can I use iPhone 12

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

https://www.stockimo.com/

Discussing how that app works is not encouraged here.

But with Stockimo you are uploading to the Alamy collection.

wim

I know that. But... even sending new contributors to S***o ? That would be silly.

• Love 2

57 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I know that. But... even sending new contributors to S***o ? That would be silly.

Exactly.

Besides I have no idea how it works. Maybe I should try it. Give people dog ears, or is that another app?

wim

• Like 1

News/Reportage phone images can be uploaded through the Reportage/Archival portal if you have that privilege. I just bit the bullet and bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Image quality from the Max’s main camera, which uses a fairly large sensor for a phone, is comparable to images from the Canon G16, which was on Alamy’s old suitable camera list. 

Edited by TABan
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, TABan said:

News/Reportage phone images can be uploaded through the Reportage/Archival portal if you have that privilege. I just bit the bullet and bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Image quality from the Max’s main camera, which uses a fairly large sensor for a phone, is comparable to images from the Canon G16, which was on Alamy’s old suitable camera list. 

I thought they still had to go via S*******O route. I thought they had a news upload function via that. Has that altered in the last couple of years? 

38 minutes ago, TABan said:

?

21 hours ago, TABan said:

I suspect they shouldn't be though, and this is probably just taking advantage of the fact that QC through those methods is minimal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

I suspect they shouldn't be though, and this is probably just taking advantage of the fact that QC through those methods is minimal.

If they're appropriate for this, meaning they're topical editorial and of decent quality, it shouldn't be a problem. For example, I just uploaded a couple of images from the 12 Pro Max of people queued up wearing face masks and holding packages outside a UPS Store. I used to have Live News privileges but was granted the archival route when that was culled because several of my live new images sold for stock later on.

I wouldn't use it to upload photos of cute cats, etc., though.

14 minutes ago, TABan said:

If they're appropriate for this, meaning they're topical editorial and of decent quality, it shouldn't be a problem. For example, I just uploaded a couple of images from the 12 Pro Max of people queued up wearing face masks and holding packages outside a UPS Store. I used to have Live News privileges but was granted the archival route when that was culled because several of my live new images sold for stock later on.

I wouldn't use it to upload photos of cute cats, etc., though.

As Cal says, you're misusing archival privileges- they're just that, privileges, and for archival images. They are not an excuse to upload news images by the back door.

Can I suggest you delete your posts because you are just asking to be reported.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

As Cal says, you're misusing archival privileges- they're just that, privileges, and for archival images. They are not an excuse to upload news images by the back door.

That's not exactly true. It's Archival/Reportage. And three images I recently uploaded through that route sold pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure I'd get called on it if it was a problem.

7 minutes ago, TABan said:

That's not exactly true. It's Archival/Reportage. And three images I recently uploaded through that route sold pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure I'd get called on it if it was a problem.

Yes but as you say you have had news (ie reportage) privileges withdrawn. You haven't been "called" because it hasn't been spotted yet- how would it be as you're bypassing QC?

Archive and reportage are distinct categories. It's just that quality warning mentions them together. I do not have news privileges and I don't use archival to upload news either. I accept the policy even if I don't agree with it.

Remember this is an open forum and Alamy read it too.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Yes but as you say you have had news (ie reportage) privileges withdrawn. You haven't been "called" because it hasn't been spotted yet- how would it be as you're bypassing QC?

Archive and reportage are distinct categories. It's just that quality warning mentions them together. I do not have news privileges and I don't use archival to upload news either. I accept the policy even if I don't agree with it.

Remember this is an open forum and Alamy read it too.

I had them withdrawn when they went to the upload within 24 hours rather than 48 hours limit as many others did. Then I received an email stating that since several of my news images sold for stock use fairly soon after, I was being granted upload privileges to the Reportage/Archival route. So I'm pretty sure Alamy is okay with it.

I haven't really used S------O, though I joined from the beginning. I remember that that you should choose if the image was a news image. Why would this be if  mobile phone (iPhone) news images shouldn't be uploaded via this route?

Edited by Niels Quist

15 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I haven't really used S------O, though I joined from the beginning. I remember that that you should choose if the image was a news image. Why would this be if  mobile phone (iPhone) news images shouldn't be uploaded via this route?

Well Todd says he has special permission, which is why I haven't reported what seemed to me like a breach of privilege.

• 5 weeks later...

I think Alamy should allow live news from mobile phones through the usual route, rather than suffering a 50% drop in revenue. To recount a story from a couple of year ago. I was standing on a freezing cliffside photographing the sculptures in the sand for Armistice day in Cornwall, when a very well known Getty photographer comes and stands next to me. One of my pics sold to the Telegraph, he had a couple of front pages. I emailed him with congrats, and he got back to me saying the picture that most papers took was off his Iphone - and he had the full range of canon pro gear with him !

Edited by Simon
spelling error

22 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think Alamy should allow live news from mobile phones through the usual route, rather than suffering a 50% drop in revenue. To recount a story from a couple of year ago. I was standing on a freezing cliffside photographing the sculptures in the sand for Armistice day in Cornwall, when a very well known Getty photographer comes and stands next to me. One of my pics sold to the Telegraph, he had a couple of front pages. I emailed him with congrats, and he got back to me saying the picture that most papers took was off his Iphone - and he had the full range of canon pro gear with him !

They were memorable pictures from Porthcurno.