Help please Photoshop CC problem/iMac

Having a problem with PS today. I  started processing some images and the following error message appeared......Your system has run out of application memory - to avoid problems with your computer quit any applications you are not using.  I was using the following applications at the time:  Adobe Bridge 2021/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Finder.  I managed to save a couple of images.  The computer then shut itself down and restarted.  I then moved virtually everything off the desktop onto a hard drive though there wasn't much on there anyway.  The majority of my images are on external hard drives, very little on the actual iMac.  So I'm feeling pretty stressed and not sure what to do.  As always any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Carol

First thing. Go to About this Mac and check how much RAM is showing. If it is less than it should be then it could be a hardware problem. If it is as expected then run Apple Diagnostics as a check. If that shows nothing then check how much memory is allocated to Photoshop in Photoshop Prefs. The computer restarting like that could be one of a number of things. I’ve had it happen because of overheating. 

Edit. In the event that there is a hardware problem, I can recommend a very reliable company for diagnostics and repair if necessary. 

Edited by MDM

Many thanks, I've gone into About this Mac, it's showing 906.74GB available of 1.03 TB, then gone into memory showing 2 x 4GB  2 memory slots in use 2 available both showing as empty.  I've not done Apple Diagnostics as a check yet.  Was wondering if I should go into disk utility and run First Aid ?

Carol

20 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Many thanks, I've gone into About this Mac, it's showing 906.74GB available of 1.03 TB, then gone into memory showing 2 x 4GB  2 memory slots in use 2 available both showing as empty.  I've not done Apple Diagnostics as a check yet.  Was wondering if I should go into disk utility and run First Aid ?

Carol

Is that right for the memory?  If you've got two slots in use and two available while you had four slots in use, then that's a memory problem.  Also, it's better to keep about half your hard drive free, and store photos on external drives.  My Macintosh HD shows 766.2 GB free out of a terrabyte drive.    I have 24 GB of memory installed in 4 slots.  8 GB is low for Photoshop.  Other thing is running TimeMachine on your main HD -- that really is better on an external drive. 

Failing memory and failing drives can cause all sorts of interesting problems.  

Many thanks again, I'm just reading what it says when I go into About this Mac and click on Storage and then Memory.  I am absolutely the least tekkie person there is when it comes to computers/technology.  Yes I keep all my images on external hard drives except for one or two folders if I need or am working on them.  Now all except a couple of folders are on the iMac.  I've emptied the trash bin also.  I'v just spent the last hour or so editing a few images and it seems ok.  Having said that I'm still not convinced all is well so I will have to see how it goes.  I'm a great believer in .....if it ain't broke don't fix it though like I said I'm not convinced all is well here.  However, when it was playing up earlier I thought I showed great restraint in not throwing my toys out of the pram and pulling out every conceivable plug like I have been known to do - instead I went downstairs made another strong coffee before going back up to see what had happened🙏.  

Carol

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I would guess this might be simple - your disk was over full. Photoshop uses space on the hard drive as virtual RAM when it runs out of real RAM (8GB is very low nowadays for Photoshop and I think you are running Big Sur). As a first step, clear out your hard drive so that it is only 3/4 full (or go further as MizBrown suggests). Running the Apple Diagnostics is still a good idea. It is not harmful and will give you more confidence in dealing with problems. If there was a RAM problem, then it might find it. Bad RAM can cause crashes as can failing drives but using the principle of Ockham's Razor, I would guess that the over full drive may have been the culprit. 

Her disk has 900gb free according to OP, so almost totally empty hard drive.  I found 8gb RAM was just not enough for CC anymore.  I run it on my laptop with 8 gb when away and it crawls if I try to open more than 2 images at a time.

Jill

47 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Her disk has 900gb free according to OP, so almost totally empty hard drive.  I found 8gb RAM was just not enough for CC anymore.  I run it on my laptop with 8 gb when away and it crawls if I try to open more than 2 images at a time.

Jill

You are right Jill. I stand corrected 😀. I misread it. I will delete the post. 

