Jump to content

Anyone got a time machine?


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

Slowly working through my Dad's and my own vast slide collection to cherry pick some for scanning and archive uploads. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have been born into a military family, and joined the Army myself. I spent the 50's in Malta, the 60's in Aden and Kenya, the 70's in Cyprus. (Dad's slides) My own career took me to Germany, Cyprus, Belize, Kenya, Falkland Islands and Iraq/Saudi/Kuwait. It got me to thinking how I wish I could re-visit all those places at those times, but with my current digital system. The slides are OK, but with the opportuniy for near unlimited photos there would be so many more. Tardis anyone? 

 

Webby 

  • Love 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the aspects of photographing other people's slides that I most enjoy is the element of 'time-travel'.

 

Connecting with that split second ( literally) when a camera shutter fired 60 years ago. I can't think of any better time machine.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went on honeymoon to Egypt which included a week long trip down the Nile 13 years ago, long before I had even heard of stock photography. I owned and took my Nikon D50 with me but unfortunately to fit more photos on my couple of SD cards, reduced the camera resolution down... how I now wish that I hadn't done this and has simply just bought more SD cards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I went on honeymoon to Egypt which included a week long trip down the Nile 13 years ago, long before I had even heard of stock photography. I owned and took my Nikon D50 with me but unfortunately to fit more photos on my couple of SD cards, reduced the camera resolution down... how I now wish that I hadn't done this and has simply just bought more SD cards!

Wait till you're a 5-star general and you'll be fine.

Edit- oh, I see. 2500 long side or (aargh) 1500. Eek. Probably avin' a larf to submit them.

Even my first Oly compact was 1984x1488. xD cards cost a packet in 2004, by today's standards. I even got useful money when I sold them on a few years ago. I had a look today to see if any were "archive"- they're probably old enough now.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at the end of a 6 month stint in the jungles and cayes of Belize with my trusty 110 camera (remember them?) when I was given a photo of myself from one of the other lads who had a real SLR. I was blown away by the colours and sharpness compared to the muddy, flat images I had. I bought a Pentax MX as soon as I got back to Germany. That would be around 1977. SLR/DSLR all the way ever since. Memory cards? remember 512MB CF cards???

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Webby said:

I was at the end of a 6 month stint in the jungles and cayes of Belize with my trusty 110 camera (remember them?) when I was given a photo of myself from one of the other lads who had a real SLR. I was blown away by the colours and sharpness compared to the muddy, flat images I had. I bought a Pentax MX as soon as I got back to Germany. That would be around 1977. SLR/DSLR all the way ever since. Memory cards? remember 512MB CF cards???

 

 

Could have had one of these of course:lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_110_Zoom_SLR

Seriously though muddy and flat probably just meant underexposed, not difficult in a cave (or processed in a bucket).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Webby said:

Hi All,

 

Slowly working through my Dad's and my own vast slide collection to cherry pick some for scanning and archive uploads. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have been born into a military family, and joined the Army myself. I spent the 50's in Malta, the 60's in Aden and Kenya, the 70's in Cyprus. (Dad's slides) My own career took me to Germany, Cyprus, Belize, Kenya, Falkland Islands and Iraq/Saudi/Kuwait. It got me to thinking how I wish I could re-visit all those places at those times, but with my current digital system. The slides are OK, but with the opportuniy for near unlimited photos there would be so many more. Tardis anyone? 

 

Webby 

Funny how kids of British servicemen end up being end up along that same well trodden path. I was the same just add Malaya (as it was then). My own career just carried on where dads left of. All the usual places for HM  Forces, some good and some godforsaken.

Andy

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.