Jump to content

Anyone played with "Super Resolution" A New Adobe Camera Raw feature?


Recommended Posts

Just wondering if anyone has played with this:

 

Adobe Camera Raw now includes a new feature that will be coming soon to both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic. It’s called Super Resolution and it’s essentially a machine learning AI-powered method of upscaling that offers massive image upscaling benefits at the push of a button. Well, you have to push it a couple of times and check a box in a dialogue, but then it’s at the push of a button.

 

Sounds interesting.

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a quick play with it.  The crop on the left is a normal bicubic enlargement by the same amount as in super Resolution (x2 in each dimension).   The middle crop is Super Resolution without enhancement, which shows a slight improvement, but the enhanced version seems to introduce a lot of artifacts.

 

I might use it without enhancement if it's really critical though I doubt that will be very often, if at all (certainly with my present 6 year old computer anyway - it said it would take 5 minutes to render).  I think the enhanced option would guarantee a QC fail at Alamy.

 

51051717648_221a612dc9_h.jpg

 

 

Here's the source image - the screen shots above were using the original raw file.....

 

Edit - just to add:  original res. is 6000x4000 px, Nikon D7200

 

metrolink-tram-at-the-barton-dock-road-s

Edited by Vincent Lowe
To add uncropped image
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Just had a quick play with it.  The crop on the left is a normal bicubic enlargement by the same amount as in super Resolution (x2 in each dimension).   The middle crop is Super Resolution without enhancement, which shows a slight improvement, but the enhanced version seems to introduce a lot of artifacts.

 

I might use it without enhancement if it's really critical though I doubt that will be very often, if at all (certainly with my present 6 year old computer anyway - it said it would take 5 minutes to render).  I think the enhanced option would guarantee a QC fail at Alamy.

 

 

51052327416_2af1479106_h.jpg

 

 

Here's the source image - the screen shots above were using the original raw file.....

 

metrolink-tram-at-the-barton-dock-road-s

Thanks Vincent,

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

His example of the flower is jaw-droppingly awful, or am I missing something?

The bottom one, the 'before', is ghastly, I have an X-E1 and I've been trying to see the worm effect and failed so far, never seen anything like that. Given that the top 'after' shot is at 400% it looks like a major improvement. Martin Evening is very much an Adobe ambassador but even so he finds it hard to praise 'Enhance details' (though it is very good for Fuji RAW files, but not as good as Iridient Developer, thank you Phil), He seems to think a lot of Super Resolution though, not enough to make me subscribe though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

The bottom one, the 'before', is ghastly, I have an X-E1 and I've been trying to see the worm effect and failed so far, never seen anything like that. Given that the top 'after' shot is at 400% it looks like a major improvement. Martin Evening is very much an Adobe ambassador but even so he finds it hard to praise 'Enhance details' (though it is very good for Fuji RAW files, but not as good as Iridient Developer, thank you Phil), He seems to think a lot of Super Resolution though, not enough to make me subscribe though.

It wasn't clear that that was the "before" example. In my book "before" goes first. But I wouldn't consider it acceptable anyway.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

But the 'ghastly' one actually says 'Enhanced' on the preview - so that's the 'after' one surely?

I don't have that option so can't play with it. However the lower image exhibits very extreme 'worm effects' so it's hard to believe that this could be 'after' and similarly I can't see how the top image could be the same as the bottom one except with less magnification. it's not clear certainly, however the post is more about the 'Super resolution' function.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same 'worm effects' when I tried it - see the screen shots in my first post in this thread - so I can certainly believe it was 'after' so-called enhancement.

 

But I agree that Martin Evening's review isn't clear.  Frankly, I don't understand his conclusions.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

But I agree that Martin Evening's review isn't clear.  Frankly, I don't understand his conclusions.

It is odd, maybe some injudicious sub-editing got in the way, or lack of space in the magazine meant that the 'before' shot hit the cutting room floor when all presumably might have been revealed. 'Enhanced detail' is however definitely recommended as a solution to the previously dodgy processing of Fuji RAW fills in Lightroom & Photoshop on certain types of image, it may even have been the reason they introduced it since they're hardly likely to admit that their treatment of Fuji files up to then had been less than perfect.

 

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2019/2/lightroom-introduces-enhance-details-finally-improves-fuji-x-trans-raw-conversion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've also experimented with the "super-resolution" and found that, like many "AI based features", the results can be unpredictable. Sometimes it seems to work well (I was amazed at the first couple of images I tried). But, on other images there's no benefit and problem (artefacts) maybe introduced. And, when it does work, the image needs checking carefully all over to check it hasn't caused problems in some areas. The beauty of the conventional resize using bicubic etc. is the results are more predictable. They do what they say on the tin.

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.