Canon full frame mirrorless recommendations.

Hi all, just thinking about going over to a mirrorless system, I currently use a Canon 5d m2 with a selection of L series lenses so would really want to keep with a Canon system using their lens adaptor, just wondered  if any members had made this move and how they found it? I would be looking at a £1500 budget, thanks 

I've been using the EOS R for over a year now, with the RF24-105mm f4, and the RF35mm f1.8, which has become my favourite lens.

Also using the very old EF70-200mm f4 pre IS lens with the adaptor and it is great too.

Getting used to reading the EVF was a bit of a learning curve, but a definite advantage is being able to review images through the viewfinder in bright situations.

The menus on the R are a bit different to the 5D, I had a 5D MKII, and still have a MKIII, and the biggest issue when using both on a job 

is to remember that the 5D doesn't have EVF!!!

CR3 files are the best I've seen from Canon.

No regrets with the move...

Phil

Hi Nick,

I made a more radical move a few years back. After buying a cheap Fuji X Pro 1 and really enjoying that I sold my Canon 5D Mark 3 and L-series lenses. I replaced them with a Fuji XT2 and Fuji X Pro 2 and some equivalent lenses in the Fuji system to my L-series lenses. I kept a 5D Mark 2 and my Canon 24 to 105 L Series lens but I never use it.

I really liked the Canon equipment but I’ve no regrets over selling it or going to the mirrorless system. Like Phil I love the EVF and less weight hanging off my shoulder was another welcome bonus.

Edited by Steve Hyde

Changing to a mirrorless camera without also moving to the lenses designed for them is kinda missing the point and defeating the significant weight and size reduction benefit of mirrorless.  DSLR lenses are a major contributor to the weight and size.  Make the switch while DSLR lenses still have reasonable residual value.

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Changing to a mirrorless camera without also moving to the lenses designed for them is kinda missing the point and defeating the significant weight and size reduction benefit of mirrorless.  DSLR lenses are a major contributor to the weight and size.  Make the switch while DSLR lenses still have reasonable residual value.

The RF24-105mm f4 is quite heavy at almost 900g.

Feels as big and heavy as some of the EF lenses.

Phil

9 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

The RF24-105mm f4 is quite heavy at almost 900g.

Feels as big and heavy as some of the EF lenses.

Phil

Yep - there will be some bigger/heavier than others based on manufacturer and design.   But generally mirrorless offers noticeable weight/size reductions especially with native glass.  Hanging bigger DSLR glass on a mirrorless body in many cases just seems counter-productive.  

The OP mentioned full-frame mirrorless - specifically Canon.

Consideration of switching systems and glass to something other than Canon opens more possibilities. Such as mirrorless APS-C system bodies and the glass designed for them - example: for APS-C a Fujifilm X-Mount XF18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 weighs 490g.   Nikon's Z mount system has full-frame bodies and offers a NIKKOR Z-mount 24-200mm f/4-6.3 that is 570g.

Choices/options are good.... 

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Phil said:

Yep - there will be some bigger/heavier than others based on manufacturer and design.   But generally mirrorless offers noticeable weight/size reductions especially with native glass.  Hanging bigger DSLR glass on a mirrorless body in many cases just seems counter-productive.  

The OP mentioned full-frame mirrorless - specifically Canon.

Consideration of switching systems and glass to something other than Canon opens more possibilities. Such as mirrorless APS-C system bodies and the glass designed for them - example: for APS-C a Fujifilm X-Mount XF18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 weighs 490g.   Nikon's Z mount system has full-frame bodies and offers a NIKKOR Z-mount 24-200mm f/4-6.3 that is 570g.

Choices/options are good.... 

The RF lens is Canon...

No doubt that the APS-C option offers a much lighter solution but for full frame I think the Canon R series, Nikon Z series, and Sony(There may be others?) are generally bigger and heavier than the Fujis or Canon M. But that's what happens with full frame!

Phil

This life-long Canon user is transitioning from 5Ds to Fujifilm X-T4 which I've been using for jobs and personal work since late Summer and fidgeting about dropping my Canons for good. Fujis RAWS are terrific and the battery life on the T4 is much, much improved (the battery is almost as large as Canon DSLRs) and the 4 shutter options are really useful. Yes, the EVF takes some getting used to but quite frankly, going back to Canon would be a step backwards for me. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Probably not of interest to the OP as it would mean switching to APS-C & Fuji but I see that Park Cameras are offering the Fuji X-E3 in silver (24MP sensor) together with the very decent and compact 18-55mm f2.8/f4 OIS zoom lens for £499 as one of their Black Friday deals, down from £799. I imagine that other dealers may do the same, perhaps the X-E3 is about to be superseded. Seems like a good deal given that the lens on its own is £629.

• 2 weeks later...

I am presently shooting with Canon full frame - 5D3/5D2  plus several EF L lenses. However I am finding that quite often I am just not taking the heavier lenses with me (specifically the 70-200 L f2.8 II) as its just too heavy for the odd occasion that I might use it. The 100-400 f4-5.6 just comes out for special occasions; so my usual lenses are the 24-105 f4L and the 16-35 f4L.

I am seriously considering changing to the new R6 with a couple of RF lenses - specifically the 24-240 which would cover quite a range of focal lengths.

Anyone else looking at this camera?

