'Good discoverablilty' down graded to 'poor' - cause for concern?

Hi all, I joined Alamy in 2008 and uploaded a couple of hundred images over the course of the first few years.

Photography has taken a backseat since then and I've just let my account tick along with, on average, 2 or 3 sales a year. The problem recently though is that when I open my account all the images, that I keyworded meticulously, are now marked in orange as having 'poor discoverability' when they initially had a 'good discoverability' rating.

I'm not sure how I can keyword them any better (without being superflous) so am at a bit of a loss why they have been marked down this way. Is it something I should worry about or shall I just trust that people will find them?

11 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I'd say... "don't worry". Alamy's discoverability idea looks irrelevant to me (and many others). Adding superfluous tags seems kinda pointless...

+1

Kumar

25 minutes ago, willn said:

Hi all, I joined Alamy in 2008 and uploaded a couple of hundred images over the course of the first few years.

Photography has taken a backseat since then and I've just let my account tick along with, on average, 2 or 3 sales a year. The problem recently though is that when I open my account all the images, that I keyworded meticulously, are now marked in orange as having 'poor discoverability' when they initially had a 'good discoverability' rating.

I'm not sure how I can keyword them any better (without being superflous) so am at a bit of a loss why they have been marked down this way. Is it something I should worry about or shall I just trust that people will find them?

Might be worth having a look into the subject a bit more in certain cases and thinking of keywords. The two quirky pictures of the white swan against a blue sky only have three keywords! To help you, you could at least add the following:

white swan

mute swan

Cygnus olor

anatidae

waterfowl

and perhaps the location, although I don't necessarily think location is vital for pictures where they could be anywhere.

• Love 1

Thanks for your swift replies folks, Cal thanks for the suggestions, I'll take them onboard , those photos are probably a bit misrepresentative though as most of my other photos have pretty comprehensive wording (I think?). What puzzles me is how the images were deemed well worded some years ago but not anymore 😕

Edited by willn

1 hour ago, willn said:

Thanks for your swift replies folks, Cal thanks for the suggestions, I'll take them onboard , those photos are probably a bit misrepresentative though as most of my other photos have pretty comprehensive wording (I think?). What puzzles me is how the images were deemed well worded some years ago but not anymore 😕

you still seem to be a bit minimalist.  For example

Image ID: BE7E8RImage ID: BE7E8R Marae, New Zealand 

the image is actually only a "close-up" of "wooden" "sculpture" representing "insert what this face is" which is "architectural detail" of a building in "East Cape" 

none of these words are there, so people looking for this will likely not find it. And i assume someone looking for Marae are probably looking for the full building. 

I don't know what Alamy looked like back in 2008, I've only been a member since last year. So a lot could've changed for their discoverability criteria.

What I see is that the Optional tab of information also affects that rating. Make sure to go into it and add/update as necessary for the older images.

Right thanks guys, it looks like there's a few things for me to look into. Space cadet, I didn't realise it was a newish thing, thanks for the correction, perhaps they were never ranked 'good!' I always thought I'd captioned them in a way that struck a good balance but perhaps not. I shall look into this more. Much appreciated all :)

15 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Will, don't sorry about getting your images to green 'optimum'. There's loads of threads about it on the forum:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/9625-poor-discoverability-photos/

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11478-discoverable/

Steve

Thanks Steve, those were really interesting links, I'm going to go through my images just making sure there is nothing obvious that I can add and perhaps completing the optional box otherwise I'll make peace with the orange highlight!!

15 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Alamy brought in this 'discoverability' idea and then (unless I missed a memo) neglected to explain why!

John, I know, there probably was a memo but I also missed it. Seems it's caused quite a lot of confusion going by the 2 links above!