EDIT: I did advise you to get 16GB of RAM minimum a little while back by the way 😀. Maybe it was a desktop but the same applies - minimum 16GB for Photoshop plus a decent graphics card preferably,

Edited by MDM

Thank you again everyone, so if all else fails if I get what you are saying is that I need to increase the memory/RAM to a minimum of 16GB.  I find it strange that I would have to do this even though there is barely anything on this iMac but I am guessing it's because technology moves on so quickly with Apple and everything else nowadays that this would account for it.  Hmmm - next question is if it does turn out to be that you are correct and you normally are, is this an expensive job for someone to do?

I really appreciate all your input and apologies for being such a complete airhead🙃

Carol

23 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again everyone, so if all else fails if I get what you are saying is that I need to increase the memory/RAM to a minimum of 16GB.  I find it strange that I would have to do this even though there is barely anything on this iMac but I am guessing it's because technology moves on so quickly with Apple and everything else nowadays that this would account for it.  Hmmm - next question is if it does turn out to be that you are correct and you normally are, is this an expensive job for someone to do?

I really appreciate all your input and apologies for being such a complete airhead🙃

Carol

Carol, you may already know this but a great way to understand RAM/memory vs internal hard drive size, is to think of the hard drive as file cabinets, where you store all your photos, other documents and programs. And think of your RAM as counter space. Anytime you have a program running, you are using RAM and every photo you have open is using RAM.  PS uses quite a bit RAM and if your photos are large files, they can use a lot too.  Sort of like trying to cook or bake with all your gadgets out at the same time, covering every inch of your countertop.

20 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

RAM has nothing to do with storage on disk. It is memory that is used by a program when it is running and Photoshop has always been notoriously memory hungry.  As RAM is generally cheap nowadays, it would probably be worth your while upgrading your RAM to 16GB. The Adobe minimum and recommended specs for Photoshop are 8GB and 16GB respectively. It is easy to change RAM on most iMacs - you just pop a slot on the back of the machine and insert but it does depend on the model. You would need to check the manual for your particular iMac. You would certainly be a lot more comfortable with 16GB if you want to have several files open and/or if you are using layers etc and you might find it speeds things up. This is even more important if you are using a high MP camera such as a D850 or the like as the larger the file size the more RAM is used by Photoshop.

MacUpgrades is a good place to get memory (RAM) and other Mac parts or do diagnostics if necessary. They are based south of Cambridge and will install the RAM for an extra charge if needed. 

My iMac came with 8 GB memory and I added two 8 GB sticks for 24 GB.  Also set up a scratch space for Photoshop to use in preferences.  It's always going to be faster in memory than in swapping in and out of a drive.  Sorry about the confusion with the space available on the hard drive. 

I think my iMac came with 8GB memory. (2 x 4GB sticks). Recently upgraded to it's max of 32GB. 4 x8GB sticks).

Allan

Thank you again all of you, I have read everything you have written and I think it's started to sink in just a tiny bit and naturally what you say all makes complete sense.  Yes my iMac was born with 8gb of ram in 2017 - where those 5 years have gone I don't know.  I still refer to it as new !  When I got it, I was still using CS6 on my previous iMac but this wouldn't install on the new one, I guess technology had moved on so much that the then operating system on the new one didn't want the old CS6, so then came CC.  Also in 2017 I didn't have the camera body I have now, so yes it all makes perfect sense, different camera, larger files as MDM said.   

As said when cooking it's like having everything out on my worktop at once and yes I am messy in the kitchen !  However since I've had this iMac I have really tried to be a lot more organised with files and folders and can say I'm happy with my system.  Maybe Big Sur also took up more memory.  

I will certainly bear in mind Macupgrades though I do have someone reasonably close to home an Apple Authorised who has always sorted out my problems previously so I'm sure if I need extra RAM he can sort it but always handy to know of others.  I wouldn't even contemplate trying to install RAM myself.  

