Alamy and the photos

Jose Decio Molaro

Question

I'm a little while at Alam and I see looking at other microstocks what caught my attention in the photos of Alamy are the photos of city streets, places like stores, supermarkets, I found it very interesting, but from the point of view of sales, for those who can sell these types of photos? Books? Advertising in any way?
I found it interesting .. if anyone can write about it, because here in Brazil there are many interesting places excluding Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Microstock tends to be subscription driven, with low prices generally for individual photographs.  Discussions go back and forth about whether it is better to sell one photo many times for less than US $1 or to sell a photo for between $3 (low average) to a couple of hundred dollars (high average) with something like between $20 and $200 being common.

Thanks MizBrown, I really didn't know this kind of business.

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

José, essa diferença existe apenas para um pequeno grupo de veteranos. A maior parte do mundo vê apenas "microstock" ou "microstocks" como a palavra em inglês para o banco de imagens de negócios coletivamente. 

Claro, a próxima grande e óbvia pergunta é "sou um daqueles veteranos?"

I've seen comments here on Alamy about microstocks, but I never thought there was such a difference, as you said, generally the image banks are known as microstocks.
I think I got to see a link at the time, but I saw that they are very specific photos and that border on perfection, although a little old, I haven't got there yet ...

1 hour ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Sorry, but the Brazilian people are known as follows: Brazil, a country without memory!

I love geography and travel.  I do not see many pictures of Brazil when I look at your images. Your pictures  do not give me any impression of your location. What is it like there? What do people do? What jobs? What interests? What makes your town interesting to somebody in another part of the world?

Take pictures of the place where you live - the people, the buildings, the countryside, industry, factories. You are there and that is your advantage.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Microstock tends to be subscription driven, with low prices generally for individual photographs.  Discussions go back and forth about whether it is better to sell one photo many times for less than US $1 or to sell a photo for between $3 (low average) to a couple of hundred dollars (high average) with something like between $20 and $200 being common.

And some will say it was novel to sell an image for 25 cents for what seemed to be a normal usage.  it is a complicated matter. 

37 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I love geography and travel.  I do not see many pictures of Brazil when I look at your images. Your pictures  do not give me any impression of your location. What is it like there? What do people do? What jobs? What interests? What makes your town interesting to somebody in another part of the world?

Take pictures of the place where you live - the people, the buildings, the countryside, industry, factories. You are there and that is your advantage.

Yes I will take more pictures of the cities, including my city that has 200 thousand inhabitants and places, because the Brazil they know and Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, I am in the State of Sao Paulo, many ask for pictures of the people, our cultra and well diverse, my region has a lot of japanese people, i avoid photographing people because of model permits.

40 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Amo geografia e viagens. Não vejo muitas fotos do Brasil quando olho as suas imagens. Suas fotos não me dão nenhuma impressão de sua localização. Como é lá? O que as pessoas fazem? Quais empregos? Quais interesses? O que torna sua cidade interessante para alguém em outra parte do mundo?

Tire fotos do lugar onde você mora - as pessoas, os edifícios, o campo, a indústria, as fábricas. Você está lá e essa é a sua vantagem.

We have shopping malls here, Burger King, Mcdonalds, Nestle factory ... to take good pictures, even with the Covent quarantine

7 hours ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

We have shopping malls here, Burger King, Mcdonalds, Nestle factory ... to take good pictures, even with the Covent quarantine

You only need model releases if Brazilian law prohibits photos of people for commercial or editorial use without releases.  I believe France has stricter laws on this than the US, Nicaragua, or Great Britain, so if you can't photograph in public without permission, that's a problem.

If people are licensing/buying photos for travel promotion, they can be interested in less well-known destinations, but I suspect that they won't be as interested in Burger King and McDonald's fast food places.  Business magazines might be.  

10 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Você só precisa de autorização de modelo se a lei brasileira proibir fotos de pessoas para uso comercial ou editorial sem autorização. Eu acredito que a França tem leis mais rígidas sobre isso do que os EUA, Nicarágua ou Grã-Bretanha, então se você não pode fotografar em público sem permissão, isso é um problema.

Se as pessoas estão licenciando / comprando fotos para promoção de viagens, elas podem estar interessadas em destinos menos conhecidos, mas eu suspeito que elas não estarão tão interessadas em locais de fast food Burger King e McDonald's. Revistas de negócios podem ser.  

Generally the laws do not change much in the countries, here we now have in fashion the General Data Protection Law (LGPD) is old, but it came back because of Facebook and Instagram.Nestle factory photos have already been requested at Alamy

• Love 1

On 19/02/2021 at 10:43, Brian Yarvin said:

Jose, esse tipo de foto é uma espécie de especialidade do Alamy. Eles estão aqui porque Alamy foi a primeira agência de fotos a aceitá-los em grande número. 

