Accurate Time

Bryan

Question

As it's the time to put the clocks back in the UK I've been using my smartphone to get an accurate time signal. However I've noticed that my fibre optic connected Windows 10 desktop is 2 minutes behind the phone. They are both adjusted to set automatically to BST. Any idea why they are different and which is more likely to be correct?

I guess that I could listen for the time signal on the radio, but that is also problematic as the FM and DAB signals are not time synchronised - although much closer than 2 minutes!

Edited by Bryan

11 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Check the computer time on

time.is

It shouldn't be more than a second out. If it is, resynchronise it  by clicking on the time icon, internet time, change settings, update now (that's for win7).

Mine shows as 0.3sec. behind.

Thanks Mark, that very much helped me on the way! 

Slightly different in Win 10 it appears.

Control Panel, Date and Time, Internet Time, Change Settings, Update Now.

Clocks now synchronized.

32 minutes ago, Russell said:

I always leave mine set to GMT, wherever I am.

I find it useful  to check that my cameras are set to precisely the same time so it's a good opportunity, annoying to see pictures out of sync in Lightroom if you're using two cameras with slightly different times. It can be relatively easily fixed in Lightroom though, I've done that on occasion.

2 hours ago, Russell said:

I always leave mine set to GMT, wherever I am.

As I always now buy used I always leave mine set to whatever it was when I bought it. My cameras usually die in November so it's been GMT for a while now.

I did get caught out in New Zealand though.:blink: Coundn't work out why my new daily folders started at around lunchtime.

I have a fantasy about being a Crown Court witness because my images are evidence and the case turning on the hour's difference. I say to the defence barrister "no, counsel, I always keep my cameras set to GMT".:)

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

I corrected the time on my cameras this morning, + on 2 wall clocks downstairs. Still have the car to do.

Darn I forgot the car clock.

Allan