I've managed to do some processing this morning and thankfully all seemed to be working well and actually very quick and nothing crashed  though I will still make inquiries as to extra RAM as you suggest.  Interesting you mention 16GB of RAM, would it not be best to have 32GB if that was an option ?

Thank you all again, very much appreciated....

Carol

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Interesting you mention 16GB of RAM, would it not be best to have 32GB if that was an option ?

Definitely! I've got a 2017 iMAC and 32GB RAM and you will not believe the difference it makes!!!

If you can ...do it!

Phil

Just now, Phil Crean said:

Definitely! I've got a 2017 iMAC and 32GB RAM and you will not believe the difference it makes!!!

If you can ...do it!

Phil

Ok thanks Phil I will make inquiries.  Did you do yourself ?

I have my old iMac for backup it has nothing on it since the hard drive was replaced though I did reinstall CS6 on it - no way will it take CC, but now wondering whether it will take larger camera files - oh well no doubt I will find out if the need arises... 

Carol

6 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I have my old iMac for backup it has nothing on it since the hard drive was replaced though I did reinstall CS6 on it - no way will it take CC, but now wondering whether it will take larger camera files - oh well no doubt I will find out if the need arises... 

Carol

No... I asked for it when I bought the machine so it was there from new, but my previous one had 16GB so I did notice a big increase in speed handling large files.

I would have had a go myself as that works out cheaper, but here in Tenerife supplies are scarce and lots of amazon suppliers won't send stuff due to stupid/complicated import regulations...

If you have a knowledgable local guy they should be able to do it easily...

Good luck.

Phil

5 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

I run CC on my 2012 old Acer laptop, which is a very basic laptop.  As mentioned, it runs real slow if I try to do more than 2 images at a time, but it does the job in the end.  It does run Windows 10.  I'm not sure about Mac laptops and what OS you need for the current CC.

Installing RAM is very easy.  I have 16gb currently, and it runs quite well, but I have upgraded my camera to a Canon 90D where the files are 32mp as opposed to my 7D's 18mp. Haven't tried uploading the new larger files on the laptop. Probably be down to one image at a time.  When Covid is finally over, will get a new laptop, but not going to bother till then.  Don't see many large attended trade shows coming up for quite awhile yet.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan
Confused GB with MP

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again all of you, I have read everything you have written and I think it's started to sink in just a tiny bit and naturally what you say all makes complete sense.  Yes my iMac was born with 8gb of ram in 2017 - where those 5 years have gone I don't know.  I still refer to it as new !  When I got it, I was still using CS6 on my previous iMac but this wouldn't install on the new one, I guess technology had moved on so much that the then operating system on the new one didn't want the old CS6, so then came CC.  Also in 2017 I didn't have the camera body I have now, so yes it all makes perfect sense, different camera, larger files as MDM said.   

As said when cooking it's like having everything out on my worktop at once and yes I am messy in the kitchen !  However since I've had this iMac I have really tried to be a lot more organised with files and folders and can say I'm happy with my system.  Maybe Big Sur also took up more memory.  

I will certainly bear in mind Macupgrades though I do have someone reasonably close to home an Apple Authorised who has always sorted out my problems previously so I'm sure if I need extra RAM he can sort it but always handy to know of others.  I wouldn't even contemplate trying to install RAM myself.  

I've managed to do some processing this morning and thankfully all seemed to be working well and actually very quick and nothing crashed  though I will still make inquiries as to extra RAM as you suggest.  Interesting you mention 16GB of RAM, would it not be best to have 32GB if that was an option ?

Thank you all again, very much appreciated....

Carol

Cookery aside, a more technical analogy that should be easy for a photographer to understand is that RAM is like the buffer in your camera. If you shoot a long sequence the buffer fills up and you have to wait until it writes the files off to the memory card (equivalent to your hard drive) before you can take any more shots.  If anyone has gone from a D800 or D810 to a D850, then they will know exactly what I mean. 