Kumar

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I am presently shooting with Canon full frame - 5D3/5D2  plus several EF L lenses. However I am finding that quite often I am just not taking the heavier lenses with me (specifically the 70-200 L f2.8 II) as its just too heavy for the odd occasion that I might use it. The 100-400 f4-5.6 just comes out for special occasions; so my usual lenses are the 24-105 f4L and the 16-35 f4L.

I am seriously considering changing to the new R6 with a couple of RF lenses - specifically the 24-240 which would cover quite a range of focal lengths.

Anyone else looking at this camera?

Kumar

If your usual lenses are between wide and short telephoto, I am wondering why you would want to switch to a zoom with such a massive range in focal length. I don't know anything about that lens but typically zooms with such a wide range and variable maximum aperture are nowhere near as good as zooms with a smaller range and constant maximum aperture. Perhaps something shorter and lighter in the 24-70 or 24-105 range might be a better bet to take advantage of the lightness of mirrorless cameras. 

I know that this thread is specifically about Canon cameras but, looking at the price of the R6 body only, it seems that these second generation Canon FF mirrorless cameras are priced very highly in comparison to similar specified Nikons. Unless people are going to use their older Canon lenses with an adapter which is obviously a good reason to stay with Canon, then perhaps thinking about a change of brand might be sensible. The excellent Nikon Z6 with the excellent 24-70 F4 zoom is available for an incredible £1949 at the moment and weighs in at just over 1kg whereas the equivalent Canon R6 with lens is way, way more expensive and is certainly not a better camera judging by what I have been reading.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

The excellent Nikon Z6 with the excellent 24-70 F4 zoom is available for an incredible £1949 at the moment and weighs in at just over 1kg whereas the equivalent Canon R6 with lens is way, way more expensive and is certainly not a better camera judging by what I have been reading.

Hi Mick!

Good to hear from you - I will likely get L type RF lenses, or use my EF ones with the adapter, but for my usual images which are for stock will be well-served by the 24-240 which, from what I have been reading, produces exceptionally good images for it's type and price. Clearly I will want to look more into it, but if I was not going for this I would stay with the EF L 24-105, or maybe look at the RF 24-105 as I have the mark 1 version of the EF lens.

Shall also have a look at the Z6 with 24-70 .... 

Cheers

Kumar

Edited by Doc

Hi Kumar

I should say I wasn’t trying to convert you to Nikon but I do think these new Canons (cameras and lenses) are very overpriced in comparison to the equivalent Nikons, in some cases up to 50% higher. I guess they are relying on customer loyalty and photographers already having Canon kit not wanting to change. 

On 23/11/2020 at 03:17, Richard Baker said:

This life-long Canon user is transitioning from 5Ds to Fujifilm X-T4 which I've been using for jobs and personal work since late Summer and fidgeting about dropping my Canons for good. Fujis RAWS are terrific and the battery life on the T4 is much, much improved (the battery is almost as large as Canon DSLRs) and the 4 shutter options are really useful. Yes, the EVF takes some getting used to but quite frankly, going back to Canon would be a step backwards for me. 

I went from FF Nikon to the Fuji system and never looked back. I’m here to stay. I couldn’t hand-hold the Nikon with the 80-400 lens for birding, not even on the D300 or 7000. I couldn’t hold it steady enough because it was so heavy. I had to use a monopod.

I hand hold my Fuji X-T2 and 100-400 and still get sharp images.

Building on the Fuji theme I see there is a new Fuji X-S10 which seems to be aimed at those downsizing (literally) from DSLR systems since unlike the rest of the Fuji range it has a fairly substantial handgrip and loses the analogue shutter speed dial, instead using the familiar dual control dials. It has the latest 26MP sensor from the X-T4 and 5-stop body IS, it lacks the weather-sealing of the X-T4 though. It's small change compared to the cost of the Canon R6 though the Nikon Z6 plus 24-70 looks like a good deal.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/cameras/x-s10/

Edited by Harry Harrison

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 20:12, Betty LaRue said:

I went from FF Nikon to the Fuji system and never looked back. I’m here to stay. I couldn’t hand-hold the Nikon with the 80-400 lens for birding, not even on the D300 or 7000. I couldn’t hold it steady enough because it was so heavy. I had to use a monopod.

I hand hold my Fuji X-T2 and 100-400 and still get sharp images.

I'm somehow managing to get sharper files from handholding my 23mm f2 and 50-140 f2.8 (at higher ISOs) than when using a tripod! There's something that's not quite working for me though it may be to do with an IS setting.

5 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

I'm somehow managing to get sharper files from handholding my 23mm f2 and 50-140 f2.8 (at higher ISOs) than when using a tripod! There's something that's not quite working for me though it may be to do with an IS setting.

I haven't tested it but I've always understood that IS should be switched off when working from a tripod, I haven't looked into why that might be though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

Something about it here:

https://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods/

10 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

This is better:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/image-stabilization-when-to-use-it-and-when-to-turn-it-off

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 19/12/2020 at 12:46, Harry Harrison said:

Thank you, Harry. A very useful read, although I'm now searching for the setting to turn IS Off on my Fuji. Not as simple as you'd imagine.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just received yesterday the Canon RP with RF 24-105 F4-7.1.......first impressions are great! I bought the RP because Ken Rockwell said so (no just kidding). I bought it because of the size and weight, I put it against my Canon 5D Mk ii and the RP is tiny. I'm going to save up for the Canon RF 15-35L f2.8 lens for when traveling becomes a possibility again. I got my RP from a Canadian dealer who had the Christmas discounts on the Canon cameras saved $200.