😁

Carol

14 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I upgraded my 27" 2017 iMac from 8GB to 32GB. It's very straightforward and makes a huge difference to performance.

Mark

Thank you Mark - am feeling a bit more encouraged, have a few more questions as above😄

Carol

15 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Also is it correct to assume I will not lose anything on my iMac, not that there's much on it now ?

You will not lose anything.  Nothing is stored on the memory chip sets, they are used while you have active programs and files open.

To your other question, I am pretty sure you will take out and leave out the two existing chip sets and replace with the new ones....but someone using Mac could confirm that.

21 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Other half has just watched the video and his words "OMG is that how easy it is ! just order them and we will do it"!  I've been on Macupgrades and am confident I can order the correct items having entered the series number,  i.e. 2 x 16gb = 32gb.  I still have a few more questions if that's OK ....... do I leave the existing 8gb inside alongside the 2 x 16gb ?  If I do it myself and it doesn't then switch on, apart from having a major meltdown, what to do ?   Also is it correct to assume I will not lose anything on my iMac, not that there's much on it now ? Your wife is so lucky to be married to you 😁

Carol

I will let her know that Carol 😀

You can keep the existing 2x4 sticks but you would need to check the manual for your particular iMac to see the exact recommended configuration in the four slots. I can check how my wife’s Mac is configured but it might be different. MacUpgrades are really helpful so you could check with them on the phone if you have any trouble figuring it out. 

10 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

You will not lose anything.  Nothing is stored on the memory chip sets, they are used while you have active programs and files open.

To your other question, I am pretty sure you will take out and leave out the two existing chip sets and replace with the new ones....but someone using Mac could confirm that.

Thank you Michael.

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

I will let her know that Carol 😀

You can keep the existing 2x4 sticks but you would need to check the manual for your particular iMac to see the exact recommended configuration in the four slots. I can check how my wife’s Mac is configured but it might be different. MacUpgrades are really helpful so you could check with them on the phone if you have any trouble figuring it out. 

Ok I will do that, they also have a very useful online chat so will do one or the other....

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ok so I've had a chat with them and the chap said to keep the existing ones in there and add the 32GB thus giving 40GB which should be plenty.  This was via their online chat very helpful😄  

Carol

What I meant was how you should configure the RAM as the capacities are mixed.

I don't know if it matters for the 2017 27" iMac (which is what I presume you have) but the advice for the 2020 27" iMac is:

"If your DIMMs are mixed in capacity, minimise the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4) when possible"

That would mean 4 16 4 16 (or 16 4 16 4) and that is what I was suggesting you check in the manual for your machine. 

EDIT - I don't think the configuration matters as there is nothing in the 2017 27" iMac manual about it.

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

What I meant was how you should configure the RAM as the capacities are mixed.

I don't know if it matters for the 2017 27" iMac (which is what I presume you have) but the advice for the 2020 27" iMac is:

"If your DIMMs are mixed in capacity, minimise the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4) when possible"

That would mean 4 16 4 16 (or 16 4 16 4) and that is what I was suggesting you check in the manual for your machine. 

EDIT - I don't think the configuration matters as there is nothing in the 2017 27" iMac manual about it.

Looks like Carol's iMac can take up to 64 GB memory according to Other World Computing/MacSales.  They have videos.  I put my two 8 GBs in adjacent slots and the two older 4 GBs in the second two slots.  8 8 then  4 4, in pairs.  Bought my memory and Thunderbolt One drive from them. 

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/imac-2017-27-inch

Edited by MizBrown
more URLS

34 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Looks like Carol's iMac can take up to 64 GB memory according to Other World Computing/MacSales.  They have videos.  I put my two 8 GBs in adjacent slots and the two older 4 GBs in the second two slots.  8 8 then  4 4, in pairs.  Bought my memory and Thunderbolt One drive from them. 

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/imac-2017-27-inch

Yes I don't think it is a problem. The instructions for installing memory with different capacities is different for the 2020 27" iMac though. That does say minimise differences between the two channels so 4-16-4-16 or 16-4-16-4 etc.

Yes the maximum is 64GB, so if I keep the existing 8GB I will have 40GB.

Also watched the video again and no doubt will again😉 The major part that worries me is turning it upside down on resting it on a sheet, I'm not sure whether that would suffice, I was thinking something thicker like a duvet.  

Was just about to post the link I found for the Apple support site but just seen it's the same one you have provided so thank you again, I have bookmarked that now along with the video tutorial😉

Thank you again everyone for all your help...

Carol

6 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

turning it upside down on resting it on a sheet, I'm not sure whether that would suffice, I was thinking something thicker like a duvet.  

I use a pillow (HP Touchsmart, also an all-in-one).

Isn’t there some warning out there about unplugging the computer for awhile before messing with it to allow electrical charge to dissipate? I think that memory scratching my brain was something I read years ago.

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I use a pillow (HP Touchsmart, also an all-in-one).

Good idea, thank you - maybe a duvet would be overkill😄

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Isn’t there some warning out there about unplugging the computer for awhile before messing with it to allow electrical charge to dissipate? I think that memory scratching my brain was something I read years ago.

Yes correct Betty and thank you for reminding me - I've just re-read the support instructions and they say to leave for at least 10 minutes after unplugging etc., I think I will print them out just in case I need them😉

Carol

3 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Good idea, thank you - maybe a duvet would be overkill😄

Yes correct Betty and thank you for reminding me - I've just re-read the support instructions and they say to leave for at least 10 minutes after unplugging etc., I think I will print them out just in case I need them😉

Carol

You’re welcome. I often get caught up in the doing of something and forget things.

1 minute ago, MizBrown said:

I think I used a towel when I did the memory add on mine, something thicker than a sheet. 

Lots of good ideas - if I do it maybe bubble wrap on it first - not that I'm getting neurotic (much)😉

Strangely it's been running pretty quick today....

Carol

Lots of good ideas - if I do it maybe bubble wrap on it first - not that I'm getting neurotic (much)😉

Strangely it's been running pretty quick today....

Carol

Don’t you know it’s like the kid whose fever disappears the second the doctor walks in...

Hey - I am now the proud owner of 40GB of RAM !  Massive thanks to all of you, I now need a large glass of wine and will raise a glass to you all🍷

Method used - ironing board covered with at least 3 layers of bubble wrap then a towel😄 Had watched video another 3 times and had it going while OH was doing it and printed instructions also.

Carol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hey - I am now the proud owner of 40GB of RAM !  Massive thanks to all of you, I now need a large glass of wine and will raise a glass to you all🍷

Method used - ironing board covered with at least 3 layers of bubble wrap then a towel😄 Had watched video another 3 times and had it going while OH was doing it and printed instructions also.

Carol

Great Carol. I knew you (HE) could do it. 😂

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Great Carol. I knew you (HE) could do it. 😂

Ha Ha yes, if it was me I would have no doubt put them in the wrong way 😁

Photoshop CC is really super fast now.  I hadn't actually realised it had slowed down so much!  I am a very happy Easter bunny😄 and again thanks to you and everyone on here for teaching me about RAM - I have a little more understanding of it now 😄

Carol

• Love 2

Ha Ha yes, if it was me I would have no doubt put them in the wrong way 😁

Photoshop CC is really super fast now.  I hadn't actually realised it had slowed down so much!  I am a very happy Easter bunny😄 and again thanks to you and everyone on here for teaching me about RAM - I have a little more understanding of it now 😄

Carol

Great news. Well done.

For future reference (and others reading this thread) I wouldn't use ordinary bubble wrap as it risks generating static electricity which isn't good when handling micro-chips. Cotton towel is better.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 2