I always get more RAM than I think I need at the time of purchase of a computer as this gives some degree of future proofing. New programs and operating systems always need more RAM. It is extremely important to max the RAM if buying a Mac laptop as they are no longer upgradeable for RAM. Photoshop has always been memory hungry anyway. Once it runs out of RAM it starts using virtual memory (aka scratch disk) on the hard drive and really slows down. So this is nothing new and you will get by on 8GB as long as you don’t have huge files (e.g. big panoramas) or too many open at once. 

You have to upgrade in matched pairs so you could get 2x8 or 2x16 (unless you get rid of the existing 2x4). Your authorised dealer should be able to provide 3rd party RAM as Apple RAM is usually incredibly expensive. Best of luck. 

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Carol, I didi my upgrade myself. Just took things slowly and carefully. Worked first time on switching back on.  There are online demos on how to do it.

Allan

• Love 1

For iMac, adding more memory is fairly uncomplicated.  Should be instructions on line.  But if you're really not comfortable and can get to a shop, take it up to 32 MB.   My iMac is late 2015 and the graphics card only has 2 MB of memory.   If your graphics card has more than 2 MB of memory ("About this Mac" has this information), then you're good to go for a few more years. 

16 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

For iMac, adding more memory is fairly uncomplicated.  Should be instructions on line.  But if you're really not comfortable and can get to a shop, take it up to 32 MB.   My iMac is late 2015 and the graphics card only has 2 MB of memory.   If your graphics card has more than 2 MB of memory ("About this Mac" has this information), then you're good to go for a few more years. 

Another bad maths day MizB. 😃 

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Cookery aside, a more technical analogy that should be easy for a photographer to understand is that RAM is like the buffer in your camera. If you shoot a long sequence the buffer fills up and you have to wait until it writes the files off to the memory card (equivalent to your hard drive) before you can take any more shots.  If anyone has gone from a D800 or D810 to a D850, then they will know exactly what I mean. 

I always get more RAM than I think I need at the time of purchase of a computer as this gives some degree of future proofing. New programs and operating systems always need more RAM. It is extremely important to max the RAM if buying a Mac laptop as they are no longer upgradeable for RAM. Photoshop has always been memory hungry anyway. Once it runs out of RAM it starts using virtual memory (aka scratch disk) on the hard drive and really slows down. So this is nothing new and you will get by on 8GB as long as you don’t have huge files (e.g. big panoramas) or too many open at once. 

You have to upgrade in matched pairs so you could get 2x8 or 2x16 (unless you get rid of the existing 2x4). Your authorised dealer should be able to provide 3rd party RAM as Apple RAM is usually incredibly expensive. Best of luck. 

Thank you again, I will give my dealer a call next week after the Easter break.  I don't generally do big panoramas or lots of layers and rarely have lots of images open at one time.    If I do upgrade the RAM I may as well go for the 2 x 16.  It's been ok so far today but not confident it will stay that way so will get it sorted.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Carol, I didi my upgrade myself. Just took things slowly and carefully. Worked first time on switching back on.  There are online demos on how to do it.

Allan

I watched a video online earlier via Macupgrades.  I must say it looked relatively straightforward, but I still broke out in a cold sweat just watching it and the thought of turning my iMac upside down scares the life out of me so I will leave to those who know what they are doing.  I envy those who can do these things themselves so hats off to you all !

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again, I will give my dealer a call next week after the Easter break.  I don't generally do big panoramas or lots of layers and rarely have lots of images open at one time.    If I do upgrade the RAM I may as well go for the 2 x 16.  It's been ok so far today but not confident it will stay that way so will get it sorted.

I watched a video online earlier via Macupgrades.  I must say it looked relatively straightforward, but I still broke out in a cold sweat just watching it and the thought of turning my iMac upside down scares the life out of me so I will leave to those who know what they are doing.  I envy those who can do these things themselves so hats off to you all !

Carol

Apple have designed it to be easy. If you pay for it and then see go how easy it is, you will probably kick yourself. I better be careful what I say here but my wife is about as tech confident as you and she changed the RAM in her iMac a while back. I did help her to turn it over on its face and watched over the process but she did it. 😀

Edited by MDM