Você deveria filmar no Brasil? Sim! Eles formam um pequeno registro histórico de quem você é e de onde você vem. E eles poderiam fazer algumas vendas também. (embora raramente o façam para mim) Isso traz um segundo ponto; você precisa atirar muito mais do que isso para ter sucesso! Continue fotografando novos assuntos e continue olhando o que é publicado.

Photography for me is a hobby, to take the stress, if it comes with money, the better. Let's live life! Photograph, do what we like ... that's it! Filming is no longer my area.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Photography for me is a hobby, to take the stress, if it comes with money, the better. Let's live life! Photograph, do what we like ... that's it! Filming is no longer my area.

That's a positive attitude. It isn't all about money, which is good thing these days. 😁

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's a positive attitude. It isn't all about money, which is good thing these days. 😁

Yes very positive but he started the thread by asking about what sells. 

To be honest I don't think that there is very much in his portfolio that is saleable. 

58 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes very positive but he started the thread by asking about what sells. 

To be honest I don't think that there is very much in his portfolio that is saleable. 

I'm starting to feel the same way about a lot of my own images (although I somehow manage to keep doing OK), so I don't like to pronounce judgment on other people's work.. That said, I think that Jose has been getting some good advice about what types of images license on Alamy.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Sim, muito positivo, mas ele começou o tópico perguntando sobre o que vende. 

Para ser honesto, não acho que haja muito em seu portfólio que seja vendável. 

no problem ... one day i get there .. i still learn ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

no problem ... one day i get there .. i still learn ...

My own photos have been too dark and I've tried to fix that (at least one of my cameras needs plus exposure compensation).  What I'm seeing with yours is a need for more pop -- and that's both focusing better and composing better, and adding more contrast and color saturation.   If you're shooting jpegs only, perhaps work with raw files.  Post processing is just part of it (and yeah, I know how weird Adobe can be for Latin American users, but DXO and some others aren't).  Also, for people shots, get closer to the people (I also sometimes fail to do that). 

• Thanks 1

Jose, to illustrate about stores, markets, and such, I just sold an image of a storefront of a business that happens to be in the news these days. Many times, you can take a lot of pictures of this type and they just sit there.....until a news story breaks about one and yours is situated to be in the race.

Maybe a chain decides to close 1/3 of their stores. Maybe an important CEO is fired and a new one is hired. Maybe a business goes bankrupt. On and on, so whoever is writing the news or story needs a picture to go with it. I find those images are worth taking. 
Betty

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Minhas próprias fotos estão muito escuras e tentei consertar isso (pelo menos uma das minhas câmeras precisa de compensação de exposição). O que estou vendo com o seu é a necessidade de mais pop - e isso é tanto focalizar melhor e compor melhor, como adicionar mais contraste e saturação de cor. Se você estiver filmando apenas JPEGs, talvez trabalhe com arquivos raw. O pós-processamento é apenas parte disso (e sim, eu sei o quão estranho o Adobe pode ser para usuários latino-americanos, mas DXO e alguns outros não). Além disso, para fotos de pessoas, aproxime-se delas (às vezes também não consigo fazer isso). 

Thanks MizBrown, I also saw that my photos were very sepia ... the error is even in the white balance, I will try to improve it, since I don't use photoshop, I use another simpler program. Thanks

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Jose, para ilustrar sobre lojas, mercados e coisas do gênero, acabei de vender uma imagem de uma vitrine de um negócio que está no noticiário hoje em dia. Muitas vezes, você pode tirar muitas fotos desse tipo e elas ficarem paradas ... até que uma notícia sobre uma delas seja lançada e a sua esteja prestes a entrar na corrida.

Talvez uma rede decida fechar 1/3 de suas lojas. Talvez um CEO importante seja demitido e um novo seja contratado. Talvez uma empresa vá à falência. E assim por diante, então quem está escrevendo a notícia ou a história precisa de uma foto para acompanhá-la. Acho que vale a pena tirar essas imagens. 
Betty

Thanks Betty LaRue, due to Pandemic I have left little, and I will pay more attention to editorial photos, at this time and important, there are many things happening, but as they must have accompanied Ford closed its factories in Brazil, also Nikon, Sony, .. etc...

3 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Er, no.  Alamy is NOT microstock...

Good morning Colblimp, in some parts of the world, like in Brazil, Image Bank and microstock are the same thing, here they appear to us when you search all as microstock, sometimes confuses, that is, it is not lack of respect, in my case and lack of knowledge of this market.

• Love 1
  • Like 1